Who left the music on?

Dark Ascendant

Darkness Ascending...
Who likes to play Civ2 with the music on? Does it annoy you? Soothe you? Ruin your concentration? I'm finding the music to be distracting. It's taking attention away from the game, forcing me to make sloppy mistakes. I mindlessly press spacebar without thinking of what I'm doing, and it's costing me victories. What are your thoughts?

Personally, I turned the music off about 5 seconds after installing the game. If I'm going to listen to music while playing, it's going to be something good. I have a NYC Underground Dance Party CD that I've almost burned a hole into listening to it again and again while playing Civ 2.

I've placed my stereo to the left of my computer, and my music does not go very well with civ-music, so civ-music is off:)

Occasionally it happens to be on but usually I don't listen to the music...

I tried playing without the music, but there is just too much "dead air" without it. Somehow, listening to other music doesn't make it for me.

Even after all of the hours of Civ playing, I still listen to the music. Call me silly... :suicide:

D. Ascendant -- I totally agree!!!!!
The whiny, faux Chinese/Oriental music is enough to drive any person insane. However, if it was that rythmic drum music that pops up when you are asked whether you want to load a game, start a new game, etc., I could go for that.
In short, I'm like most of the respondents -- provide my own music. Being older, I go for Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon or Wish You Were Hear -- some good old Blue Oyster Cult or Led Zepplin. Phish is good as well, and Metallica seems to fit the pre-A.D. years. Offspring, maybe, but that's about it.

In a related issue, how about the game sounds? Much has been made of my fondness for the Elephant unit's trumpeting, but really, after a while, I just mute the whole damn thing, rock out and rock on.

Game music has been off since the first game I played. The jazz coming out of my stereo fills the air when I play. Don't know why jazz and war seem to go together so well though.....

I prefer Wagner or Beethoven when I am waring, jazz when I am building, and football in the background on Sundays.

That opening percussion thing is very cool.
I generally do not have the music on, or the other sound effects, except once in a while I will turn it on for the spy, it makes my wife laugh.

The only piece of music in the game that I like is the "Funeral March". It makes me reflect; "Who weeps for the poor AI civs? NOT ME!" :mwaha:

I have the music on though the volume very low as I usually play after my wife has gone to bed, so I try not to disturb her.

ferenginar 32

Originally posted by GenShwartzCough
Game music has been off since the first game I played. The jazz coming out of my stereo fills the air when I play. Don't know why jazz and war seem to go together so well though.....

The perkiness of the antiquity music doesn't go well when your warriors are losing fast to barbarians! :D The modern era music reminds me of some "nighttime racing in the big city" game...

The music stays on, it sets the right atmosphere for playing civ2. LedZeppelin and PinkFloyd don't quite put me in the mood to play...

I actually put my own CD on when I play Civ II. My old computer stopped playing the animated bits years ago anyway. My rotten little nephew in America is holding my Civ II at the moment so I've yet to play it on my new one. I doubt I'd keep the music on for very long though as I usually keep my sound down.

Tha....that...music
For the first year of playing civ2 (playstation, REALLY bad music) my tv would not go down to zero volume unless it was muted, leaving an enourmous symbol on th screen.
A whole year...
With it playing so that you can only just hear it...
la da da da dalalalladada...
:eek: :cry:
Now I only have to catch the slightes whiff of it and im throwig myself at the tv with the reactions of a ninja with a nervous disposition.

i havnt played for a while and i forgot what the music is like. Is it like the playstation version- da, da, da, dadelada, da da da da dada da da da...............................................
Anyway the music makkes me think straigt though it does get anoying and fixed in your head- da dah da da dadada da da dadadalada.............................

I turn the music off and listen to other music, I don't find it distracting. I do keep the sounds on, they really help, when you hear the "civil disorder" sound, you instantly know you're having disorder, even before reading the text. Same with attacks, etc.

I listen to the civ music and sounds about 20% of the time -- I discovered long ago that if I left a different CD in the drive, but started Civ II that it would randomly play tracks for the CD in the drive -- the cute thing was that that CD was Fantasy General -- so I was able to listen to those tracks (and a few speeches).

Top Bottom