Windows 8.1 and Civ5

Emeshow88

Chieftain
Hi,

I am having a problem with Civ 5 doesn't want to launch on any option with Windows 8.1. I have a brand new laptop built my CyberPower PC with the new Windows 8.1. I know that when Windows 8 launched originally on my desktop Civ5 had issues with that. I didn't want to launch. I don't want to have to go out and buy Windows 7 again for my laptop. This shouldn't be. There needs to be a team already developing a method to the upgrades that Windows comes out with and Vice Versa. It is very frustrating for users to do this. I hope the problem gets fixed soon. As of right now, Civ 5 is the only game on steam that isn't working with Windows 8.1.

I have attached my dxdiag.

Same as me, new 8.1 Lenovo game-Laptop, Civ5 just crashes under upload, no mods included

The game works just fine on my Win 8 laptop. Not sure why 8.1 has issues though. Could you run steam and the exe as a win 7 application instead of buying and loading win 7?

The game works just fine on my Win 8 laptop. Not sure why 8.1 has issues though. Could you run steam and the exe as a win 7 application instead of buying and loading win 7?

Tim, try to upgrade and let me know. I can't run on a win 7 without paying. Tried what you said cause a buddy told me and it was a no go.

The game ran just fine on my pc until about a week ago. Any other game runs fine, just Civ5..

I am talking about compatibility mode. If you right click on the steam icon or any .exe and go to properties, there should be a tab that says compatibility. You can choose to run the application in windows 7 mode.

Did you do both steam and civ5 .exe?

From another thread:
I was using win 7 compatibility on the game exe only but as soon as I did it to steam she started up no problem and running beautiful.

Are you the only user logging in? Are you set up as the administrator?

Made some backups and reinstalled steam yesterday, and after some minor struggles it seems to be running again or at least launch.

No spesific compability-settings, just a clean fresh install..

Made some backups and reinstalled steam yesterday, and after some minor struggles it seems to be running again or at least launch.

No spesific compability-settings, just a clean fresh install..

Two days later; can`t start the game. Screen starts fickering, have to restart puter. Tryed different settings but With the same result.

Could it be that the computer is overheating? The only other thing is, since it is a new computer, perhaps there is an issue with the DIMM memory module, that keeps corrupting files?

Top Bottom