Why should i buy Master of Orion III

meisen said:
barseer
Last night I did attempt to install and run moo2 but discovered it didn't work, wouldn't even start. I had a hard drive melt down about 2 weeks ago and had to reinstal xp. The formula I posted below for getting the game to work with xp no longer worked. Looking about on the web last night, I saw one forum where someone posted that the problem was directx imcompatibility. They said the game worked with directx up to 7, but directx 8 & 9 didn't work with it. Here is the link:

I have not had time to try it. Not sure, but I think what has to be done is copy the orion disk to the hard drive, swap those files with the ones in windows, then burn a new cd with those changes. Didn't see any of those files in the folders the game normally downloads on install, but they are on the disk. And it is system32 rather than the system file in the windows directory that one needs to copy from.

I am using lastest directx (9.c?) and play Moo2 all the time. The only issue was the sticky mouse. I was able to hold the enter key and get it unstuck for all but the tax screen.

I now use Moslo and run at 47% and do not have any mouse issues. Not running in compat mode either. I use 1.3.1 patch.

Thx for the info, everyone. Very helpful.

VMXA

I now use Moslo...

Never heard of Moslo, what is it? Is it downloadable off the web?

Looks like directx isn't the cause of the start-up failure of moo2 if you're running it. Obviously. :)

Discovered a few other glitches in my set-up, such as the windows media player packing it in and other programmes behaving strangely, and will have to reinstal xp from scratch to clean up the mess (Gawd, I hate microsoft-this about the 4th time this year). Once I get this box back in order, I'll try out those moo2 mods and see if I can get them working.

You should try MOO I which you can have for free. That gives you a taste of game. Obiously the game is not similar to any othe game. You should try it. You can not simply compare it with CIV or any other game. Micromanagement in MOO I is very small. I have never seen any game like this. Well obviously you have to move your ships, what do you expect? And you have to design your ships too, that is important part of the game. I played MOO II but I have never like it. I keep playing MOO I since 5 years ago and I still enjoy it and learn more.

Just wanted to give an answer to the question:
Yes, you should buy Master of Orion 3 for three reasons.
  1. MoO3 is a very good multiplayer game
  2. it is the most complex space strategy game ever released
  3. there are many people trying to improve it until today

The game (MoO3) is worth to get and its only ten bucks for it in some places. If you patch it up and get the plugins it would really shine but in some cases i didnt like what they did to it so i modified them. I even add special species customize to allow the race to terraform from between lvl 1 to 6, boost max population by 75% capacity. Those mods cost some points but it kinda cheating tho and i dont like cheating i rather earn them instead.

Anyway the plugins i have is...
1)Mega mod V5.5.1
2)Nebula mod

One thing about Mega mod is the task force size, so i modify it switched back to normal (IE: armada would be 18 ships). I also reduced all species research abilities so it wont jump so far in game so fast with techs.

Cynoids prob the most powerful species in the game due to heavy builders if you give up Diplomacy for 20pts and reduce RaceBioharvesting (home planet) you could get Maufacturing at the highest level and pick Natural Builder at the custom screen.

So my favorite specie is the Ithkul, gotta love em!

I am a huge fan of MOO II (my favourite TBS ever), but MOO III is the biggest dissapointment in my gaming life. I wanted to like it soooo bad. I read and reread the forums, I downloaded patches but to no avail. The game just plain sucks...

There are some good ideas in the game but the whole thing is a mess....

MOO3 is has a really high learning curve, so If you're into complex micromanagement, then fine, but I think this game was never fun for me.

I just noticed my post above was from September. I still have not had time to rebuild my computer so i can use MOO2 again.

Top Bottom