Which game is better: Civ IV or Civ V?

Which Civilization game is better?

• Civ IV

Votes: 40 78.4%
  • Civ V

Votes: 11 21.6%

• Total voters
I think they're about equal with all expansions.
I prefer hexes and 1upt and really like the addition of natural wonders, more unique civ bonuses and customizable religions and the way strategic resources work and that the units don't day after one battle in 5, but I really miss the sliders, more flexible governments and the wider variety of tile improvements in 4. Civ4 also handled expansion better with growing cottages to support your city upkeep while 5 encourages you get four cities asap and hardly grow your empore at all after that.

Considering the userbase of OT it'd probably be more interesting to see who would win out of 3 and 4.

Civ IV I like better because of the mods, particularly Dawn of Civ. I like Civ V better for unmodded games.

Civ 2 has a ww2 scenario but it was terrible because the allies and axis would keep making peace with each other after a while. If you were France the allies would be pissed at you for “not fighting hard enough” when you’re doing everything you can and getting your ass kicked. And Russia just sat out there and never got involved because the axis ai was too smart to attack them. And Spain being included in that scenario serves no purpose whatsoever.

Civ 2 has a ww2 scenario but it was terrible because the allies and axis would keep making peace with each other after a while. If you were France the allies would be pissed at you for “not fighting hard enough” when you’re doing everything you can and getting your ass kicked. And Russia just sat out there and never got involved because the axis ai was too smart to attack them. And Spain being included in that scenario serves no purpose whatsoever.

Yeah, World War II scenarios with the AI don't really work unless there's rails, like a script that makes automatic declarations of war at the proper historical times. Even then you can get in trouble, I played the Civ 4 ww2 scenario which has automatic DOWs at the correct times. I played as the USSR and promptly invaded Germany in June 1941 because the German AI didn't know the war was coming.

No shortage of Civ2 WW2 Mods, Especially the Dictator series.
And yes, they do use a lot of scripting to make the AI function.

I meant the official scenario that came with the game. Not mods.

I meant the official scenario that came with the game. Not mods.
That was horrid, but i did learn a lot from tweaking it (adding more cities and units, tweaking tech trees, watching as the neutrals conquer Europe...)

What are you talking about? The Axis pwned the neutrals in every game I played. Meaning the AI Axis.

What are you talking about? The Axis pwned the neutrals in every game I played. Meaning the AI Axis.
Not after i was finished "tweaking it". By the time i was done it wasn't even remotely historical. The custom death robot units kinda gave them a bit of an edge...even against the Nazi UFO's.:mischief:

The consensus has always been "Civ4 is better" by a VERY significant margin.
I blame brainwashing by marketting for the few lost souls who can't see the light.

How? Queuing in Civ 5 is two clicks.
Queuing in Civ4 is one (shift-click).

I mean tbh the civilization series isn't really all that good overall

You know, I'm actually coming around to this way of thinking. There seem to be just so many better options to fulfill my 4x needs out there now that Civ isn't really all that interesting to me anymore. I still haven't even bought Civ 6 yet and I really don't see myself ever buying it because I don't like the direction the series is heading in and there are just so many superior 4x games out there now.

You'd better delete this quick. You can get an instant permaban for sharing that opinion on the civfanatics forum. :nono:

IV for me. I never could get into V. The tedium of 1 UPT per tile contributed, as did the lackluster AI, but the small empires was perhaps even more of it. A couple people have mentioned "4 cities" as optimal in Civ5, and that's probably a good chunk of why I didn't like it. I like the "build an empire to stand the test of time" feeling, and that's just too small to get that feeling for me. National wonders requiring buildings to be present in all cities didn't help, either.

If there's a mod that favors larger empires and doesn't have 1 UPT, it's possible I could like it... but I also doubt I'll ever go back to V. There's too much content for III and IV to justify trying V again.

I haven't bought VI. It's possible that if I treated it as a completely different game, rather than a civ game, I might find it a decent game. Things like districts (which worked in Endless Legend), policies (implemented in a way I'd been advocating for years), and dark/heroic ages sound potentially good. But between seeming to hew too close to V (1 UPT, map, general feel), the cartoony graphics, and the poor reviews, I've stayed away. As a Civilization game, however, it seems to continue the trend of moving/staying away from what caused me to like the series in the first place.

If there's a mod that favors larger empires

There is. Well, kinda. There is a mod in the Steam Workshop that removes the happiness mechanic from the game which means you can found and conquer as many cities as you want without having to worry about the penalties associated with happiness. And for anyone who thinks it might be cheating to remove the happiness mechanic, it isn't. At least not when playing against the AI. It has been confirmed that the AI is not affected by the happiness mechanic so I think it's only fair that a human player shouldn't be affected by it either.

I downloaded that mod and now I can't stand playing Civ 5 without it. I just wish someone would make a similar mod for Beyond Earth. Or at least if someone has, I haven't seen it.

As a Civilization game, however, it seems to continue the trend of moving/staying away from what caused me to like the series in the first place.
Yeah, I hated Civ5 with unending contempt, and I didn't even bother to check on Civ6 as it seemed to follow the path of its predecessor. I really feel there was a fundamental break between Civ4 and Civ5, and that the old serie died with the 4.

Top Bottom