Why are some cities automatically razed?

Maharajah

Chieftain
With most cities, when I kill the last defendant the mil advisor asks me if I want to install a new governor. But with some, the city is razed by itself and I'm left standing on a pile of rubble.

It's particularly frustrating when the city is close to a resource/lux and the whole idea was to get at it. Being in midst of war, I can't leave my units around waiting for my settler to arrive. By the time I rush a settler there, somebody else has already settled.

Is there some rule as to which cities will be left standing and which automatically destroyed when you attack them?

By the way, how come sometimes you keep stuff like harbors? :confused:

EDIT: When you capture a city I mean.

AnsarKing101 said:
By the way, how come sometimes you keep stuff like harbors? :confused:

EDIT: When you capture a city I mean.

I think only buildings that generate culture are lost for the most part. Not too sure on it though. Everything else must have a set chance of being lost.

Well, its only happened to me with harbors and barracks. Never gotten anything else.

I think that aqueducts and hospitals always survive. It is certainly true that these buildings survive a city's capture if they are needed to support the population. I've never seen one lost through bombardment either and you cannot sell them so I guess that they are indestructible!

I've noticed it keeps at least 'required' buildings. So aquaduct will always be there for cities with pop > 6, hospitals when pop > 12. Sometimes others are kept as well, I'd be interested to see some info on this by someone who 'knows' instead of guesses.

And you get wonder-generated buildings of course...

I know aqueducts and hospitals survive, and I know all culture buildings do not.

I am not sure about other buildings - but I seem to recall taking a town that had a harbor and after my occupation, it did not - BUT, I am not 100% sure about that.

i usually just raze cities unless they have something good in 'em like a wonder. cs ill follow up with an army of settlers to re-settle the spots.

CoolioVonHoolio said:
ill follow up with an army of settlers to re-settle the spots.
I ca never do that, I always ignore re-settling the spots. I take and starve. :evil:

NintendoNut said:
Here's my question: If a city is auto-razed, do you get a rep hit?

not a rep hit - but an attitude hit.

Tone said:
I've never seen one lost through bombardment either and you cannot sell them so I guess that they are indestructible!
Actually, I just recently destroyed an Aqueduct bombarding a city in the Ancient Era with catapults in a game I've been continually playing.

Yes, the city was a size 12. However, Tone was arguing how aqueducts and hospitals always survive, when I know for a fact that they do not. I've destroyed hospitals in past games through bombardment as well.

Well, when you actually move a unit into a city and take it, the growth-enabling buildings (Aqueducts, Hospitals, and any other unit with the "Allows City Size X" in the editor) remain. Barracks always stay, markets usually do, although I don't know what the requirement is for that. Other than those buildings, it seems like half of the remaining ones are destroyed, unless one is required for another (i.e. if a city has a market, bank, and stock exchange, only the stock exchange will be destroyed), although if any give culture they are automatically destroyed.

Top Bottom