Which is your favorite civ historically?

Originally posted by NankingDan
Carthaginians: Brilliant Civ, Just plain cool, nearly destroyed Rome
Iroquois: Nearly achieved social harmony
Mayans: My parents went to Chichen Itza and brought a video camera to film some of their engineering and architecture. My god, those Mayans were SMART people. They even had universities and civil service exams. I think, in the game, they should have possibly been scientific.

Mayans

Scientific for sure.

How did they know that on the winter solstice Dec 21, 2012 that the plain of our solar system was going to align with the plain of our galaxy. That has only been confirmed in the during the last few decades.

They were just as mathematically advanced as the Greeks.

Originally posted by Chieftess
Hmm, I'm surprised Xen hasn't found this thread yet. :)

I'm not so sure that Xen has ever stepped foot into the Civ forums. ;)

My favorite civs would have to be the Romans, Greeks (again for the mythology), and I love the studying the American Revolution

ROMA PRIMA OPTIMA MAXIMA!
in other words, Rome- partiuvurlaley that of the republic, and the pre Severan era Empire

followe dby Classical Greece,Minoa, Mycenaeans and Byzantium at a tie

then Egypt

the then Babylonians, Hittites, Phoneicans, Assyrians, Persians, Nubians, Mali, Kush, the list goes on for this spot with civs all over the world, that are far to interesting to be placed lower then this, but dont hold a smuch interest for me as the ones listed above (some of which I have conections stronget then just interest anyway)

that said, thatks to Chieftess for PMing me this thread ;)

I have to agree with those who have said it before, Rome was the ultimate civilization. What continues to fascinate me was the technology they had back then. There was one guy I saw a special on once (gotta love the Discovery channel :) ) who was something of the Roman equivalent of Thomas Edison... He invented all kinds of things, including the vending machine. I sometimes find myself wondering where we would be now had we not lost 1,000 years after the fall of Rome... and how far will the world backslide when our civilization collapses?

There was one guy I saw a special on once (gotta love the Discovery channel ) who was something of the Roman equivalent of Thomas Edison... He invented all kinds of things, including the vending machine.
I think the one guy you're thinking of is Heron of Alexandria, who invented a sort of vending machine for use in temples, as well as the steam engine (sort of). He was Greek, actually. I'm pretty I saw that same show on the Discovery channel.

I would say the Chinese, how they survied all of their wars, and etc... and still a major player in the world politicsl.

This question is certainnly going to be biased on background and such. I would therefore have to say Vikings then :viking:

Except for this I like them all :)

Frosty

I like everyone that tried to conquer the orld or could but didn't and this is the order for the civ3 civs:

Mongols
China
Rome
Greece
Vikings
Arabs
France( NAPOLEON!!!)

china bever tried to conqoure the world- neither did the Romans, bot expanded because the political situations they, or the government were in made it a nessectity to expand into new territories- because quite franklly, if Rome had wanted to take over the world, Hadrians wall wouldnt have been built, primirlly because instead of invasiosn meant to merelly teach the local population a lesson, it would have been for conquest, somthign that every one aroudn them couldnt withstand, the only possible candidate for with standing a determined Roman invasion was parthia, and Emperor Trajan showed how badlly Parthia fared against a Roman army bent on conquest.

China, I'm a huge fan of the book "Three Kingdoms" i've read it about 3 times (those 2000+ pages) i just love their history, hate their communism :)

every civilization that has ever existed has tried to conquer more land at one point or another, certainly they would have conquered all land (the world) if they could!

also earlier i saw someone here saying the vikings gave up their plundring/trading campaings because of the goodness of their hearts!!

sound noble,i wish it was true, it is not!

human nature dosent work like that,trust me on this one ;)

Originally posted by erez87
I like everyone that tried to conquer the [w]orld or could but didn't and this is the order for the civ3 civs:

Mongols
China
Rome
Greece
Vikings
Arabs
France( NAPOLEON!!!)

Hmm...I'm not sure I understand you here.

"I like everyone that tried to conquer the world..."

Do you mean "I like everyone THAT IS IN THE CIV GAME that tried to conquer the world," or "I like everyone [gernerally speaking] that tried to conquer the world?"

I hope it isn't the latter, or at least if it is, that you didn't think too much, since, for example, the Nazis tried to conquer the world.

"...or could but didn't..."

What are you talking about?! None of these civs -- or for that matter, any civs -- had the capability of conquering the world! And the civs, from your list and in general, would, if they had the means (with very few exeption), take over the world.

Maybe I didn't understand you, in which case I'm sorry.

Historically, I like Germany for WW2 times, Rome and Greece for ancient times, Russia, especially for Cold War, and most European countries during the Middle Ages.

I ment in civ3 soren... and Germany in WW2 didn't wanted the world, only Western Russia... I still hate them.

Or could but tried I mean China. the stupied country that burned their technology jump over europe! (the HUGE ships and stuff...)

Originally posted by erez87
I ment in civ3 soren... and Germany in WW2 didn't wanted the world, only Western Russia... I still hate them.

Or could but tried I mean China. the stupied country that burned their technology jump over europe! (the HUGE ships and stuff...)

huge ships dont garuntee victory- if anything,t hey PREVENT it- as proven by the Greeks at Salimis, the English agaisnt the spanish armada, and the english again against the Nazi battleship Bismark

Originally posted by Jawz II
every civilization that has ever existed has tried to conquer more land at one point or another, certainly they would have conquered all land (the world) if they could!

also earlier i saw someone here saying the vikings gave up their plundring/trading campaings because of the goodness of their hearts!!

sound noble,i wish it was true, it is not!

human nature dosent work like that,trust me on this one ;)

I suggest you take a look at the minoan civilization then. it is not human nature to kill someone, it has simply been so ingraned into every survivng culture that to most it seems inseperable

minoan civilization was not less terrible. takign 14 young men and women to be eaten by a monster in a labirnth... yack!

Top Bottom