Why can't I "Search"?

brandon749

Warlord
I can't seem to use the forum's search function. I thought it was only disabled Mon-Fri. I would do a search to see if this has already been discussed, but...

I'll delete this thread as soon as I get an anser. (Can I still delete threads?)

Moved to site feedback.

Originally posted by eyrei
Moved to site feedback.

:rolleyes: If you're going to take the trouble to move my thread, why don't you take the trouble to answer the question? Is the new moderator policy "we don't give a ****?

We don't know either, for sure. You'll have to ask TF... ;)

Seems like an on-off thing... Or maybe it's 'cause of all the additional C3C server load...

brandon749, forum search is off all the time now. :(

We tried enabling it on weekends but this caused the usual "too many MySQL connections errors", so we've stopped doing it now.

We still want to re-enable search in the future... Hopefully our host Telefragged could upgrade the forum server again soon...

Originally posted by brandon749

:rolleyes: If you're going to take the trouble to move my thread, why don't you take the trouble to answer the question? Is the new moderator policy "we don't give a ****?

You tell 'em brandon749!!!

Well it is nice to finally get an answer.

What about some of the ideas of restricted searches? Are these going to become available with the new server upgrade?

Maybe somewhere should be put a notice about this or then the "search" thing should be hidden, because every second user who doesn't know it's diabled opens a new thread here...:rolleyes:

If you look closely, item #2 on the search page says:

If you are trying to search, you get this message because search has been temporarily disabled to improve forum speed.

I supposed I could make it bold to make it more obvious...
or then the "search" thing should be hidden, because every second user who doesn't know it's diabled opens a new thread here...
Then people would start making threads asking where is the search thingie. :p same thing...

Originally posted by Thunderfall

If you are trying to search, you get this message because search has been temporarily disabled to improve forum speed.

Then people would start making threads asking where is the search thingie. :p same thing...

I think most people, myself included, notice the "If you are trying to search..." message. But we still wonder why the search option "has been temporarily disabled," espescially when we've made multiple search attempts at a time (the weekend) when it's usually enabled.

But TF's right. You mod's are in a catch-22 with this search thing. No matter what you do (aside from enabling it, which might not be practical) you're going to have people asking why it's not available.

I'd rather have a 99% chance of connecting to site without search enabled then an 89% chance of connecting to site with search enabled.

Besides, it's TF's site, he can do as he pleases. It's not exactly like we're paying customers or something...I'm flattered he goes to the trouble he does to maintain a quality environment about quality games....well those and that OT forum too.

Originally posted by Thunderfall

:lol:
Just logged on and...

So you made it indeed bold.
Let's see how 'obvious' it'll be...

(Me thinks would not help either.;))

Maybe the search button should say: search is disabled currently so you could browse the forum more quickly and wouldn't get a "server busy" -message. ;)

well... searching is disabled all the time since i i tried to search anything for the first time... 3 months ago? ;)

and what about deleting my own thread? it is also disabled all the time?

Deletions of own threads/posts are also disabled, because some smart alecks, after the threads they'd started turned into long discussions, decided to delete their first posts, in effect deleting the whole thread... ;)

That's not really a surprise as you know what kind of people some of the guys here are...

aha... yeah... i forgot about some people... but i believe that religion is rubbish ;)

Ultimately though it should be possible to stop an entire thread being deleted just because the first post has been, and perhaps the real reason is that users being able to delete posts in any circumstance would be annoying for everyone else, as threads could be disrupted by posts appearing and then disappearing.

Top Bottom