Which is ur favorite Tech quote?

spicytimothy

Warlord
My favorite one is:

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." - Benjamin Franklin

So true in this day and age... :-(

Which correspond to my favorite quote OUTSIDE of the game:

"The only Bush I trust is my own." :lol:

Bio-Engineering

Why do you insist that the human genetic code is "sacred" or "taboo"? It is a chemical process and nothing more. For that matter -we- are chemical processes and nothing more. If you deny yourself a useful tool simply because it reminds you uncomfortably of your mortality, you have uselessly and pointlessly crippled yourself.

Chairman Sheng-ji Yang, "Looking God in the Eye"

"Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl"

Anima Croatorum said:
Bio-Engineering
Why do you insist that the human genetic code is "sacred" or "taboo"? It is a chemical process and nothing more. For that matter -we- are chemical processes and nothing more. If you deny yourself a useful tool simply because it reminds you uncomfortably of your mortality, you have uselessly and pointlessly crippled yourself.

Because the ability to create the "perfect" human is not merely a tool, but the end of humankind as we know it. People like Beethoven would never have made the "cut", and personally, I don't deny handicapped or otherwise "imperfect" humans the right to live, or the right to enjoy life in the ways available to them. I also don't consider myself a "chemical process and nothing more", and even though that may only be human arrogance "and nothing more", science has yet to explain what "thinking is". In fact, science can't even fully explain how the brain works. It's simply to early to attempt to "break the human genetic code". Just like must everything else, the human species will misuse it, and ultimately to our disadvantage.

Sorry, this was probably just a tad off-topic. ;)

Cironir said:
Because the ability to create the "perfect" human is not merely a tool, but the end of humankind as we know it. People like Beethoven would never have made the "cut", and personally, I don't deny handicapped or otherwise "imperfect" humans the right to live, or the right to enjoy life in the ways available to them. I also don't consider myself a "chemical process and nothing more", and even though that may only be human arrogance "and nothing more", science has yet to explain what "thinking is". In fact, science can't even fully explain how the brain works. It's simply to early to attempt to "break the human genetic code". Just like must everything else, the human species will misuse it, and ultimately to our disadvantage.

Perhaps a tad, yes. Do you have a favorite?

Or it could eliminate birth defects and make people live 10 times longer :D

I haven't heard them all yet, but they're all pretty heavy ;)

"If you chase after two rabbits you will lose both" ---Naitive American Saying

not sure if its 100% correct but i love that one :)

Cironir said:

science is only going to get more and more dangerous... are we supposed to just give up or wait till we're more mature as a race/society/people? we have to push on and understand every facet of the universe; not to conquer it, but to understand and live with it in harmony...

whats the point of being conscious if we're not to improve ourselves and maintain our survival. if we dont play with our genome and eventually leave this planet, we're dead, but if we change our dna to adapt to different enviroments the tribes of Earth will survive^^

I noticed you said "Science hasn't explained..."

Just so you know, science, doesn't explain anything. Science is a process that attempts to explain observable phenomenon. These "explanations" are called theories or hypothesis, and are subject to change, and only represent a current "best guess" about what is going on in a system.

Specifically the sentance "Science hasn't even explained how the human brain works" makes no sense. A process of anylizing observable phenomenon will not, in and of itself, "explain" human thought. However what this statement is attempting to say is "the current theories regarding human brain chemistry and function, fail to accuratly account for all the complexities of human thought." Wich is somewhat true. However we do know about depolarization potentials, how they are activated, and the chemical and physical changes which inititate them. So the threory is sound. However to assume we could (under the current constraints of modern technology) observe, and then test through a reproduceable experiment, a human thought, given the variables involved in a nueral network (100s of axial connections on individual neurons, billions of neurons to account for, different rates of secretion at a synaptic cleft, different sensitivity of different neurons to different chemicals--as well as different sensitivities of the individual neuron itself depending on where it is recieving the signal), is proposterous. No physiologist is suggesting they have a working theory of how the "code" and physical analysis of this "code" is read and interpreted by the brain. However depolarizations occure in neurons, and binary storage of data works fine in a computer, and is a reproduceable experiment (build a computer and have it anylize data) that coroborates the current theories regarding the brain.

I researched some of the tech quotes for Civ4. My favorite is one of these, the Currency quote. :cool:

I love the steam power one, something like

"You're trying to tell me you're going to set ships against the wind by setting fires below their decks? What a horribly bad idea." - Napoleon to Robert Fulton.

doronron: Why u gotta be H8in? :p

"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair.' Nothing besides remain."
- Percy Bysshe Shelley

I forgot what tech it was....

Top Bottom