Which is your favorite civ historically?

Rome.

Interestingly, I have a strong interest in the Middle Ages, so I really cannot say I narrow my interest down to single nations - I like the big picture.

But Rome is outstanding. I also like Greek mythology.

Definitely Byzantium (or Byzantines, as the game rather stupidly refers to it). Combined Greek thought, Roman politics, and Christian theology. The greatest European civilization of the middle ages.

Arabs - After the beginning and spread of Islam
Indians - Although really great how they got their independance from british but I personally am more interested in the ancient Indian history like invasion of moghuls etc. :cool:

Originally posted by toh6wy
I must agree that American history is boring compared to the others - and also had a lot more "d'oh" kinda moments, if you know what I mean. :)

Well i think everyone has had a lot of "d'oh" moments. I like American history, the thing is, there just isn't a lot of it because we've only been around what, 225 years? Just not that much time compared with most other countries.

And also lots of countries have done worse things to other peoples than America did to the Indians...

Anyway, I also like Roman/Greek history, like they say, the Mediteranean was the cradle of civilization. Scandinavian history is also fairly interesting, i like their fairly unique outlook on warfare and the afterlife.

I must say, I find American history quite fun. The Revolutionary War and its preceeding events are something I quite enjoy studying. Also, I like the Romans, since my ancestors were Romans, [and they were simply kick-a$$] Also, Greeks are quite good as well, though I more like their mythology. I also like the more general trends and stories of history, the great epic events that changed it, the men and women who caused things to change... and the revolutionary men who somehow managed to create the first modern democracy, as well as one of history's most successful nations. (U.S.A., that is.) That which came from the Great Experiment is one of the greatest stories I've ever heard, honestly...

The Vikings were very interesting, but weren't they pretty much the most ruthless killers in Europe? Didn't the downfall of their power coincide with them getting a heart and not wanting to kill and pillage endlessly? Not like the Spartans, who never got a heart, but never learned to learn, causing their downfall. I think Greek history is the best, because it encompasses so many different episodes over a very long period. But, the shear Roman power and influence is hard to beat when they were the world power.

Originally posted by collin_stp
The Vikings were very interesting, but weren't they pretty much the most ruthless killers in Europe? Didn't the downfall of their power coincide with them getting a heart and not wanting to kill and pillage endlessly?

Well, sort of. I'm no expert, but i read a book on Norse history and it sounds like when they all converted to Christianity that sort of calmed them down, and they started to integrate more into the other European countries and take up their ways of life.... sort of like a Civ culture flip or something.

For me, The Greeks.

We should make a poll, so that it would be easier to track what people are saying.

Interesting thing, wanting to be able to play a civ in my heritage, Poland, led me to studying and researching Polish history in a way I never had before (in order to mod it in well). The end result is I am no longer ambivalent about being of Polish descent (fourth generation american), but am now quite proud of it. If I were to pick one favorite, it would probably have to be Poland, but there are so many other favorites.

I am fascinated with the Phoenicians (Carthage) but have to mod to play them.

Hard to get over the human sacrifice thing with the Mayans, but they were truly remarkable astronomers and mathematicians for the amount of contact they had with other civs.

The way the Mongols handled the nations they conquered is remarkable.

I also have an Irish background and am hooked on the Kelts as well.

I like the way the Koreans have always survived caught in between larger/more powerful neighbors such as China, Japan, Mongolia, and Russia.

For their sheer longevity as a civ and volume of accomplishments throughout time the Chinese are also cool.

Civ has gotten my nine year old son hooked on learning about ancient and middle age civilizations and his favorites are the Greeks (because they had cool triremes and the phalanx formation), the Romans (because their legions were so good), the Hittites (because of their iron weapons), and of course the Polish (because they had winged Husaria and considered being outnumbered 10-1 good odds). Guess you can tell he tends to like learning about military history more than other areas.

Originally posted by The Commander

Well, sort of. I'm no expert, but i read a book on Norse history and it sounds like when they all converted to Christianity that sort of calmed them down, and they started to integrate more into the other European countries and take up their ways of life.... sort of like a Civ culture flip or something.

Since I'm norwegian, and my favorite is the vikings (of course) I have to say that this isn't completely correct. The vikings had a very complex culture, and the majority of them were farmers and traders. There were also some barbarians who plundered and burned down churches, and they are the ones who got most attention in the rest of Europe.

The vikings had a complex goverment (a combination of anarchy, monarchy and democracy), they used to wash themselves once a week (pretty unique at that time) and the women had rights that the rest of the world had to wait a long time to get. (they totally ruled the viking home, they had the right to divorce and owned the stuff they brought into the marriage, etc.)

And Christianity wasn't the only reason they became less violent. That started a few houndred years before Norway was officially christian. Some people I know like to think that if it wasn't for christianity we would still go over to London and do our "shopping" in longboats, and even though it's a tempting idea, ;) I have to say that I disagree... I think that scandinavia would have become just as "civilized" as the rest of Europe, also without christianity.

So, anyway, my favorite is the Vikings, also when it comes to mytology. I also like the Celts, India and Egypt.

Originally posted by soren
For me, The Greeks.

We should make a poll, so that it would be easier to track what people are saying.
I didn't post a pool becuase thier is like a 20 choice limit for polls which would be unfair for the other 11 civs and the people who like them.

Hmm, I'm surprised Xen hasn't found this thread yet. :)

Probably Rome, Japan and the Aztecs for me.

Top Bottom