Which game engine to use? (Godot, Unity, Unreal etc)

Kyriakos

Creator
Since I finally have a new pc, there's no point in still using ancient game engines :)
Anyone here follow the trends? Maybe Unity, since it has the most assets and a good market? (but do they really allow you to monetize your games without fees etc?)

Unity ? No longer a good idea
At least wait until the entire pay per install is played out and the dust settled

Unity May Never Win Back the Developers It Lost in Its Fee Debacle​

Even though the company behind the wildly popular game engine walked back its controversial new fee policy, the damage is done.

The honest answer is: any will do, if you're just planning on learning how to do things. If you have grand ideas for a project of some kind, only then is a choice really needed (and even then, I recommend giving a few for a spin before making a decision).

However, FriendlyFire is absolutely right in that Unity has suffered blow after blow from management of late (with the much-publicised "pay to install" only being the last in a long line of things Unity developers have had to deal with). CryEngine I believe had issues in the past couple of years, but my memory is shot and I can't remember.

Godot is increasingly recommended, but again, it really depends what you want to do. Unreal is very flexible up to a point with blueprints, but having to delve into C++ if you need to move past blueprints can be a downside. Even GameMaker has its uses.

The honest answer is: any will do, if you're just planning on learning how to do things. If you have grand ideas for a project of some kind, only then is a choice really needed (and even then, I recommend giving a few for a spin before making a decision).

However, FriendlyFire is absolutely right in that Unity has suffered blow after blow from management of late (with the much-publicised "pay to install" only being the last in a long line of things Unity developers have had to deal with). CryEngine I believe had issues in the past couple of years, but my memory is shot and I can't remember.

Godot is increasingly recommended, but again, it really depends what you want to do. Unreal is very flexible up to a point with blueprints, but having to delve into C++ if you need to move past blueprints can be a downside. Even GameMaker has its uses.
I'd like to try a 3d game, specifically 3d adventure/puzzle. What would you recommend?
Gfx don't need to be super-realistic or taxing, just a working 3d environment.
Also, I definitely do not want to pay just to install, or even to release a game. I am ok if some features of the engine (within reason, not watermarks :lol: ) are locked if you don't pay, or if they take a cut from a released game.

Last edited:
I'd like to try a 3d game, specifically 3d adventure/puzzle. What would you recommend?
Gfx don't need to be super-realistic or taxing, just a working 3d environment.
Also, I definitely do not want to pay just to install, or even to release a game. I am ok if some features of the engine (within reason, not watermarks :lol: ) are locked if you don't pay, or if they take a cut from a released game.
Honestly, avoiding Unity, Unreal is probably your best bet. Neither charge for simply publishing a game, though Unreal applies a royalty fee if the game's gross lifetime revenue exceeds $1 million.

Honestly, avoiding Unity, Unreal is probably your best bet. Neither charge for simply publishing a game, though Unreal applies a royalty fee if the game's gross lifetime revenue exceeds $1 million.
I will try it, though a 25GB engine might be a bit excessive for a simple 3d environment :D

Just make it in 3js

Wolfenstein 3D engine is superior.

Goddammit Erika

I dled Unreal (Unreal 5, to be exact), and will have a look.
For something that takes almost 25 gigabytes, it should be very impressive, but like I said I don't plan to have ultra-realistic 3d.
By the way, can anyone (given their computer can handle it) play an Unreal5 game, or are those only distributable if you've intalled some company server/only hosted there? Because that also isn't optimal (up to now I was using public sites, like itch.io, to host).
Googling it, it appears itch.io does host some games made with Unreal.

The "FIND ALL" hidden object games on Steam are popular with some of the people on another gaming forum I belong to. According to the credits, these games are "made with Unity."

Right now I'm searching for wooden buckets, space aliens, and mushrooms in a wizard's house.

By the way, can anyone (given their computer can handle it) play an Unreal5 game, or are those only distributable if you've intalled some company server/only hosted there? Because that also isn't optimal (up to now I was using public sites, like itch.io, to host).
Should be absolutely fine.

Hm, I exported a test "game", with Unreal5.
It runs ok (well duh, it's only a corridor :D ), but already got the message in the editor-run-game (not the exported game) that it uses up 4GB of vram. For nothing.
Which isn't good at all, so I may also try Godot.
Also, I remained unconvinced that Unreal5 games actually can be run by the vast majority of the indie market players.

Also, isn't 800 MB a little ridiculous for a one-corridor 3d game? ^^
Damn it, it looks exceedingly likely I will have to try Godot too, although there it looks like most 3d games use Playstation 2 gfx.

Edit: dled and run Godot. The interface looks excellent :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom