1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Which laptops run Civ4?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by mrjepson, Nov 23, 2005.

1. BirraImperial

BirraImperial Pura Vida!

HP Pavilion ZV6000, Athlon 64 3200+, 512MB RAM, ATI Radeon Xpress 200m 128MB Video RAM (dedicated).

Overall, the game runs fine, except for a 5-10 minute saved game load time. Would really recommend getting 1GB RAM PC3200 DDR

2. Xerol

Xerol Emperor

Dell Inspiron 6000 at 1280x800 works fine. But, if you've got the 512 original ram, you definitely want to upgrade at some point, to at least a gig. Between windows and Civ, I was paging constantly, and last week I upgraded to 1.5 gigs, and there was a HUGE performance boost.

3. raybouk

raybouk Chieftain

Runs ok on my system: Compaq Presario R3000, P4 3.0 Ghz w/ 512MB of RAM (128 is shared), Radeon Mobility 9000 IGP

4. asurania

asurania Chieftain

got the Dell Insperion 9300 with geforce 6800 256 megs
    runs perfectly

5. Vancouver 2010

Vancouver 2010 Getting Paid to Code

My laptop broke and I couldn't be happier because my new one plays Civ 4 perfectly.

Toshiba Satellite M70 SR2
    Intel Celeron M 1.6GHz
    ATI Radeon XPress 200M
    512MB RAM

Runs at 1280x800 with full graphics. :D

6. Rince

Rince King

Dell Inspiron 8600
    1.5 GHz
    ATI mobility radeon 9600 pro
    widescreen resolution, 1280xsomething

Rince

7. Madryoch

Madryoch Chieftain

Sony VAIO VGN-S48GP (2Ghz, 1GB RAM, Nvidia G06200 with 128MB VRAM, 1280 x 800) runs it with no problems - only issues are with huge maps and 18 civs on late stages, it gets choppy.

8. Broholm

Broholm Chieftain

HP NX8220 with 768MB RAM - no problems

9. groobz

groobz Chieftain

guys, my laptop runs the game,, but really kind of slow. toshiba 2.5ghz celeron, 448mbram, 64mb radeon graphics.

i live in japan, near electric city,, so i:m thinking of upgrading my ram to 1gig, and my 3d card to something with 128ram in it,, good idea? how much does this kind of thing cost?

10. Uniqueuponhim

Uniqueuponhim Chieftain

Any laptop with an actual video card.
    Also, if you want my advice, do NOT get a laptop with a Pentium IV unless you want a battery life of about 1 hour. Always go with Pentium M instead. I've got one in this computer, plays every game I have perfectly, and lasts about 7 hours.

11. tcjsavannah

tcjsavannah Wow, it's been a while...

HP pavilion zd7000.. runs fine.

12. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

Civ4 and an Inspiron 9300. Is there any better way to spend the holidays? We've talked about graphics. How about the sound? For a laptop, it's VERY good. Between teh two, the opening movie is awesome.

13. The Fjonis

The Fjonis Prince

I'm loving my PC! You're absolutely right, the sound is amazing for a laptop. Even comes with a subwoofer! :) 17'' + good sound --> good civving!

I believe, as has been pointed out earlier, that most laptops with 512 RAM and almost any dedicated GPU should play Civ4 with decent performance. If you don't have a dedicated GPU, you should expect choppiness and less than satisfactory performance. (My friend has a Toshiba Tecra A3 with integrated graphics, and his FPS is not very good... He can't see the battle animations etc)

14. bj0rn

bj0rn Chieftain

again.... dell inspiron 9300... check dell.com and remember to find coupons - got mine for less than $2000 (included monitor upgrade, 7200rpm HD and 2 gig ram)

15. Coreymas

Coreymas Chieftain

I have the following laptop that runs Civ 4 well (but i had to reinstall my video drivers first)

HP Pavillion zd8000
    3.2 G P4 processor HT
    2 gigs ram (even with 512 mb this machine was nice)
    256 Meg X600 ATI video (with all the rendering stuff needed for the big shooters etc)
    17 inch widescreen
    60 Gig HD ( i would get the 7200 RPM drive i didnt and am regretting that)
    DVD burner (very nice)
    Built in wired/wireless networking and dial up modem
    Built in 5 in 1 media card reader
    Harmon Cardon audio (real nice)
    Full keyboard with num pad -- great for shooters etc
    and more
    tons of dvd, audio and picture software

Except for the 2 gig ram -- paid 1700$

Hope this helps

Corey

16. Andrew_Jay

Andrew_Jay Prince

It's running fine on Dell Inspiron 6000's? Awesome!

Though I've also found out about the demo today . . . I can't wait till this downloads!

17. Warspite2

Warspite2 Prince

Glad to read this, I have been seriously wondering about the xpress 200m. Alot of new laptops and now even desktops are coming with this. I just never knew a whole lot about this graphic card but I think it probably is a step up from any of the 9000 series such as a 9600. The laptop I am considering on getting today is similar to your specs but I think I will up the ram to 1gb. I also been confused about all of these M type processors with under 2 ghz. I heard it runs faster then what is posted but not sure what the true speed of these things are.

18. The Fjonis

The Fjonis Prince

@ Warspite 2: Pentium M processors are specifically designed for laptops to minimize heat and maximize battery capacity etc. This means, as you pointed out, that their clock speeds are lower than for Pentium 4 and other processors designed for dekstops. However, they perform much better than Pentium 4's with the same clock speeds. As a rule of thumb, when gaming a pentium M performs approximately like a Penitum 4 with a clock speed of 1,5 - 1,7 times the clock speed. Example: my 1,86 GHz Pentium M performs more or less like a Pentium 4 with 3 GHz when gaming. In other situations, such as multitasking etc, the figures are different. But if you buy a laptop with Pentium with 1,73 GHz or more, I don't think the processor will become the bottleneck of the system for a good while.

Other than Pentium M's, AMD Turion 64 might be a good option to consider. Those processors are "designed for the future" with 64 bits support, but today the perfomance isn't that much better than similarily clocked Pentium M's.

Hope this helps!

19. Abegweit

Abegweit Anarchist trader

It's a little known fact, one which Intel carefully hides, but a Pentium M is actually a Pentium III!

The one and only advantage that the P4 has over other X86 cores is that it can run at higher clock speeds. Thus, as the P4 speeds approach 4 Ghz, the AMD chips have barely passed half that. As AMD points out repeatedly, this does not mean that the P4 is faster. On the contrary, the two perform about the same. If anything, AMD has a slight edge.

While high clock speeds are manageable in a desktop, they are a serious problem in portable systems. Higher speeds mean more heat and more power consumption, both of which are deadly for portable use.

Like the AMD core, clock for clock, the PIII is much faster than the P4. So when Intel decided to come out with a new line of processors for portables, they went back to the old reliable PIII, changed the name, upgraded to a 90 nm manufacturing process, added a few power-saving features... and voila! The worn out old model has magically been restored to the full glories of her youth.

20. Yushal

Yushal Chieftain

Dell Inspiron 8200
    2GHz
    1Gb
    64Mb ATI graphics
    Omega drivers

No problems that a reboot wont fix