Windows XP Service Pack 3 = Malware

Windows 95 has been unsupported for nearly a decade, and when it was around, Mac OS looked like this:

And X11 looked like this:
Spoiler :

Zelig said:
You're stretching the analogy too far, security through obscurity will never be as good for practical purposes as security by design.
I both agree and disagree.

I agree on the basis that an intellectual challenge is stimulating, good practice for the muscle in our heads, and if properly documented it can benefit wider human knowledge.

However, I also disagree on the basis that all designs are man-made and consequently imperfect. None of us are God.

In other words, an impenetrable design can often be restated as not currently having known holes (my emphasis) - I challenge you to hack my Commodore 16 ;)

And X11 looked like this:
Spoiler :
Oooo... notalgia :D

This is what I used way back. It's much older!! It was on my Commodore. Did you know you can install Linux on a Commodore. Where did I learn such stuff? :blush:

And this one really kicked arse but maybe the apps shown are newer. Its the grand-daddy of Haiku.org - check it out!! :p
Spoiler :

And this is another one that kicked arse but the company just scrapped it! :sad:
Spoiler :

However, the good news is you have a PC and you can install MacOS on it! :D

Wait what? You cannot install OS X on a non-apple system unless it's been hacked to work on it (see: Hackintosh)

http://lifehacker.com/5360150/install-snow-leopard-on-your-hackintosh-pc-no-hacking-required

doesn't seem so hard, before you say snow leopard sucks, try it for a week

Essentially the same as hacked there. You need very specific hardware for it to work, which kind of defeats the point of the pc platform (That I can use hardware of my choice) and not all of the features of the hardware are supported.

With Linux, Unix or Windows otoh, I can install on pretty much any combination of hardware and have it work.

Essentially the same as hacked there. You need very specific hardware for it to work, which kind of defeats the point of the pc platform (That I can use hardware of my choice) and not all of the features of the hardware are supported.

With Linux, Unix or Windows otoh, I can install on pretty much any combination of hardware and have it work.
Windows is designed for hardware not people, which is why it has seemed to suck since MS-DOS, did you know you can install Core i7 into a Mac Pro

PS excel was invented for the Macintosh

Oh my, is this going to turn into a PC vs Mac fanboi fightathon? :ack:

Windows is designed for hardware not people, which is why it has seemed to suck since MS-DOS, did you know you can install Core i7 into a Mac Pro

Did you know that I could use a Core i7 with Windows since it came out? Did you know that even then, a Core i7 pc, fully loaded was under 2000$? Did you know that the Mac Pro currently starts at 2500$? Its not even close to fully loaded too.

PS, did you know that the first excel-like program was for the CP/M? The only reason that the Apple II got the first excel was because Multipan sold well on the Apple II platform. It was all a game of profits, not 'best platform'

Did you know that I could use a Core i7 with Windows since it came out? Did you know that even then, a Core i7 pc, fully loaded was under 2000$? Did you know that the Mac Pro currently starts at 2500$? Its not even close to fully loaded too.

PS, did you know that the first excel-like program was for the CP/M? The only reason that the Apple II got the first excel was because Multipan sold well on the Apple II platform. It was all a game of profits, not 'best platform'
:confused: the core i7 Extreme is $1000, but yeah Mac Pros are horrendously over priced, yes I did know that about excel, but my way sounds better

:confused: the core i7 Extreme is $1000, but yeah Mac Pros are horrendously over priced, yes I did know that about excel, but my way sounds better

You never needed a Core i7 Extreme to be fully loaded. A 920 would work just fine, even more so when you overclocked.

Also, what the hell kind of an argument is that? "Oh sure, lets ignore the facts cus they make my way sound worse"

Wait what? You cannot install OS X on a non-apple system unless it's been hacked to work on it (see: Hackintosh)
Hackintosh is a generic term for any non-Apple PC that is running MacOS.

This is sometimes very easy. For example, by selecting the right PC components, a Hackintosh can be built and deployed without significant modifications.

In other cases it can be tricky, especially when the chosen hardware is not supported in Darwin/MacOS. This can cause the need for modified distributions of MacOS such as Kallyway.

Oh my, is this going to turn into a PC vs Mac fanboi fightathon? :ack:
:mischief:

I can fix that because I am using a PPC! The only real hackintosh is an Intel machintosh! :D

no love for AMD?
Oh AMD is fine. Go ahead and build a super fast AMD/MacOS machine! :)

I was just picking on the newer lines of Apple products and implying that the company might have sold-out for raw profit rather than any loyalty.

Oh AMD is fine. Go ahead and build a super fast AMD/MacOS machine! :)

I was just picking on the newer lines of Apple products and implying that the company might have sold-out for raw profit rather than any loyalty.

You my friend are sadly mistaken if you think Apple has been about anything but profit for a long long time.

Hackintosh is a generic term for any non-Apple PC that is running MacOS.

This is sometimes very easy. For example, by selecting the right PC components, a Hackintosh can be built and deployed without significant modifications.

In other cases it can be tricky, especially when the chosen hardware is not supported in Darwin/MacOS. This can cause the need for modified distributions of MacOS such as Kallyway.

How many possibly combinations of hardware do I have that can run Windows, Unix or Linux? Its up in the thousands, maybe even millions. How many are there that can run OSX? Couple hundred maybe?

You're into thousands again.

It is harder with MacOS but bare in mind that Windows has much wider support than Linux and Linux has wider support than BSD etc. If your argument is unbiased, there is only one OS for you.

You're into thousands again.

It is harder with MacOS but bare in mind that Windows has much wider support than Linux and Linux has wider support than BSD etc. If your argument is unbiased, there is only one OS for you.

Thousands of what? :confused:

I dont get what point you're trying to make here.

Also, fyi, this household is multi-OS enabled. We've got everything from W2K to Win 7, Linux, and FBSD. We use what works, not what looks pretty and makes you 'hip' (read: eejit)

Top Bottom