[WIP] 3rd Unique Component Project

Moderator Action: I haven't intervened so far with respect to the modiquette discussion in this thread as it's been a friendly and well-mannered discussion; however, let's not derail the thread any further; if you wish to continue the discussion, please do so via pm - or start a new thread.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Okay! All 43 civs have at least 1 UC now. I'd like to hear some opinions. Are some UCs too strong? Too weak? Too boring? Do you have a different UC/art you want to use? I'm open to ideas.

http://imgur.com/a/WKfIQ (48 images)

I would change India's to something else because user's of the India civilization pack would be out of luck given that in that pack India's UB is also a temple replacing mandir.

I would change India's to something else because user's of the India civilization pack would be out of luck given that in that pack India's UB is also a temple replacing mandir.

Sounds good. We could give India a Colosseum UB replacements that can only be built in the first 4 cities-- to reinforce that India is supposed to go tall. Perhaps a "Karthikai Deepam" (Festival of Lights), even though that's not really a building.

Alternatively, we could have a Monument/Shrine replacement to help Ghandi with his slow start. Maybe a Stupa?

EDIT: Quick Stupa sample. Giving Ghandi a Shrine that boosts happiness will certainly help with his early-game deficit. I wanted to limit them to 5 per Civ like the Recycling Center, but that only seems to work with BuildingsClasses, and not individual Buildings. So it would probably require custom LUA coding, with which I'm inexperienced.

Spoiler :

looks good

Okay, I've uploaded the mod. I'm considering this to be the testing phase until I get more feedback. The biggest changes to this version includes a French Salon and Indian Festival. Should be compatible most other mods, including R.E.D./Ethnic Diversity. More Civilization mods shouldn't conflict, but obviously won't have a 3rd UC. There currently seems to be some incompatibility with the Colonial Legacies: Australia mod. Also, any mods that change the basic functionality of buildings (Universities only yield 5% science, riflemen are ranged, Colosseums yield +20 Happiness) will not affect the new UBs/UUs.

Aside from adding a few things, Carthage's UA is changed (free lighthouses instead) and the Shoshone start bias is set to Plains.

Please try it out and let me know if anything works improperly.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=23635

Those are so much options for new events and decisions.....
I'm going to try this... :goodjob:

The fishpond is still replacing the granary and the strategy text for the ger calls it a yurt and says it's the hun's UB.

The fishpond is still replacing the granary and the strategy text for the ger calls it a yurt and says it's the hun's UB.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'll fix those for the next upload.

Also, William of Orange now has another UI to stand next to his Polders: the Tulip Garden!

Spoiler :

The Nertherlands never looked so colorful! The Tulip Garden represents "Tulipmania", the time in Dutch history wherein Tulips became a valuable trading commodity.

Only buildable on Grassland tiles(Flat or Hills), they yield 2 Gold and 1 Culture, and +1 Gold on Economics. Compared to the Trading post (which yields +1 Gold, +1 Gold on Economics, +1 Gold with Commerce, and +1 Science with Rationalism) Tulips are the preferred Grassland improvement, yet Trading Posts must still be built on Plains and Jungle tiles. This improvement will certainly be loved by William, who prefers diplomatic and cultural victories.

Why does the Ger replaces shrine?

Why does the Ger replaces shrine?
It doesn't. The front page is outdated.

I'm preparing to release the final version of this mod. Here is what we have in the file. (Please pardon the compression)

Ignore that I called the Hunnic Yurt "Mongolian"

Also, the Madrasah is a University, not a Temple.

And here's everything I currently have for the 4th/Alt component:

Here's a pic of the Egyptian Flax, using Horem's resources:
Spoiler :

Some are underpowered, some look wrong to me, and some are great!:goodjob:

Wow, amazing idea. The art is beautiful and the 3rd c is actually balanced. Are you going to upload that more complete grid to the front page though?

Nice mod!

The only thing I'm don't think is a good idea is removing the free harbor UA that Carthage has. The whole advantage of the free Harbors was being able to plant cities on different islands/continents and being able to get instant city connections.

Otherwise you have to wait until the medieval era. Remember that a UA is supposed to be a unique ability that distinguishes the civ and makes its style and strategy very different from the next civ. A free lighthouse doesn't really have that same impact - that's almost like playing a civ without a UA at all. The instant free city connection is really important if you are planting distant cities as otherwise building maintenance sends you bankrupt quite quickly - Carthage was the only civ that could in a way overcome the challenge of building early far-flung cities that are normally unviable.

I think you should change the UA back to free harbors but also keep the Cothon as a free Harbor replacement. So essentially every city gets a free Cothon immediately.

The Cothon replacement isn't that powerful that having it for free at the start would be an unfair advantage to Carthage but the bonus to shipbuilding, navel experience & trade routes would fit quite nicely with their triremes.
You could maybe add +1 gold to sea resources and atolls in cities with a Cothon and then I think Carthage would function quite well. The existing UA is a bit weak so giving them a stronger harbor from the start should fix that issue.

Otherwise great job!

I agree with you, Carthage's UA shouldn't have been changed. The one time I ever played them [on Earth map] was to try their UA by colonizing the pacific islands - I started at Indochina, so I settled all the way to Australia.

It was very fun to actually make use of everything they have [UA to connect cities, UUs to fight raging barbs' galleys and troops around/on the inslands]. It would not have been possible without the UA.

The only other civ that can even think of trying this early is Indonesia itself, because the spices give insta gold in the first 03 islands, but it is much harder to pull.

I agree with you, Carthage's UA shouldn't have been changed. The one time I ever played them [on Earth map] was to try their UA by colonizing the pacific islands - I started at Indochina, so I settled all the way to Australia.

It was very fun to actually make use of everything they have [UA to connect cities, UUs to fight raging barbs' galleys and troops around/on the inslands]. It would not have been possible without the UA.

The only other civ that can even think of trying this early is Indonesia itself, because the spices give insta gold in the first 03 islands, but it is much harder to pull.

Yeah as most people would agree that Carthage is a little weak right now so changing the UA to a free lighthouse arguably makes them weaker.

Then there is also the problem that a free lighthouse overlaps with the Great Lighthouse Wonder and makes part of its benefit redundant. The Great Lighthouse is one Wonder that Carthage should always consider building but if you already get a Free Lighthouse the wonder arguably becomes a waste.

Ottomans's third unique UU/UB must be Enderun School not Hamam.

Five divisions of the Enderun School;

Islamic sciences; including Arabic, Turkish and Persian language education
Positive sciences; mathematics, geography
History, law, and administration: the customs of the Palace and government issues
Vocational studies, including art and music education
Physical training, including weaponry

It may give Science and slight culture boost and maybe some exp to units. Btw, all Janissaries graduated from those Schools.

Top Bottom