Which expansion packs

Alan Vincent

Chieftain
Hi,

New to the forum, so be gentle.

I have Civilization 5 but I've not really played it before. From reading between the lines it seems it's regarded as 'not a complete game without the expansion packs'.

So my question is (and with cost the predominant factor here), does either of the expansion packs G&K or BNW really stand out above the other. What are the pros and cons of having just one and if so which one etc etc.

Advice gratefully received.

Thanks Alan.

Hi, You really want to get Civ V: Complete. It contains G&K, BNW and all the special DLC's that were put out. Definitely don't just get G&K. BNW changed the game significantly and most people say much for the better. The Complete version is $20 more than BNW right now. But there is also probably a Spring Steam Sale coming up and it may be on sale then.

Hi, You really want to get Civ V: Complete. It contains G&K, BNW and all the special DLC's that were put out. Definitely don't just get G&K. BNW changed the game significantly and most people say much for the better. The Complete version is $20 more than BNW right now. But there is also probably a Spring Steam Sale coming up and it may be on sale then.

Hi Raider,

Thanks for the info. As I already have Civ 5 vanilla, what are your views on just adding BNW then?

If you really want to buy it now and save $20 you can get BNW. However, I wouldn't recommend it. I think you will be missing some civs that were included in G&K as well as the scenarios and perhaps other things like luxes (I'm not sure though) - I found this thread in here in Civ Fanatics:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/does-bnw-include-g-k-gameplay.500537/https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/does-bnw-include-g-k-gameplay.500537/

Look at the options on Steam and see if saving $20 is worth it. You'll be able to see what you'll be missing out on - mainly civs, scenarios, and maps.

Also, if you ever want to participate in the shared games here on Civ Fanatics like GotM, CDG, EDGE then I don't think you'll be able to play them unless you have the required civs and map packs (which generally are the ones in Complete).

I still recommend the Complete version. Maybe someone else will chime in too, especially the things you'll be missing.

Top Bottom