1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Winning a game - Analysis on nuclear holocaust and what would you do?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rise of Mankind' started by 45°38'N-13°47'E, Apr 12, 2010.

1. szemek77

szemek77 Chieftain

Not to mention people who wear a belt filled with explosives and nails and pull the trigger in a crowded area with 100 % possibility of own death, and 0 % sense in doing so.

As for the game. Don't stick to reality factor too much...

2. Crimson Phantom

Crimson Phantom Chieftain

I defend nuclear weapons because they are a guarentee of peace. The U.S.S.R. and the U.S.A. were both invaded/attacked in 1941, when neither had nuclear weapons. Neither have seen such an attack by a foreign state since they have developed their atomic deterrants. Only once in world history, during the Yom Kippur War, has a nuclear state been attacked by foreign powers.

Atomic weapons are a much more effective deterrant, dollar for dollar, than any other manpower or firepower that could be purchased. In the case of the Yom Kippur War, I believe that nuclear retaliation would likely have been used if the survival of the state of Israel appeared in immediate danger. It was clearly a miscalcuation by the arab states to invade, a miscalculation they would have paid dearly for had they come close to winning the war.

Not to mention people who wear a belt filled with explosives and nails and pull the trigger in a crowded area with 100 % possibility of own death, and 0 % sense in doing so.

Suicide bombers are much more understandable and "reasonable" than anyone who would use strategic nuclear weapons - men are willing to sacrifice their own lives, but much less often are they willing to sacrifice the lives of every one of their family, friends and countrymen. Suicide bombers guarentee their own deaths, not the deaths of everyone on "their side".

3. steampunk1880

steampunk1880 Chieftain

Who's to say a society couldn't develop that relishes nuclear war and fiery death to thine enemies. I play Civ to tell a story and imagine how a society would develop given certain events, wars, battles etc. and have my civ act accordingly. I recall my hyper-xenophobic fascist Roman juggernaut and its ultimate campagin of extermination (for military victory) external diplomatic and trade penalties wouldn't bother them because its all closed borders and mercantile and they were planning on razing everybody to the ground anyway but why would They get so upset at me nuking the crud out of the Other. If you are going to add unhappiness penalties for using nukes, please have it mitigated by civics such as Fascism and Nationalism and by fallout shelters.

I'd even like it if we could go for post nuclear simulation as the world copes with the effects of fallout and global warming. I'm thinking extra-expensive trans-human era building projects under Megastructure Engineering like Underground Vaults 1, 2, 3, providing extra hammers and commerce and further steps for vertical farms or something similar to the tune of going underground. Maybe instead of just more Food, hammers, commerce for the city these buildings would provide resource bonuses in fallout as in such structures would be built under and take the place of ordinary improvements in the blasted terrain at least up to +3+3+3. Also units without hazard suit or sealed cockpit promotions would take damage while moving through fallout.

Finally, why isn't there a repeatable national project that dials back a Visible global warming counter and a terraforming unit that can desert->plains->grassland

... I enjoyed Bethesda's recent RPG