Will Smith acts like a crazy person and slaps the Oscars presenter

Kyriakos

Creator

Hm... Ok, Chris Rock made a joke about Smith's wife's hair (sure, hairloss sucks, but it is a known source of "jokes"), and it wasn't that bad either (he called her "G.I.Jane, due to the haircut). But Smith instantly got up and smacked him. Then, seconds later, he cursed at him out loud.

Some jokes can be insulting, but this wasn't the way to handle this. I think he won an oscar later on - but probably people will mostly link it to his moment of crazyness on-stage.

Anyway, I thought of just posting this at the "weird news", but maybe a lighthearted thread is a good idea?

Proof (you don't say :) ) that even the rich and famous can lose it.

Last edited:
Over reaction sure but still not to sympathetic to Chris Rock.

Will Smith has aged well though.

I heard on a video that Rock is 57 and Smith is 53. Slapping someone is really a bad look, let alone when you are this old (and famous).
Slapping is belittling, along with everything else wrong with it - it's not legitimate as fighting, which is why in previous centuries you asked for a duel by (mock or real) slapping your enemy.

Did anyone else try to read their thoughts? Here’s what I picked up:

Will Smith: I’m going to teach him a lesson.

Chris Rock: What’s Will getting up on stage for?

Jada Smith: Ack, ack, ack ACK!

Looks like he actually laughed first..so who knows what's going on there.
I vaguely remember some not so nice details about those 2.

It's a freak show, and it will get more attention now due to the slap. For example, I knew nothing about (apparently) his wife talking to him in some tv program about how she cheated on him (rather bizarre to do this on tv), but now heard that since there are so many videos.
I only was aware of the meme with his son :)

I like both of them and I'm disappointed with Smith, Rock said he didn't know about her medical issue and Smith should have realized that before responding with such a cheap shot.

Slapping is belittling
Did you know what else is belittling? Insulting someone's looks :)

Nice thread title by the way. Really sets the tone for a considerate and open-minded debate.

I like both of them and I'm disappointed with Smith, Rock said he didn't know about her medical issue and Smith should have realized that before responding with such a cheap shot.
Maybe Rock should have considered before starting with such a cheap shot?

I mean, maybe it was a bit. Or maybe Rock didn't know. Or perhaps there was some other magical reasoning which makes all of this redundant. Regardless, this is a interesting read of it all. I think it applies here, too.

Did you know what else is belittling? Insulting someone's looks :)

Nice thread title by the way. Really sets the tone for a considerate and open-minded debate.

Sure, hairloss jokes can be insulting. They aren't anything new. And even if you get enraged, you should know better than slap someone like that - it is cowardly since the other person literally leaned forward as Smith approached, expecting nothing or some funny stunt.
The whole point of having comedians in such ceremonies (like the Oscars) is to at least give the impression that the famous people can take something said against them; part of the parcel of thriving as a celebrity.

Sure, hairloss jokes can be insulting. They aren't anything new. And even if you get enraged, you should know better than slap someone like that - it is cowardly since the other person literally leaned forward as Smith approached, expecting nothing or some funny stunt.
The whole point of having comedians in such ceremonies (like the Oscars) is to at least give the impression that the famous people can take something said against them; part of the parcel of thriving as a celebrity.
Please provide an argument as to why, assuming for a second slapping someone is cowardice, why an insult is not similarly cowardly?

Rock is a famous person. It's not a comedian bagging on rich people, it's a rich person bashing another rich person for something that's no fault of their own.

You can say he didn't know, I say it's his job to know. To be a comedian is to know your audience. Relate to it. Establish a rapport.

From the way it looks, Smith established more of a rapport than Rock did over it all ;)

Please provide an argument as to why, assuming for a second slapping someone is cowardice, why an insult is not similarly cowardly?

Rock is a famous person. It's not a comedian bagging on rich people, it's a rich person bashing another rich person for something that's no fault of their own.

You can say he didn't know, I say it's his job to know. To be a comedian is to know your audience. Relate to it. Establish a rapport.

Slapping isn't something you do to someone you regard as of your own level. And to do it when the other one doesn't expect it (and can't react, being more professional than you) is cowardice.

As for another angle, I like this comment:

upload_2022-3-29_2-2-29.png

You are acting as if they are teens doing dumb stuff, they are both over 50 years old.

From the way it looks, Smith established more of a rapport than Rock did over it all ;)

I think the fitting term is entanglement.

Slapping isn't something you do to someone you regard as of your own level.
You sure you're not just projecting here? ;)

The Tweet YouTube comment you gave is funny. If it was the Rock, he probably wouldn't rely on a rubbish attempt at humour, so it wouldn't have been a problem in the first place.

But it's revealing. You identify with a scenario where Smith is up against someone stronger than himself, and the assumption is that Smith is a coward. This tracks, given your value judgement of Smith. But it's rooted in fantasy. You have no idea in that scenario how Smith would act. It's just wishful thinking, with a dash of hope that if he tried (to hit Johnson in this make-believe scenario) that Johnson would put him in his place. Presumably with some force :)

I dunno what passes for professionalism in your job, by the by, but insulting someone for their hair probably isn't it.

You sure you're not just projecting here? ;)

The Tweet you gave is funny. If it was the Rock, he probably wouldn't rely on a rubbish attempt at humour, so it wouldn't have been a problem in the first place.

But it's revealing. You identify with a scenario where Smith is up against someone stronger than himself, and the assumption is that Smith is a coward. This tracks, given your value judgement of Smith. But it's rooted in fantasy. You have no idea in that scenario how Smith would act. It's just wishful thinking, with a dash of hope that if he tried (to hit Johnson in this make-believe scenario) that Johnson would put him in his place. Presumably with some force :)

I dunno what passes for professionalism in your job, by the by, but insulting someone for their hair probably isn't it.

If it was the Rock, he would have ended Smith :eek:

Not sure what you mean with the "projecting" part, nor if I even want to know tbh (edit: hm, now read your elaboration; I will give you the benefit of the doubt and think you spoke of projection so as to make a self-referential joke by the rather extreme one which followed. It'd have been a good joke, btw )
Comedians make jokes, if they are to be slapped by a crazy Smith yelling as if he was in some dungeon by himself, it won't help anyone.

I like this CNN video, they point out how Smith's act forced the focus to be on him and pretty much no one paid any notice to the winner of the documentary award (immediately announced after the yelling).

Last edited:
I feel bad for Smith. He knows how grossly out of line he was, and he knew it the second he could think straight. Seems like they were all unpleasantly human in plain sight, for a moment.

Thread title is spot on

I feel bad for Smith. He knows how grossly out of line he was, and he knew it the second he could think straight. Seems like they were all unpleasantly human in plain sight, for a moment.

Humans doing ill-advised things! Details at ten.

Oh wait, I made a meme about this:

Top Bottom