[C3C] Why is unit listed in red?

Blue Max

Chieftain
I'm playing a personal mod in C3C; installed via CD. Mod has been working great, then I noticed that when I built the C-5 unit, it was listed in red in the city where it was created. It shows up in red everywhere it's created. Never had this happen with any unit and have been playing this mod for over 10 years. Reloaded earlier saved game and worked through building the unit again in different cities with same result.

It's meant to be a standard airlift unit: transports 35 with operational range of 50; unit abilities - immobile, trans only foot units; spec actions - load/unload/airdrop; air missions - rebase. I have a C-17 unit with identical abilities, but slightly different range and loads, which works perfectly, as do all other airlift units. So the unit lists in red in the game and though it was not chosen in the Editor, has the air mission of bombing enabled in the game bot not the ability to re-base (?).

I tested the unit in Debug mode and it works as designed: no red lettering and correct abilities. Any thoughts?

upload_2021-9-13_20-33-27.png

IIRC, the red font usually marks "Princess" flag-units, which are (usually immobile land-units) intended to be picked up and 'carried' by another land-unit, e.g. the Holy Relics in the Firaxis Middle Ages Conquest (bring them to Jerusalem for 10,000 VP each!), and the Treasure units in the Age of Discovery Conquest (return them to your capital for a gold-bonus + VP!).

So is it possible you've accidentally also assigned the "Princess" flag/unit-ability to your C-5 unit?

If you're playing with any Mods installed, don't forget Mods always have the chance to add unexpected bugs in weird places.

IIRC, the red font usually marks "Princess" flag-units, which are (usually immobile land-units) intended to be picked up and 'carried' by another land-unit, e.g. the Holy Relics in the Firaxis Middle Ages Conquest (bring them to Jerusalem for 10,000 VP each!), and the Treasure units in the Age of Discovery Conquest (return them to your capital for a gold-bonus + VP!).

So is it possible you've accidentally also assigned the "Princess" flag/unit-ability to your C-5 unit?

Tjs282, thanks for the insight! I figured it was something I simply hadn't come across. My experience with the game is longstanding but rather narrowly focused. I did check to see if I had toggled something by mistake, but everything checked out. Must simply be a glitch.

If you're playing with any Mods installed, don't forget Mods always have the chance to add unexpected bugs in weird places.

Buttercup, you are absolutely right. I've been very fortunate so far to have very few things glitch in my long running mod, but it appears the Law of Averages has caught up with me.

Has someone created a tool to tweak games in progress? I thought I read something about that but not sure.

Has someone created a tool to tweak games in progress? I thought I read something about that but not sure.
You could maybe try the Civ3 Multitool (C3MT) from CFC-user @Gramphos? I think this is the latest version:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/resources/c3mt-v1-12-6-installer.18809/

The (second) discussion-thread is here:

https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/c3mt-civ3multitool-second-cfc-thread.54689/

Caveat: I have never used this utility myself, so have no personal experience of / can make no promises about its functionality. However, I believe it is used by the GotM creators, so it should mostly work as advertised.

Last edited:
Top Bottom