will my laptop run Caveman2Cosmos

Sartre311

Chieftain
Hey guys I know I'm right at the cusp looking at the thread on system requirements for a caveman 2 cosmos but I wanted to get some opinions before I downloaded it and gave it a shot and assuming even if I download it and it bogs down my system I could disable it right? Anyways, here are the specs of my laptop do you guys think I could squeak by depending on the settings?

Mackintosh running windows through Boot Camp
Windows vista 32 bit
Intel 2.33ghz core 2 duo
ATI Radeon x1600
Vram 256mb
3gb ram 667mhz ddr2 sdram

Passmark rating overall computer 371.4
CPUmark 603
2-D graphics Mark 182.4
3-D graphics mark 164.3
Memory Mark 280.4
Disk Mark 276.4

It looks like the system requirements minimum passmark score was suggested to have 600. I guess my question is would it be conceivable in anyway to run C2C on any specs whatsoever or any comparable mod pack like rise and fall or something like that?

Thanks in advance

I have not tried C2C. However, you don't need to worry about disabling C2C if it gives you problems. It is a mod. If it doesn't work for you, just quit the game and restart without the mod. You will be fine. The mod does not alter anything on your disc. It only affects the game in memory.

All that said, I run CIV on a Mac with 8 GB of memory. When I want to run a mod that requires a dll, I run Windows 7 via Parallels. My cpu is also a core duo, at 2.4 ghz, so quite similar. My video card is Nvidia, rather than ATI. When I run CIV in the Windows environment, I allocate 4 GB of the memory to it. That is the most that CIV can use. In long games on large maps with many AIs, it still slows down in the late game. C2C has a lot of content. This leads me to believe that it will run okay in the early game but bog down and possibly be unplayable in the late game. However, it won't hurt to try it, since it is a mod, not an alteration of your main game files.

It sounds like at the very least I would want to play on a standard map or smaller with fewer AI's so as to be more promising as the game moves forward.

As an aficionado of C2C, the given statement for standard map size for your lappy would probably be best. My desk top has some decent power to it, but on a huge map or larger, TT can be rather long ( I've actually had time to cook a full blown dinner for my boys and I in between turns).

As a side note, you may want to try Rocks to Rockets, which is a stripped down version of C2C.

Thanks, I'll have to check out rocks to Rockets haven't heard of it. From what I've gathered from the last couple replies is that it seems like it might be worth giving it a shot and it might run decently early on but as the game advances I will probably encounter stagnation/crashes given my specs.

Top Bottom