Will our history be “lost?”

I was thinking almost the opposite problem: that we will have so much junk information out there it will be too much to parse.

At the moment we definitely have this problem, but I think in the very long term what survives will be what people already think a lot about and consciously choose to preserve (plus luck).

Sure, we may have an archive of all Tweets ever made (do we? I'm just assuming someone out there must be obsessive enough) but no one is going to go through every single tweet, if they do look in there at all it's to find the handful that had a great impression on them at some point in the past. More likely, relatively very very few people are ever going to access that archive and the tweets that survived will be ones that became memes, or consciously archived by governments or news media for historical significance, or got quoted in a book somewhere that for some reason has long-lasting appeal.

If you can graph number of surviving historical records/creative works and time elapsed since their creation it might look a bit like this. Our output in the 21st century is massive compared to in the past, but I don't know if 2000 years from now we'd have that much many more records/works surviving from the 21st century than from the 16th (which includes, like, Shakespeare)

1705111475952.png

So people from the 41st century trying to understand what happened in the 21st might not have that many records to parse through in the first place. Of course, what they would understand from those few records might not bear much resemblance to what actually happened.

We learn more about our past every week. There are more papers with a more concrete manner of drilling down on historical events and trends than ever before... I think this whole thread smells of nihilism and "old-man" think

Considering the sheer stupidity of the current age, maybe having history of the current age lost isn't such a bad thing.
One day they will look back upon us as the Stupid Ages.......

Considering the sheer stupidity of the current age, maybe having history of the current age lost isn't such a bad thing.
One day they will look back upon us as the Stupid Ages.......
I get the sentiment, but honestly this is jsut because we see so much more due to social media, internet, tv, and radio. Check out a history podcast like "We're not so Different"... and you will find similar foolishness.

Honestly, people are literally better, faster, stronger, and smarter than ever and if we can just settle down things should be good.

...but I get this is not going to be the popular take here lol.

Honestly, people are literally better, faster, stronger, and smarter than ever and if we can just settle down things should be good.
We'd like to think so, and may be true for the top performers, but this is not the case for the general population:
  • our sedentary lifestyle makes us much weaker than our ancestors, even with better health and diet
  • our reaction speeds are >25% slower than a hundred years ago
  • there's a strong correlation between brain size and intelligence; our brains are 10% smaller than 3000 years ago

I’d suspect any information we’ve written down would be lost to history.

I was reading about some Doge of Genoa that I picked at random from a list and I thought that as much or as little as we know about ourselves today, how much do you think will survive to the future?

Think about your minor representatives, state governors, backbench MPs. Considered of importance today and we can all talk about Marjorie Taylor-Greene or Gavin Newsom, and these are “hot-button” personalities. But what about 500 years from now?

Will we have the documentation to go back and look at history with the proper context, or is a lot of this going to fall by the wayside?

Just a thought as I was drinking my coffee!

Almost every book on "current issues" is unsellable after a couple of years. Most of those things are noise. Distractions.
With the dematerialization of all these discussions, less will survive into the remote future by way of lost books gatherind dust in some archive. And nothing of importance will have been lost?
I know the name of one magistrate of the local roman city colapsed into ruin. Only one name survived, carved in a funerary stone. Who cares about it? His personal and politcal dramas, lost to history, are as much dust as he became (buried in acidic soil...). Perhaps they would be as interesting as any fictional historical novel set in the time. But people through these 2000 years had a reason to care to present it. And I bet the history of his life was lost right in the next generation.

I didn’t think too much about data storage being a problem, assuming that over time we just copy and copy the stuff over to newer media as we do. It would be interesting to see how legacy systems emerge as time goes on if file formats are changing.

I was thinking almost the opposite problem: that we will have so much junk information out there it will be too much to parse.

No, the storage and updating of it is a big, big problem. A big cost, and a huge requirement on technical capability. I do not hold a teleological view of history, and doubt it can be maintained.

I remember an episode of Highlander, in which Methos and Duncan are browsing through an antique shop. Methos picks up a ceramic whatsit, and says something to the effect of how things considered rare and valuable now were once the equivalent of mass-produced stuff that everyone had, so they were really cheap and not valuable at all (Methos is the oldest Immortal, who's lived around 5000 years).

I sincerely hope that the future doesn't think it's the mass-produced crap that becomes rare and valuable.

The valuable old stuff was invariably done by very skilled artisans. It was not a "mass market product". Or it was mass market in the sense that every important person could eventually own one or two items of the type, but only some very few elite persons had exquisite pieces. In the antiques business you find huge differences in regard for an exquisite old painting or carving, and for a crude one. Most egyptian tombs had beetles and other stauettes, there are millions of the stuff.
But most are crude, the valuable ones are carved in semi-precious stones or with great skill. Old chinese porcelain can be fooud easily and cheap, it was exported in the hundreds of millions back in the day and probably millions of pieces remain intact. Only really well made and decorated (or very large) pieces of specific periods (plus all archaic) are rare and expensive. And I have doubts about the ""rare". Same for thousands of years old metal objects: a celtic bronze fibula is easy to actually find in the field, a gold one intrincately decorated is a treasure for the wealthiest museums, rarely seen for sale.

The rare, if it is not beautiful or otherwise appealing, is almost always worthless in the antiques trade. I have surviving pieces apparently (location) from a pre-historic city whose inhabitants probably traded all the way from the Mediterranean to the Baltic and settled Britain. Not many large settlements found from the era, it started a new pottery type for the archeologic record. But the name of the city and its narrative history is lost. No one has interest in its remains, the excavated ruins have been abandoned to the elements and some eventual builder in need of stone to crush.

And older stuff is even more disregarded. Material remains can last a long time, if the materials are durable. The civilizations that came before these late pre-historic and historic ones using metal and stone surely also produced lots of stuff and almost all now is lost, it was perishable, organic materials. Stone tools remain, stretching back tens of thousands of years, and those one stumbles upon easily and you can't even give them away to a local museum unless they are appealing to exhibit.

The materials of the digital age are and are not perishable. We are much like that pre-historic age in this duality for the archeologic record. A thousand years from now the world will be littered with remains of smartphones and if there is an antiques trade the remains will be cheap, like mass produced coins or fibulas of old are now cheap. But no one will be reading the bits and bytes they once held, lost to entropy, like the organic materials of old are lost to us. If a pristine smartphose somehow is found well-preserved, the plastics not decomposed and the metals not corroded, it will be expensive! Perhaps held in private collections throughout the collapse and rebuild of human civilizations, like some roman era works held in church treasuries. But even from such a piece I bet no one will be reading useable bits.

For the sake of preervation, we cannot even have insight into the next 50 years. A Canticle for Leobowitz is already outdated as a sci-fi speculation, our civilization is getting rid of the easy-to-copy and maintain knowlege, hand-written documents. Who then will be able to maintain, even access for copy, the knowlege of present humanity if electricity fails?
Writing itself is a disappearing skill? Then perhaps the book is prophetic, we're not just arrived at the nuclear holocaust stage. But monks preserving only some scraps of knowlege because everyone ele died or lost the skill to do it a speculative scenario one cannot entirely dismiss, the way things are.

We learn more about our past every week. There are more papers with a more concrete manner of drilling down on historical events and trends than ever before... I think this whole thread smells of nihilism and "old-man" think

Ironically, we also lose scholarly knowlege. I have seen records of colonial-era exploration of Africa destroyed because "they took too much room". Room had to be made for students with laptops. For the sake of being a modern libray. Some were digitalized (and who will curate them?), some were not, assuming there would be a copy in the national library. As they were reports from meetings I doubt that very much.

I have little faith that the huge output of research on history will be maintained. Can be maintained. The profession is at its lowest "social valuation" in decades. I could point out a number of fields that have been entirely abandoned as other fads took over. But I do not want to get into details. Just count me an old man I guess.

Last edited:
I was reading about some Doge of Genoa that I picked at random from a list and I thought that as much or as little as we know about ourselves today, how much do you think will survive to the future?

Think about your minor representatives, state governors, backbench MPs. Considered of importance today and we can all talk about Marjorie Taylor-Greene or Gavin Newsom, and these are “hot-button” personalities. But what about 500 years from now?

Will we have the documentation to go back and look at history with the proper context, or is a lot of this going to fall by the wayside?

Just a thought as I was drinking my coffee!
I feel like this relies on the idea that history is recorded accurately in the first place without biases or agendas.

The valuable old stuff was invariably done by very skilled artisans. It was not a "mass market product". Or it was mass market in the sense that every important person could eventually own one or two items of the type, but only some very few elite persons had exquisite pieces. In the antiques business you find huge differences in regard for an exquisite old painting or carving, and for a crude one. Most egyptian tombs had beetles and other stauettes, there are millions of the stuff.

"Valuable" is subjective. Take my grandmother's paintings, for example. I happen to find them valuable because of a combination of reasons. Would a museum find them valuable? I have no idea. A local one would find them more valuable than a larger, farther-away one, because the museums around here prefer art pertaining to local(ish) places, pioneer life, local natural history, etc. Most of her paintings are of places in Alberta or British Columbia, some of which I've been to, some of which my father has been to.

Btw, you realize that Highlander is a 1990s science fiction/historical adventure series, right? It's not a documentary.

The rare, if it is not beautiful or otherwise appealing, is almost always worthless in the antiques trade. I have surviving pieces apparently (location) from a pre-historic city whose inhabitants probably traded all the way from the Mediterranean to the Baltic and settled Britain. Not many large settlements found from the era, it started a new pottery type for the archeologic record. But the name of the city and its narrative history is lost. No one has interest in its remains, the excavated ruins have been abandoned to the elements and some eventual builder in need of stone to crush.

And older stuff is even more disregarded. Material remains can last a long time, if the materials are durable. The civilizations that came before these late pre-historic and historic ones using metal and stone surely also produced lots of stuff and almost all now is lost, it was perishable, organic materials. Stone tools remain, stretching back tens of thousands of years, and those one stumbles upon easily and you can't even give them away to a local museum unless they are appealing to exhibit.

The materials of the digital age are and are not perishable. We are much like that pre-historic age in this duality for the archeologic record. A thousand years from now the world will be littered with remains of smartphones and if there is an antiques trade the remains will be cheap, like mass produced coins or fibulas of old are now cheap. But no one will be reading the bits and bytes they once held, lost to entropy, like the organic materials of old are lost to us. If a pristine smartphose somehow is found well-preserved, the plastics not decomposed and the metals not corroded, it will be expensive! Perhaps held in private collections throughout the collapse and rebuild of human civilizations, like some roman era works held in church treasuries. But even from such a piece I bet no one will be reading useable bits.

For the sake of preervation, we cannot even have insight into the next 50 years. A Canticle for Leobowitz is already outdated as a sci-fi speculation, our civilization is getting rid of the easy-to-copy and maintain knowlege, hand-written documents. Who then will be able to maintain, even access for copy, the knowlege of present humanity if electricity fails?
Writing itself is a disappearing skill? Then perhaps the book is prophetic, we're not just arrived at the nuclear holocaust stage. But monks preserving only some scraps of knowlege because everyone ele died or lost the skill to do it a speculative scenario one cannot entirely dismiss, the way things are.

Ironically, we also lose scholarly knowlege. I have seen records of colonial-era exploration of Africa destroyed because "they took too much room". Room had to be made for students with laptops. For the sake of being a modern libray. Some were digitalized (and who will curate them?), some were not, assuming there would be a copy in the national library. As they were reports from meetings I doubt that very much.

I have little faith that the huge output of research on history will be maintained. Can be maintained. The profession is at its lowest "social valuation" in decades. I could point out a number of fields that have been entirely abandoned as other fads took over. But I do not want to get into details. Just count me an old man I guess.
I don't even own a smart phone now, so I have no idea at all which ones might be worth anything. It looks like I'm going to have to go digital, though. The last time I was at the mall, I noticed that the last two pay phones have been removed.

History repeats and rhymes but will our society continue to progress? Heck yeah. And we’ll not once forget where we came from

I just finished listening to a multi-hour podcast on the European Dark Ages, which touches on this subject. Institutional knowledge ebbed significantly from Roman times, and what knowledge was preserved was largely due to the efforts and interests of monks, as well as, farther east, Byzantine magistrates and, a bit later on, Islamic scholars. But what those monks/magistrates/scholars chose to copy was based on their editorial decisions. Do we copy this Greek play or that one? That one looks more interesting, or this one's heretical... and a few centuries later you can't copy the other one even if someone at that time wanted to, because it has degraded too much to be legible, or been destroyed in a flood or a fire.

Over time, inevitably, the completeness of the historical record will gradually degrade.

We do have the advantage that we have seen this happen before, and there are institutions designed to reducing the occurrences of this. Think of all the microfilm archives of newspapers. Or the Library of Congress. But mistakes are made; the U.S. Army lost 80% of its official personnel files from WWII due to a fire in the mid-1970s. It won't be the last such occurrence.

Digital records are a double-edged sword. The ease of copying is a great advantage. The ancient records we have were largely either literally carved in stone, and thus survived in their original form (if the stone didn't erode too much), or were painstakingly copied by hand. Nowadays, you can just connect a new hard drive, press a button, wait a while, and a whole new copy is born. One advantage is that you can much more easily avoid the "library of Alexandria burns down in a fire" scenario, because you can make backup copies that are widely distributed. Ukraine already put this into practice to some extent when Russia launched their full-scale invasion, making backups of all their digitized archives that were hosted in third countries, so should the original records be destroyed, the knowledge would not be lost.

But of course the digital mediums are generally not as long-lasting as quality physical mediums (and the digital mediums that are long-lasting are at this point still theoretically long lasting, rather than proven in the field), and the sense of "it's online, it's always there" can lead to carelessness. When I see news articles that embed Twitter posts, literally embedding Twitter's widget, without replicating the content, I think, "that article's not going to have the full context in 5/10/20 years." Then there's the "can the format be read?" question. If I remember correctly, the BBC ran into this problem with a digital archive they made in the '80s (on the Acorn? Apricot? Archimedes?); by the late 2010s, it was quite difficult to find working machines of that type to read those archives.

On the other hand, are we worse off now than we were in, say, the early 1700s, when surely many publications were ephemeral? Do we have every newspaper or magazine from May, 1702? Almost certainly not. At some point there became a culture of trying to preserve more of the historical record - the Library of Congress keeping a copy of every book published in the U.S., newspapers in the 1800s making a point of keeping their complete archives. But new mediums emerged, without those traditions - silent films, for example. Radio broadcasts. We have less context for 1910s silent film and 1930s radio today than someone who lived through that period (and paid significant attention to them) did.

Top Bottom