Who to attack

Flak509

Warlord
Hello
Id like to show the game im currently playing and pick up some advise just for fun

Its a Demigod, standart map with all random. However i can kinda figure out that its archipelago and for some reason theres alot of tundra and desert, almost all islands have a not so good area.

Sit-rep
I am Ironquis and purple, Mongols yellow, Spain blue, Sumeria gray, Arabia pink, Rome red, England orange.

I am slight behind on technoligy, Mongols have Nationalism im just on it now. Im currently at war with them, ive defeated their main army (60-80 units and 8 armies) now im advancing my 4 armies into their lands protected by mountains.

My objective is to hold the mongols down im letting them pounce on my strong defences, what my fear was if i didnt pick a fight with them now they may build too many units for me to hold them back later. The mongols seem to be the strongest nation atm.

Arabia has recently captured the aztecs and americans, their island is big but not as well build up yet. Also ahead in tech.

Spain is currently at war with Rome and England, Spain will win and capture their entire island and could end up being the strongest later on. 2nd strongest now.

Sumeria use to be the strongest but has not been able to exband outside their island and is falling behind.

I felt my best chance was to attack mongolia and hope to win the war eventho it will long and hard, i think i can advance a little and call a peace, tho every peace will mean that the mongols will regain their strenght and a new war will be just as long and hard.

Do i have another chance that to take on the stronger and wiser mongols or do you recon i can attack one of the other islands later, atm the seas are flooded in pirates. My plan is to turn to communism later and then aim for Infantry. Then aim for flight.

Comments and tips please

north of my land

Attachments

• ironq1.JPG
    ironq1.JPG
    239.9 KB · Views: 163
south part of my land

Attachments

• ironq2.JPG
    ironq2.JPG
    313.9 KB · Views: 124
east part of my land

Attachments

• ironq3.JPG
    ironq3.JPG
    228 KB · Views: 97
the south of mongolia

Attachments

• ironq4.JPG
    ironq4.JPG
    219.9 KB · Views: 111
central mongolia

Attachments

• ironq5.JPG
    ironq5.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 79
My objective is to hold the mongols down im letting them pounce on my strong defences, what my fear was if i didnt pick a fight with them now they may build too many units for me to hold them back later. The mongols seem to be the strongest nation atm.

Sounds like a good plan to me. They are the top competitor, and they share a land mass with you. Two very good reasons to fight them.

I think if I were you I would build a big bunch of transport ships and land your armies and cannon right up there next to the mongol capitol.

Pillage all the land around the capitol. That would break their trade deals ans weaken their economy while you moved the rest of your troops up from the south.

It is much easier to give a response if you load the save. Use the Upload function at the bottom of the page.

Since I have never heard of Weak cav, I guess this is either a scenario or modified game, so we need some info.

I can say I do not understand building cath at any point in any non culture victory, save maybe the capitol. That is a lot of shields and maint.

You have two ways to go on attacking civs with lots of units and the ability to replace losses fairly quickly (read above emperor levels).

1) make a town in their land and put in strong defenders and weather the storm before attacking.

2) use cav armies to bust cities and cover with a healthy army, while they recover.

Which to use is a function of choice mostly, but sometimes you cannot defend the beach head and have to use option 2.

As to whom to start with, that is often dictated by proximity. I tend to go for those I can reach easiest, unless there is a compelling reason to pick someone else.

ok here comes my savefile,

yes i have a few mods in my game, all nations have aswell as a special units also a period in time where they are weaker, i have weak cavalry (5/3/3) so does mongolia

Ive tried a ground assualt thru the passage to the mongols, it doesnt seem to be working, i need my armies updated as they have so many riflemen now its impossible to breakthru

Attachments

• ironquois mission 5.SAV
    393.2 KB · Views: 48
First off, make a turdload of cannons and go bomb those riflemen back to the middle ages. If you can make armies, do so and fill them with your strongest (not fastest) units, then take out the weakened rifles. Otherwise make a landing party and go try for one of their inner cities so as to distract the riflemen, and then try a punch through. That's what I would do, but since your agenda is holding them off, then opt for some cannons stationed on the narrowest point (yes, you will have to fight them a little) bombing them a bit each turn.

ive got 6 or 8 cannons facing the mongols for defence but im my mind cannons are horsehockye, i use howitzers and bombers later on but has never had much success with cannons, ill get riflemen soon and yes i can build armies and i have alot of money to help build the updated armies, then im gonna resume the war.
A secret mission with a strike at the capital made with landed units does appeal to me but the seas are not safe enough for a massive operation and i dont have that many strong dockside cities.

Cannons are good, in large enough numbers. And they will upgrade to artillery. Build lots of cannons. You can never have too many if you are at war.

First off, make a turdload of cannons

I don't know how many are in a turdload, exactly, but better make 2 or 3 tls to be on the safe side. :)

ill need time to get a force strong enough to push the mongols back, what makes matters worse is that they have Infantry now and im still 30 turns from infantry my self, and by then ill bet ya they have bombers. My chance as i see it is infantry armies i can get 4-5 and artillery and then make slow advance thru the hills and just hope that his bombers and masses of infantry and tanks wont destroy me.

atm they hit me with 15-30 infantry attack per turn, sometime a bigger stack also runs at me with 30-50 infantry. The battlefield looks like Friedricksburg or Verdun. My 4 Armies now containing Riflemen holds them of without casualties. Giving me time to build factories and hospitals

Should i call a peace or keep them comming, building all them Infantry has to slow down building improvements and be somekinda strain on their economy

I would suggest putting offensive units--in your mod, I suppose Weak Cavalry is your best offensive unit--in your armies. An army of your best offensive units and a couple of artillery (or cannons, at this point in the game) can take almost any AI city. Additionally, they get the blitz ability, so they can attack multiple times (yes, I know that works for rifleman/infantry as well, but get a second attack is not nearly as nice as getting a third or fourth attack.)

I would suggest putting offensive units--in your mod, I suppose Weak Cavalry is your best offensive unit--in your armies. An army of your best offensive units and a couple of artillery (or cannons, at this point in the game) can take almost any AI city. Additionally, they get the blitz ability, so they can attack multiple times (yes, I know that works for rifleman/infantry as well, but get a second attack is not nearly as nice as getting a third or fourth attack.)

That was also my initial idea but my cavs only 5/3/3, i have to use riflemen and as they now have infantry i need more artillery

But armies function differently than normal units. They get combat bonuses.
I would also make a wall of your best defenders on the mountains. Draft some too, that way the enemies will get weakened by the stronger ones so that the conscripts will get promoted. If you have oil, aim for flight first (before replaceable parts) and if you have rubber or nothing go for RP, that way you get artillery. If you have oil and rubber still go for flight, since a few bombers will dispatch most of their units, plus the cannons already on the front should weaken them considerably so that when they attack, your riflemen should get promoted and you can save up armies for RP.

Ive got Infantry and artillery now wooohoooo and my frigates helped by the artillery has sunk 7 destroyers hehe

Top Bottom