Will there be Cheap Shots tactics in Civ6?

When the tech tree was unveiled, one of my very first observations was, "oh, they are encouraging people to beeline strategic advanced techs at the cost of slowing other more efficient, early development". This is great game design, giving players lots of flexibility to craft a strategy, especially since advancing eras causes significant cost increases. So you can pursue wildly different strategies with multiple beeline options, or holding back to develop cheaply, but with basic tech.

This does pose a balance challenge, of course, but it seems to be a surmountable one. PvP games are going to be very, very interesting.

There seem to be a lot of concerns in this thread that to me, are simply game mechanics. If the game lets you do it, you can do it. I'm not aware of some uncoded rules that apply.

Ultimately, if you can snipe the guy from the other side of the map with a handgun, do it. There's obviously a trade off where the game rules are insufficently robust as to provide a challenge, but quite frankly, stomping on some archers with a tank is to me, the entire point of Civ. Just because the AI can't develop game mechanic strategies, doesn't mean that they aren't there and nor does it mean they're somehow in a grey area of validity.

It's a strategy game, not a simulator.

It is true that such stuff belong in a strategy game but many people would not prefer stuff being to obvious and dominate and too obvious stuff makes for a bad strategy game.

Now the naval beeline do have one weakness other then the cost of the techs and that is you won't get the +100% production cards towards renaissance and industrial era ships for a long time.

Top Bottom