who else is looking forward to the inevitable Cold War mods?

migkillertwo

Prince
The mechanics that we have so far learned about will make it incredibly easy to model a cold war scenario.

The city states will make it easy to model the sort of diplomacy and proxy wars that went on between the Communists and the Capitalists, and the 1upt and hexagonal grid will make it easy to model any sort of combat that would have taken place in third world war.

Not me. I'd rather see some historical mods TBH like Rome, or 1066, or Colonisation.

There was another thread on this with some ideas here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=375890

Personally I think the biggest challenge is scale. If you're going to have a game where you can model conflicts in Korea and SE Asia, and the Middle East, and the Unaligned movement, and so forth, then you have to have a world map.
But in doing a world map, you either have to have vast scale involving very high system requirements and micromanagement burden, or lose the ability to actually have any kind of detailed model of Europe and these other conflict zones. The Korean war isn't much fun if the Korean peninsula is only ~8 tiles. An invasion of Cuba isn't much fun if its only 3 tiles.

And also, most of the world (Latin America, most of Africa, etc.) just ends up being very dull where not much happens.

If you do just a Europe map, focused on a world war 3 scenario, then you're really missing out on the potential of city-state rivalry and making it a great power politics mod rather than just a war mod.

You could always create a map where only those "hot spots" are shown. After all, with the supposedly region-based land coloring you can make it feel like you're map hopping.

Red Storm Rising, bring it on.

Oh I'm sure we'll get at least two to three hundred World War 2 mods before we have a Cold War mod.

Any dedicated Cold War mod would have to up the complexity of city-state relations and add in espionage, I think.

And also, most of the world (Latin America, most of Africa, etc.) just ends up being very dull where not much happens.
Huh? This is just completely untrue.

Top Bottom