Which new civ do you think will make the challenging to play against?

Whci civ is the most game changing?

• Poland

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Assyria

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • Brazil

Votes: 16 13.7%
  • Portugal

Votes: 15 12.8%
  • Zulu

Votes: 41 35.0%

• Total voters
I think it would be the ZULU because they're a warmonger civ and they can beat the crap out of you with their promotions

Without knowing all of them and without experience with the new mechanics, Assyria looks brutal. Once he has his uu and ub he'll just focus on researching the next big unit and use everyone else to discover the rest of the tech tree. Constant state of war and, if it's once per city, id raze each city I took if I were him.

We don't know those civs yet. I mean we have to play against them first to say something about them. but like rogu said Assyria looks more warmonger because of their UU. it will be the second Battering Ram, maybe more effective.

I can see Assyria becoming the new Iroquois. They'll have a strong expansion and science flavor, perfect storm for a terrifying AI.

Shaka could be hit and miss, he might be one of those AI that tries too hard to fight early in the game and gets rolled over by a better built civ before he can get to Civil Service.

I voted for Assyria, because I can imagine them being a horrifying warmonger who's also good at science.

Brazil are going to be the most annoying new civ imaginable with their obscene tourism... I can see myself very frustrated by their influence over me to the point of being forced into war. Remains to be seen how tough Brazil will be to fight...

Zulu will be a better Germany than Germany itself. A bit unbalanced.

The best defense I've got against warmongers is to out-tech the SOBs. Assyria... begs to differ on that front.

Shaka is my pic because I can just imagine his persistent units not giving in. Although I think i could play best with Portugal, I don't think the AI is ready to handle a navy yet.

With the way the AI bee-lines for pikes anyway, Zulu's UU will probably play out a lot like France, where there is a window in which war against them is complete hell. For France, it is when they go straight to muskets and if you are still on swords/pikes, their musketeers will be extremely difficult to overtake. Zulu's window will probably be similar, except longer since pikes come long before muskets (especially on Immortal/Deity where the AI practically starts out with pikes). Depending on just how much help they will have against gunpowder units, they could be set-up to dominate everything between Civil Service and Rifling.

In Civ IV every damn time I was anywhere near the Zulu, they'ed have a Stack of Doom waiting at my doorstep. :cry:

Wait only 2 people vote brazile it will proparly will be some of those runaway AI's with tons of great works and huge influence and its only a mattter of time before they win

If the amount of happiness the AI player receive as a bonus remains the same, Brazil's Carnival will be annoingly frequent. That may make it one of the most powerfuls civilizations to play against (right after Maria Theresa on the "eliminate it as soon as you can" list). Voted for it.

The Zulu, of course, will be hard too. But controllable (as any warmonger civ). Assyria, I feel, will be incredibly powerful on the hands of a skilled player (my favorite civ so far), but no so frightening on the AI. From the other two AI's, i don't expect that much.

Ashurbanipal will be Attila's nerdier but no less psychotic cousin.

Assyria of course Ashurbanipal will just punch you out with his beard.

It's really impossible to tell so far what some of these will look like, but:

Poland: At first I thought this UA was disgustingly overpowered, but then I remembered that the conditions for a Culture Victory are going to be different now, so it's really difficult to say. Still, a bunch of free policies can be huge, though probably not something the A.I. will be able to make the most out of. Winged Hussars sound aggravating to deal with and they can spam a lot of them with the UB, but realistically they also sound pretty situational, later-rising and avoidable.

Zulu: This could be horribly vicious, but could be underwhelming as well. I tend towards naval maps so it probably won't mean much to me anyway. Anyway, playing against Shaka in single player, I honestly picture the other A.I. players ganging up on him and asking for your involvement pretty early. He has to be aggressive to play properly at all, and aggression gets punished in this game. UU and UB look to synergize very well, so I can see why they're such a part of the discussion.

Portugal: I'm very excited for this, but like Poland it's going to be tough to judge until we understand the mechanics better. From the looks of it it more or less completely obsoletes the Dutch, who are currently one of my favorites to play as but whom the AI rarely understands how to use properly. Not too threatening, really. They're an economic civ without any real unique war-capabilities aside from the money they won't have until midway through the game anyway. Take 'em early and they should be a piece of cake.

Assyria: The only aspect about these guys that is at all letting me rest easy is knowing that they can't really plan out their tech tree with any foresight if they want to make use of their UA. COuld make them freewheeling fun to play as, but I picture them actually getting outstripped in tech pretty quickly when their stratagem meets resistance.

Brazil: I voted Brazil despite not knowing how their mechanics will play out simply because of the synergy in their UA, UU and UI, and the fact that they seem (like Portugal in some ways) very clearly designed to take advantage of the new systems. I can't say it any better than that when I read Brazil's description, I flashed back to every time I ran into Korea while trying to win a Science Victory. They are going to be trouble.

Oh and Brazil will probably have a jungle start-bias, which isn't a lot of fun for Brazil but makes taking them out that much more of a pain.

I love how no one has voted Poland :D. They may finally be in, but they still don't threaten anyone

Top Bottom