Why are the barbarians not taking the city?

silver spork

Chieftain
In my current game on warlord level, the egyptians have built a new city a few turns ago, and a HUGE horde of barbarians killed the unit protecting it, leaving it wide open for the taking. However, they've been going it and out of it without razing it, or even taking it from the Egyptians. It's like they are friendly with the Egyptians and are free to enter their city and leave. If anyone knows why the city has not been destroyed, I would really like to know.

You're probably a recent Civ 2 player - welcome to Civ 3

In Civ 2 when barbarians killed the last defender they captured or razed the city. That's no longer the case, now when the last defender is killed any new barbarian to enter the city either kills a citizen (population point), destroys a city improvement or steals gold from the empire's treasury and then he dies.

FYI: Also added with Civ 3 is the barbarian uprising event. When 2 civs have moved to the next age, all of the barbarian villages get a stack of angry horsemen (from 10-20 per village).

Yeah, I've been playing Civ 2 ToT for years now. I've just picked up Civ3 Gold a couple of months ago.
Thanks for the fast answer! I thought I read in the manual that the barbarians always raze the city, but I guess I was wrong, I'll just re-read it. :) Thanks!

I was wondering why all of a sudden hordes and hordes of barbarians just popped out of nowhere and started attacking me.

If you explore all the surrounding land then you lower the numbe of barbs. Also destroying barb camps gives you 25 gold each which is a real boost in the early stages.

Top Bottom