Votes: 9 2.7%
  • Civ 2 - The One to beat

Votes: 50 14.7%
  • Civ 3 - The Middle Child

Votes: 41 12.1%
  • Civ 4 - The New Ruler

Votes: 239 70.5%

• Total voters
Some of the people I'm sure didn't get to play Civ 1. You can't compare civ1 to civ4 by today's standards. That's like comparing the special effects of the original King Kong to today's. It's not fair.

I voted for civ1 because without it this series wouldn't exist as we know it, and I spent the most amount of time with that one (with Colonization being a close second, civ 2 a distant third, and civ3 last). Civ4 is my vote for the runner-up.

For me, it's :

#1 - Civ 4
#2 - Civ 1 (Still love it)
#3 - Civ 3
#4 - Civ 2 (I hated that one)

I'm surprised to read so many negative opinions of Civ 3. I've only played 3 and 4, not discovering Civilization until 2001.

What was wrong with 3?

podraza said:
I'm surprised to read so many negative opinions of Civ 3. I've only played 3 and 4, not discovering Civilization until 2001.

What was wrong with 3?

Corruption.

I just played a game 2 days ago and my second city founded a bit away from capital to get iron had more than 50% resource corruption. That's just frustrating.

Carn

carn said:
Corruption.

I just played a game 2 days ago and my second city founded a bit away from capital to get iron had more than 50% resource corruption. That's just frustrating.

Carn
Corruption in Civ 3 is nothing unmanageable. I never took it as a majr drawback, but as one of the many apsects of the game.

Back to the topic : I voted Civ1
I've played them all. But none gave me the same thrill as civ 1. Even the poor graphics (compared to today's, because at that time they looked brilliant) got me on the hook. I continued to play it even after I had bought Civ2...

Give me Civ3 any day- putting the vote in an cIV forum is a bit biased.

C3C is still better than Civ 4. You have to aim for your goal the whole way though the game. if your goual becomes unreasonable to obtain, your stuffed. In c3c, if your conquest attemp starts falling though the floor, you could still get domination. If your attemping a diplo win and you stuff up your rep, then you aim for space. And there are more choices to make in C3C. In 4, i find that i need to build things in a certain order or im dead. And the 3d graphics slowed my game down to a crawl.

arcan said:
Corruption in Civ 3 is nothing unmanageable. I never took it as a majr drawback, but as one of the many apsects of the game.

I do not say it's not manageable, for me it kills a lot of fun and there was asked for reasons, why civ3 has such a bad rep with many posters in this thread compared to other civ versions.

Carn

I played Civ3 for almost four years. Ask me about my opinion on Civ4 in a few years and I'll be able to tell you.

Civ2 never came close to Civ3, IMO. At the time, MOO2 wiped the floor with it in my books. ;)

C3C for me, its been addictive to me for a long time, only just getting bored with it now that emperor is too easy (above emperor its more about exploiting than playing).

Having said that ive put lots of time into civ 1, civ2, smac, and even ctp 2.

Civ IV is the first civ game ive bought and left in its case after a brief try.

Of course an expansion might make it better than C3C eventually

Have to say putting poll in this forum is unlikely to get neutral votes.

I am going with CIV III edging out CIV IV. I believe in a few months IV will overtake III. I'm just in a comfort zone with III

I currently prefer Civ III, but like others have said, we'll wait for expansions before there's a final say.

The reason I can't go back to Civ II or I is the lack of cultural borders. This was probably the greatest idea ever for the Civ franchise.

I’ll have to vote for Civ 2 even if I love Civ 4. The reason is that Civ 2 was really fun to play even on Deity level. In Civ 4 you are too far behind in technology on higher difficulty levels and that’s not fun IMO. I never played Civ 1 and I didn’t like Civ 3 because of the brainless corruption system.

Red Boxer said:
You can't view them by todays standards. You have to view them by the time they were put out. (Thats like saying we're stupid for making 386 computers because we made better ones 10 years later)

My vote is for Civ2, and I'm only considering Civs 1-3.
Civ4 is not completed yet, they'll patch it another time or 2 and release an expansion or two.

yeah and then civ4 might just be finished. just in time for xmas 2006 :mischief:

by the way in civ4 expansion will just be another word for big patch to try and finish it

boneys26 said:
by the way in civ4 expansion will just be another word for big patch to try and finish it

No, the expansion will bring in new bugs which will need to be patched. It will probably make it less finished than it was before the expansion until the first expansion patch.

My vote is for Civ2, as others says, it had the greatest fun factor, even if I cheated to a major extend with it (which is allowed when you'r playing just for fun :) )

For Civ4 the jury is still out. The fun factor is almost gone, so I find no real inclination to continue a save of a game for which I'm already pretty sure I'm gonna to win it. On the other hand, having moved to a higher level I find I have real adreline kicks just to fend off some unexpected AI attacks, which is great. The problem remains though, once I've fended them off and got my Kremlin and Kozaks, why load the save the next day to continue playing that game? I often just start a new one. Which is my major reason for voting Civ2, I always wanted to finish those games!

In Civ 1 the use of graphic counters for units, whilst less inspiring than rendered 3-D, did the business perfectly - perhaps it's just me harking back to the good old days of board games.

No doubt that the world looks far more gorgeous now, but some of the new unit animations are really just in place to keep pace with other games and don't, when you think about it, add a whole lot more to the gameplay.

azzaman333 said:
No, the expansion will bring in new bugs which will need to be patched. It will probably make it less finished than it was before the expansion until the first expansion patch.

LOL and you know it too :lol: LMAO

for me its all about civ 4. Personally I have thought each version of the game was an improvement over the prior one. something were lost in translation that I miss and wish they would bring back but the over all picture is still the same and the improvements are impressive. they haven't made a civ game that I didn't get addicted to and I could probably play any version and enjoy it.

Top Bottom