1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Windows XP: no sound at all.

Discussion in 'Other Sid Meier Games' started by Drakan, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Drakan

Drakan Voluntas Omnia Vincit

Hi,

I would very much appreciate someone helping me out.I know the sound and music in this game was very good.

-i've tried the compatibility wizard under windows 95,98 and still no sound.
    - i've tried the VDM sound, i install it, then run the game and still no sound.

can anyone give me a hand ? xnks

2. thestonesfan

thestonesfan A Client of Ron Kuby

Strange. VDM sound works for every game I've tried it with, but I can't remember if I've tried Colonization yet. Have you used it with other games?

3. Drakan

No never before. I've installed it but i'm not that sure it's working properly. i've probably done it wrong being my first time...ehem....

4. LLXerxes

LLXerxes Space Travel is Boring

I'm guessing, and have never heard of this colonization game, but I think you didn't install
    it all the way...
    That was the problem with my Civ one time

5. Captain Carnage

Captain Carnage King

are the DMA, IRQ and I/O set up properly?

6. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Are you sure you have a compatible sound card? I've never played Colonization, but it seems like an older DOS game. What type of sound card do you have? Old games used ones like Sound Blaster, Roland, and the computer 'speaker'.

7. spycatcher34

spycatcher34 Emperor

Ive tried VDM with colonization and it works perfectly with my dos version...

8. Drakan

What the....is all this..? :blush:

No, I haven't checked out the sound card. I can play Colonization, so I managed at least to install it properly but it did crash after 20 minutes of playing, hmmm. The game is beautiful and I would really like to play it out properly.

A whole lot of options appear regarding the sound when installing it; trouble is all these sound cards are from almost ten years ago (the sound blaster..). Does this mean that I cannot play with my modern sound card ? What can I do then ?

Spycatchar34: are you playing Colonization with windows XP and have no sound problems or anything ? Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate any help.

9. Colonel

Colonel Rule of Law

You cant fix it mine works that way too, it has something to do with the copatiablity with newer sound cards. I had a friend who knows everything about comps and he couldnt fix it and he spent like 3 hours trying

10. Captain Carnage

Captain Carnage King

Try running the Install/Setup program, choose Soundblaster or Soundblaster Pro, set the IRQ as 5, DMA as 1 and I/O address to 220.

That's how I have mine set up and my sound card isn't a Soundblaster, but I still get sound when playing.

11. spycatcher34

spycatcher34 Emperor

I am. I know this may sound dumb, forgive me if you already have done it, but have you tried running the game in compatiability mode?

Edit: Sorry I just reread your first post, honestly I dont know what your problem may be, as I simply installed the game(choose no sound from teh options) configured VDM sound, and put it in compatibility mode and it works perfectly for me.

12. Drakan

Thanks Bad Cops and Spycatcher34, i'll follow your advices and try it out.

13. dalgo

dalgo Emperor

Quick question - what is VDM sound?

I am also running Colonization under Win XP but with no sound. I did try using DOSBox which is a DOS simulator for running old games and the sound was fine in that but unfortunately I lost the keyboard for some reason and it's a bit of a pain to play just with the mouse. DOSBox is available free at:
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/information.php?page=0

14. spycatcher34

spycatcher34 Emperor

http://ntvdm.cjb.net/

15. Drakan

Dalgo, do you mind explaining how does Dosbox work. I downloaded it but i'm not sure how to get it to run the CDrom of Colonization. Am I meant to type something in the dos screen to get it to work?

Also how can I save the game. Everytime i try it doesn't allow me to because "there are no slots available", go figure. The game also crashes within the hour of playing in Windows XP. No sound and no sound effects either. What a disaster.

The game seems really cool. Reading the manual makes me even more eager, but I just cannot play like this. I'm sorry i'm not at ease with computers.

16. dalgo

dalgo Emperor

There is a comprehensive guide to DOSBox here:
    http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewforum.php?f=39

Colonization is not very stable under XP, unfortunately, but I haven't heard of your save game problem before. You should be shown a screen with 8 save slots and you just select one of them.

17. Drakan

Yes I try selecting any of them 8, and a message crops up saying there are no available slots free.

I'll try it over the weekend again and I'll post again. Anyway, thanks for the help.