Why to bribe?

Paxel

Chieftain
Hello,
I usually play at immortal level but I never used bribing, because ... I don't know what I can gain doing it. Someone may explain?

For example, ideal case:

I can bribe Montezuma to attack Mansa Musa, the cost is low.
What do I gain?

Maybe ... I "gain" that Montezuma won't attack me for some time?
Or maybe I slow down Mansa Musa research?

Well, you partly just answered your own question. Bribing psychos into war is a good way to keep those nuisances off your back, especially on higher levels. Or you bribe them into your wars to help out.

As for the second case, yes, it can help nerf research for some AIs, but just make sure you know what your doing. Is Monty strong enough to take on Mansa and do some damage or will Mansa just get bigger. Do you want to nerf Mansa's research? Depending on your game or stage, Mansa fast teching is a boon for you.

However, bribing multiple AIs into various wars can slow the overall tech pace down which is often good for conquest/dom focused games.

It's also good for culture games in which you are generally small and want few troops. Keeping AIs at war keeps their focus off you.

In Diplo games, you can strategically bribe certain AIs into wars against your religious or UN rivals to a) lower their attitudes b) boost your war diplo points.

Bribing AIs is a fairly common tactic of higher level play.

You slow down multiple AIs research, and likeliness to attack you. The best way to bribe is to start world wars, and slow down almost every single AIs research while not getting into the war yourself.

Also if you plan to war the last thing you want is to get dogpiled. So before you start your war, start another somewhere else, then your target is unlikely to find help ("we have enough on our hands") from their best friends.

Top Bottom