[GS] Game keeps crashing mid to late game- "3 files fail to validate?" - help i am at my wits end

Queso81

Chieftain
Hello folks. All of my games keep crashing mid to late game. I cannot complete a single game. Apparently there are "three files that failed to validate" when i verify integrity of the files/game on steam. alas, i continue to have the same issue despite "fixing" it. I have tried everything... uninstall/reinstall the game, delete all civ files in my hard drive and the reinstalling, reinstall windows, fiddle with processor, look for answers in forums (no clear answer), and reach out to 2k. this is very annoying, and i do not know what else to do. is anyone here able to provide clear guidance on how to overcome this bug?

civ 6, gathering storm, latest sep patch. yes, this has happened before the patch. yes, this happens with both mods and no mods. thank you.

fyi I have been reviewing on this forum off and on since 2001/civ 3 vanilla, and this is my first post in 18 years I think! civfanatics, firaxis, 2k, please help! the only reason i bought this laptop is to play civ, and it is failing me miserably, like the Civ 6 AI. see computer specs below:

MSI; intel 6 gen core i7-6700HQ processor; NVIDIA's GTX 1060 graphics card; 6GB GDDR5 video memory; 16 GB DDR4 system memory

thanks again gang

Last edited:
A belated welcome to CivFanatics!

The "three files that failed to validate" issue doesn't point to a problem. It always occurs after each time you start the game. Your system specs are more than adequate. Since this problem happens only in mid to late game, I wonder if you're running into overheating (Civ 6 tends to run hot). Is your laptop well-ventilated when you play (e.g., all the vents unblocked)? Do you have a utility that can measure the internal temperature? Please post again if this advice doesn't help.

Thanks Petek. It does not seem to be a heating problem because the game crashes on the same turn after reloading, even after I start the game fresh with an unheated laptop. I attempted the whole "declare war thing" too but to no avail. what could it be? how can we fix this. firaxis, are you listening? sid, you too?

I presume this crash does not generate prompt asking if you want a crash report to be forwarded to Firaxis. Do you crash to desktop, or does Civ VI just freeze (requiring a hard reset). Can you post a save file (an autosave from a turn or two before the crash)? Also, can you post your DxDiag file? Finally, you might also post a zip file containing your log files.

Thanks Browd. The crash DOES generate a prompt asking for a report forwarded to firaxis, which I always agree to (I must have sent them a dozen or so already). Also, game crashes to desktop.

Please see copy of autosave below. Please see zip file below. Sorry I am not computer savvy. thanks again for your help.

upload_2019-9-15_9-53-16.png

Attachments

• GraphicsOptions.zip
    2 KB · Views: 135
  • TEDDY ROOSEVELT 1.zip
    2.3 MB · Views: 222
Thanks. The save file you attached requires three mods that I don't have (RED Modpack, Steel and Thunder Unit Expansion, and Strategic Forts).

According to the Steam Workshop, both RED Modpack and Strategic Forts were last updated in Feb. 2019, which is thee patches ago, and Steel & Thunder was last updated on Sept. 2, which pre-dates the most recent patch.

It is possible that the outdated mods have nothing to do with your problem, but to eliminate the potential that your crashes are triggered by mod conflicts, can you post a pre-crash save file from an unmodded game?

Also, to generate a DxDiag file and locate your log files for zipping, see this post: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/how-to-find-your-directx-and-log-info-in-civ6.642179/.

Thank you Browd… much appreciated really! Please see DxDiag below. Also, I do not have an unmodded game since I erased everything in my futile attempts to fix this.

I will attempt to play a game without those mods, and hopefully we are able to identify the squeaky wheel.

From what I have seen in othe forums/discussions, this seems to be a common problem with no know solution? I have read of several other players disappointed with random mid-to-late game crashes with no real clear solution. Many of those posts are several months or years old, so I am hoping it has been identified. Gracias de nuevo caballero.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    100.3 KB · Views: 160
To eliminate another possibility, please fire up a new game, select Options at the main menu, then the Graphics tab, and confirm that GPU Selection (top right panel) is set to NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060, rather than the Intel HD Graphics 530 option.

Thank you Browd. The graphic card was set properly. I am playing new game and hope to get through it completely. Upon further research, looks like Strategic Forts mod was driving games to crash. I hope it is as simple as that. I remember it crashing with no mods, but after I subscribed to the mod, just disable it. moreover, my civ v vox populi games also crash similarly, but that is for another post. I will get back to you with an update. thank you for your time again. cheers. v/r Richard.

Thanks heaps for this guys. I'd played two multiplayer games with my partner where we both crashed at turns 81 and 76 on online speed around the renaissance era. Even loading autosaves before the crash didn't help. After reading this we disabled the strategic forts mod and have now gotten past what seemed to be the crash point.

Top Bottom