Windows Update did some weird stuff

Yeah, they have.

Question: If you switch from Windows to Linux, do you have to do a manual backup or can it transfer the files for you? I googled it and got some networking stuff.

This is where I point out that you can try using Wubi to install Ubuntu inside your Windows install. It takes care of all the dual-boot business and Ubuntu can be deleted at any time you want without mucking about with partitions.

Also, yes, because they really belong together.

Well, I do manual backups anyways. But my external's running out of room and my CDs aren't really organized. LOL

Thanks.

OK: So I booted up from a CD to see what I could do. There was no free space available. I went back into Vista and managed to delete my empty recovery partition (yay for me) but I can't shrink the Vista thing. All the options are greyed out.

Any ideas now? I found something on using the command line. I'm not scared of it, but I. Majorly. Suck. At. It. So I'd rather not use it unless I have to.

Thanks.

EDIT: I tried anyways. What did I do wrong?

Spoiler :

Use Wubi dammit. It doesnt need a partition, it instead creates a virtual file that it uses as a hard drive.

I prefer a partition.

I'm downloading something called G-Parted.

Something funny: When I came back to Windows after trying to install Linux, I didn't have the odd bootloader issue. :hmm:

Also the motherboard speaker got stuck on a beep and made this weird screeching noise but it went away after 3 seconds.

GParted wouldn't resize it.

I have to go to bed now.

I prefer a partition.
So, instead of making a throwaway OS on a virtual disk ( which is what Linux is so far for you) you're going to much around with partitions, possibly wipe out your windows install along with all your files? Remember you asked how to be a better geek? This is one of those things -- KISS.

I'll try it ....

But supposing I want to keep it and not have to reinstall every time I have to reinstall Windows? Is there a way to convert it to a partition after?

EDIT: I tried defragging it but didn't help.

EDIT: Or I could install Linux then install Windows after that. But I read about problems with Windows (being the arrogant thing it is) overwriting the bootloader. Is this true, and is there a fix for it? I'd have to do a total backup first. Yay CDs.

Update: Today at school I looked it up and apparently it does overwrite the bootloader but its fixable.

Gotta do a backup first. Don't want to lose my Civ4 savegames. ;)

I just made the switch. I nuked the Windows partition.

So far it's pretty smooth. But is there a quick way to minimize all the windows to show the desktop?

Also, where's the Linux "task manager"? I tried ctrl+alt+del (just to see what would happen) and got some stuff on shutting down.

Go to terminal and type ps

ps -A will show all processes on the system.

You should also be able to find GUI apps for this.

EDIT -- forgot the customary rant about how you should really google this stuff first. Seriously, it takes all of 3 seconds to find this on google.

OK.

Another thing: Folding@Home. I found some scripts to install it online, but I don't think it's working.

Top Bottom