Windows XP Home cannot find hard drive

Maniacal

the green Napoleon
http://secure.ncix.com/pcbuilder/index.php?action=getprice&id=2234715&platformid=1000

Well, my new computer is nice but i tihnk I just noticed a big mistake. My hard drive is SATA2. I don't know if this is the problem but when I hooked pu the monitor and booted up it gave me a boot disk error and said to put the system disk in. It goes ahead and installs everything then says it cannot find the harddrive and must exit set-up. :s HELP!

This was a differnet hard drive I had changed a short time before ordering as it was only 6 cents more for 50 more gigs. Althoguh as i scan the list I can't see any SATA 200gigs there... and it was also a seagate.

Your motherboard should support SATAII, but it doesn't matter anyway - it's backwards compatible. I thought they build and tested the system for you?

It's probably either a problem with boot priority in the BIOS. If windows is able to see it and install then it should be connected correctly.

Well, it installed some of it then it can't find the hard drive. It did suggest maybe it's not connected properly.
The system runs just fine, I can hear the fans but they aren't loud. The motherboard box is big enough they were able to stick extra cables, driver installation cds, manuals all in there. Hw do I go about fixing this though? I have no idea.

The gfx card box is HUGE! And it has a handle on it!
On another note I thoguht there was water damage to the CD because it has this really nice holo sky pattern on it in a somewhat discoloured copper colour.

Does it actually begin installing before it dies, or is it just loading setup files?

Do you have another hd to test with? Try connecting another hd and see if it works. If it does, its prob the hd that you were using, if neither work, then i bid you good luck...

If it was installed when you got it, did it work then?

If you're not willing to even open the case though, you may as well send it back.

I only just set it up yesterday. I will open the case then and look. I do not have any box or manual about the HD. It is listed as having been installed.

EDIT: There was one cord not attached. Thanks!

*locks thread*

Thank You Note: I thank all of you for putting up with my... eratic, behaviour, my comp runs like a dream, thank you all very much!

PrinceScamp said:
I only just set it up yesterday. I will open the case then and look. I do not have any box or manual about the HD. It is listed as having been installed.

EDIT: There was one cord not attached. Thanks!

*locks thread*

Thank You Note: I thank all of you for putting up with my... eratic, behaviour, my comp runs like a dream, thank you all very much!
Thats the first thing you do when hardware behaves erratically. Check if its connected..

Top Bottom