1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Why I still play CIV:BERT.

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Lightjolly, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Lightjolly

Lightjolly Chieftain

I'm new to 4X games, I've always been more of an RTS and MOBA player. But I just wanted to give these type of games a go.

I've heard many things about the CIV franchise, how 5 is supposedly the best and BE was dissapointing.

So you'd think I'd go buy the game that has the biggest fanbase and better reception from the 4X games community.

But I didn't, why? The setting enticed me, the idea of colonizing an alien planet to me just sounded so much cooler than nuking ghandi.

Do I regret it? No.
    Is CIV 5 better in everyway? Probably , I don't know since I haven't played it and probably never will since I'm kinda of tired of history/Fantasy based games ( Coming off of games like Age of Empires and Dota)
    But nevertheless, I'm having a blast playing BE , maybe it's cause i'm a flithy 4X casual.

Yes the game has some glaring flaws but I still love it and really hope Firaxis give's the game one final chance and release a second expansion and fix most of the games problems.

TLDR: I love BERT mostly cause I'm a 4X noob who loves SCI FI settings. :lol:

So why do you still play this game, when there's supposedly better options out there?

PS: I have tried another 4X games after BERT called Endless Legend but the fantasy setting just bored me.

2. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

I'm a lot like you; I'm very bored of historical Civilisation, and Beyond Earth was something fresh and new. If I didn't have too many new things going on I'd still be playing BE, but I'm a bit busy with the new attention Dawn of War II has been getting in recent months.

Not much time for gaming, me. I only have a couple I play at any one time.

3. wayneb64

wayneb64 Prince

Actually the lore and diversity of Civ V is preferable to me than the alien worlds of BERT but the depth of BERT is non-existent and you are denying yourself a much deeper game experience by not trying Civ V. There are so many things to learn, master, and play with in Civ V it will give you seemingly endless challenge and fun.

4. Tim1964x

Tim1964x Chieftain

I have the opposite view to the previous poster. I played just over 300 hours on Civ5 (with both expansions installed), and I did enjoy it, but that was about the burnout point there. However, I have played now almost 300 hours on Civ:BE/RT and I am still wanting to keep playing. I just love the 'feel' of BERT in a way I didn't for Civ5.

I think people just enjoy different aspects.

5. Sauron 3

Sauron 3 Chieftain

I like this game very much! Something old and new at the same time! I had perfectly great feelings while had starting BE for the first time! t was like a brilliant science movie from 80-90 years.

6. XplosiveLun

XplosiveLun A humble village

Definitely prefer Civ:BERT. I can tell people that support Civ:BERT is often silent. Civ:BERT has good atmosphere, gameplay, music.

7. SahintheFalcon

SahintheFalcon Chieftain

I love the more military-focused aspect of Beyond Earth. It just makes the game much more exciting: more cities, larger armies, hovering units, more epic wars, etc.

8. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

Yes, the space setting is certainly a draw, but mainly just because it's fun. :banana:

9. Aldor

Aldor King

What I like about BE is that you have a lot more freedom in how (quickly) you build your empire. In Civ 5 you can sometimes be very limited because of happiness, and if you go negative it pretty much means stopped growth etc. In BE you also get a malus for negative health, but its much more forgiving.

I don't play either Civ 5 or BE much currently, but if I start up a game, its usually BE, because of the above, and because I also prefer the setting.

I'd still be happy to see some of the Civ 5 improvements in BE. Especially AIs that never expand past three cities are a real downer :(

10. darkskies

darkskies Warlord

I do like the sci-fi aspect of BERT, it's just that I was expecting Civ5 depth in a sci-fi setting and didn't really get that. Given it's Science Fiction I'd hoped maybe that the AI would be a little more advanced like you read so often if sci-fi ;).

But I do still sometimes play, knowing what it is when I'm in mood from a change from Civ5. Of course for my 4x type urgings I also play a lot of Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion (but it's an RTS 4x) if I didn't have that I might play more BERT.

11. Idleray

Idleray Warlord

BERT is too easy compared to CiV, which is what got me bored in the end.
    In CIV it's a race against time to kill the enemy before they achieve victory conditions, while in BERT you can actually outpace the AI on Apollo by the mid-late game very easily.

Also it is disappointing that as in CiV, the BERT AI has no idea how to use troops. Consequently any military-focused play allows you to win almost by default if you're on tech parity with the AI. The units introduced in Rising Tide are of very little consequence whatsoever because since the AI has no sense of tactics, you don't have to use them anyway. It's very bland overall.

12. x2Madda

x2Madda Prince

Civ:BE is the better wargame of the two between it and CivV but CivV in general is not a good war game anyway so making a better wargame from the same engine still results in a bad wargame.

Civ:BE to me is a huge shame, a missed oppurtunity because it does so many things right but wraps them up in a casing that is so very wrong.

Also no news on a 2nd expansion pack so its looking more and more like what we have is all we are getting which is also a shame to try and resolve the complaints.

13. Strategist83

Strategist83 King

I recommend Pandora: First Contact. This is as scifi-as it gets, pretty much a sequel to Alpha Centauri. From a small time developer but still easily a better game than Beyond Earth. Watch out for the brutally difficult AI, though.

Link to video.

14. Lightjolly

Lightjolly Chieftain

Yeah I've played it, it's all right but no where near Rising Tide's level, probably better than Vanilla BE though.

15. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Replicates too many of the flaws of SMAC for me.

I do find it fun during beta testing (which I was a part of) they moved from squares to hexes because they flat-out found that hexes provided superior design.

16. Fins

Fins Warlord

Oh, good question, this one. And i sure have a good answer / reason. In fact, a few, even. Some of them are... somewhat uncommon.

1. Because just like you, i prefer Sci-fi settings so very much more than historic/ancient ones.

2. Because it's turn-based, and i love both TB and RT games; thing is, good TB games are so very few in compare to RT ones. TB + Sci-fi setting? Even fewer. It regularly gets dull to go for all that "quick quick quick!!!" of all the real-time ones - which is when this one saves that boring day.

3. It's pretty. Yep, i like 'em looks. Civ2 is mighty and all, but this one is much, much prettier.

4. It has stories, lots of stories. But it doesn't force none of them on you. As it should always be.

5. The music. It's good. Never bothersome. Not too many games can tell that about themselves. How many TB+Sci-fi games can tell that without any doubt? Ditto... Nearly none.

6. It gives me a dream... One thing to hope for, one thing far away. One thing which matters to nobody, not even to me. But exactly because this thing doesn't matter, may be it's worth going for. And as a symbol, too.

I am talking about the dream of far future with one particular nation "living happily ever after". One colony keeping to its borders, defending against everything hostile, but not going out to its neighbours. The dream of being able to provide for virtual people in a virtual society, for them to live their virtual lives in peace and abundance, with arts blooming and food aplenty, with high-tech things aiding lives of hundreds generations (or more).

But of course i know CivBE is "sold" as a 4X game - which stands for "eXplore, eXtend, eXploit, eXterminate". Well, so what if most folks play it so. I play it 3X - without "eXterminate" (with few exceptions mainly out of curiousity). May be even as 2X - with only half the expected average "eXtend" part, and half "eXploit" part.

See, it's so many games about KKND - yep, this game's name fits very well to describe most of games being played by people nowadays, - that something which _can_ be peaceful is usually special to me. Especially when it can be completely peaceful for prolonged periods of time, but at least peaceful in terms of no need to be aggressive to in-game opponents and only defend oneself from agression.

May be i grow old. Why, i _do_ grow old. Old fart Fins... Perhaps there is indeed nothing better than to have some good times while one still can, and for me, getting a virtual nation into some equivalent of Earth-time year 3000s or beyond - is something calm enough to spend some time waiting for the inevitable end of my life. It ain't "escape from reality", though, which i find in this game; rather, it's shaping my reality in quite relaxed way for fairly large portion of my time. I'll elaborate here, a bit.

May be someone does not realize that when they are playing computer games, what they do in fact is sitting on their rear, doing small finger and eye movements and varying amount of brain activity. But i do. Full well, i do. But why not? It definitely is better than just to sit on one's rear and spit into the ceilng all day long, - ain't so boring. And for quite many, myself included, it's better than to running/jumping/fitness/etc any much. Humans are lazy bums in terms of physical activity, and it's normal, i believe. So considering other more-or-less-available means to spend thousands and thousands hours of boredom, such as alcohol, watching TV, slowly getting psycho by being sucked into social netowkrs / chats / etc, or doing politics, or getting psycho and/or sick and/or dead on some sort of drugs, - i say, BERT is definitely near the top of the list, in terms how nice passtime it is. Perhaps, for many, _the_ best. Especially for older folks, i think.

And that was all expanded #6. There is one more, though. One more reason, one more answer.

7. It is the first and the only game i know which in fact mentions the greatest loss, the greatest challenge, the greatest danger we humans will soon (extremely soon, in historic terms!) face on Earth: the Great Mistake. BERT mentions dramatic sea level rise of Earth, epidemics, huge loss of population and other tragic consequences of us - very well expected in the real world in not-so-distant future. I personally am pretty sure that present-day kids will live to see quite many of those tragedies... Most of them, not for long. There is very real 6th Great Extinction of species, going on on Earth, as we speak. And no, it can't be stopped now.

Ain't our "human" crime, though. Mistake? Sure is. But do we humans, all together, living today, have real chance to prevent that "mis" part of the "mistake" word? Can we "make it right", today? Nope. We can't. Same way our fathers and grandfathers were not able to. Laws of physics are merciless and not tuned to provide for a billions-strong planetary society of sapient humans. See, it's all because with that sapiens of ours, we break and override - tremendously, - natural mechanisms of information flow. Even now, while typing this post, and perhaps even soon enough someone reading it, - are perfect examples of that. We humans now pass information to "do" things we want with totally mind-boggling, pretty much instantenious speed - in compare to nature's own way to collect and pass information (which is, through genes). Yep, the Nature's "IT" department works on entirely different timescale... Timescale we humans can't tolerate, because it's too long.

And so at some point, getting smarter, we developed better and better ways to pass information. From paintings of prehistoric cavemen - to modern multi-TB optical cables passing information through them close to the speed of Light itself. We learned ways to accumulate and structurize HUGE volumes of information, too - 1st in books, now even more with computers.

But, we humans are still human _bodies_. And will remain so for many decades ahead, in practice. Our bodily selves need to have shelter, to sleep regularly, to eat, to hydrate with clean enough water, we need enough oxygen in the athmosphere. And so, as now we tremendously outclass any other species on Earth in terms of information storage and exchange methods - this advantage will inevitably "extract" nutrients, fibers and other "useful" components from more and more living beings of Earth. And we can't stop it. There will always be among us some individuals who are eagerly willing to kill, main, pollute and chop down for their personal profit, with no account whatsoever for the future of the rest, be the humans or any other beings...

In about last 40 years or so, the Earth lost about a half of its forests. Which is nearly 3 trillions trees. Most of that, we humans took down. Earth now - right now, - is already being half-like Easter island... The one which had human population collapsing and their civilization pretty much self-destructing, their culture lost - soon after they chopped down the island's last tree. Granted, in terms of Earth, actual things are MUCH more complex than "just trees". Nitrogen cycle, Phosphorous cycle, Methane-hydrate gun process in polar regions (currently accelerating and likely extremely deadly at its peak intensity, as last ~3 millions years at least Earth was very gradually cooling down on average, and the result is that Earth accumulated lots and lots of methane in its polar deposists - land permafrost and shallow ocean shelves methane-hydrate layers. Methane is one extremely potent greenhouse gas. PDSI research of dr. Emilio Dai, soil erosion and degradation as a result of modern main-stream agriculture, increase in albedo due to polar ice caps shrinking (which in turn accelerates their melt), etc etc.

So you see, Guy McPherson has a point (and his famous link collection is certainly something worth noting), even if humans will make through as a species - which he does not believe, but i still hope for, - even if some humans will somehow manage and survive through, the number of humans and species lots dead and extinct to results of present-day mankind _existance_, - is more than enough to call the whole thing "Great Mistake"... Yep, sure is. But it's not ours. It's universe's. The mistake is having us sentients both exploiting AND depending on the natural world of not-exactly-that-much-sentient species. The mistake is our (human's) individualistic nature and significant needs, which we tend to fulfill "here and now" 1st, and talk about consequences for Gaia 2nd (if at all)...

The Great Mistake - is we, people of the Earth. BERT reminds me about it now and then. And i respect this game - OK, its creators, to be precise, - for that. Very much.

P.S. Big text huh? And i bet some typos, too. Haven't slept in over 28 hours now. Please forgive me no-spoiler huge post, too... My hand doesn't dare to put part of _this_ post into a spoiler, somehow.