Why does Scientific Method slow down your research rate?

Wilhelm II

Warlord
In my recent game I noticed that upon discovering Scientific Method your Monastaries get obsolete. Fine with that. But what gets obsolete is their 10% science bonus. Fine with that, too, it's historical. But as it is now your research rate goes down after adopting Scientific Method, what is completely ahistorical IMHO. Didn't scientific knowledge explode after the adoption of Scientific Method? So I'd suggest giving universities an additional 25% research bonus. That's less than it's sounds, because most cities have at least one if not two monastries in them. So the actual gain would be an additional 15% (respectively 5%) research bonus.

Good thinking. I like your suggestion.

Pehaps 25% is a bit too much, but overall is a great idea! :goodjob:

Scientific Method is a gateway tech to a whole bunch of stuff you can't research. THAT'S the bonus to research.

If you wanna stick with Monestaries, you might be able to discover other stuff a bit faster, but it won't be Biology or Physics. I think that's pretty realistic.

People like me don't build monasteries at all... they're too expensive, I prefer to run Organized religion for missionaries (I like the production bonus for improvements) and build other improvements (better 1 library, 1 university, 1 market and 1 granary than 1 library, 1 university, 2 monasteries). Your suggestion about improving university seems to me too much unbalancing... people and AI would (should) decide to build more university (rather than, for example, banks) ex-ante
before the discovery of scientific method in order to gain their bonus advantage immediately after it (if the cost remains the same it is unbalanced).

Moreover, think that your total scientific output is not relevant when depends on particular events if those are the discoveries of a new tech. It would be the same if after Scientific Method monasteries don't go obsolete but the cost of techs like Physics or Biology is increased of, for example, 15%: the effect on gameplay and balance would be about the same. Surely, the way it is now is mor interisting and leaves more strategic options and choices, like the number of monasteries to build, the religious civic to choose and the time to research Scientific Method.

Top Bottom