• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[WIP] End of Civilization: Canada

HPLovecraft

Chieftain
The confederation is broken.

Once the disease hit, the outcome was inevitable. The bombs and fires were overkill.

North America is in shambles. The ambitious child of the Old World has finally learned its lesson -- past sins and crimes finally catching up with it. The continent that once posessed the world's mightiest nation now posesses none.

This is the End of Civilization: Canada.

==================================

The world's military and economic rule has been passed once more to the old continent, and it's up to you to raise North America from the dead and burnt that cover it. Raise it like a phoenix, and nurture the great ideals that once formed it, or destroy those beliefs and values once and for all, claiming a New World in your image.

Hello all!

The above is a very small teaser of what I'm creating. It's a post-apocolyptic scenario -- well, series of scenarios, really -- based in North America after a number of civilization destroying incidents. I have quite a large bit of story behind it, and I'm trying to create it in a strategy/RPG kind of vein.

I decided to start it in Canada, because, well, I'm Canadian, and I never see any Canadian-centric mods for games. I see plenty of modern-day American civil war ones, but that's it. Us northeners need some love, too!

It may be tough to get a real grip on what this scenario is about from what's above, and the few images I'll attach to this post, but I'll be updating this thread as I go along in the creation progress. You can come up with some of your own conclusions, until then. ;) I'd create a feature list, as well, but I find those rather boresom.

Oh yes, I'd also appreciate any ideas, suggestions, or comments you may wish to provide. What would you like to see in a series of post-apocolyptic scenarios based in North America? Keep in mind there are no mutants, aliens, or zombies involved. ;)

A very small number of pics, of a very early work in progress:

Attachments

• ontario.JPG
    ontario.JPG
    272.1 KB · Views: 2,527
No no no ;) . If its apocalyptic scenario you've got to have mutants and zombies. :lol:
I find that in civ if you have a stockpile of nukes and you launch them. You pretty much have an apocalyptic scenario soon enough.

HP for extra fun you could start the scenario when it isnt yet an apocalypse. Create that disease you were mentioning, or the game starts with a small barbarian island somewhere having a LOT of nukes. A friend did this for laughs, as the turn ended the barbarian city randomly nuked everyone. Apocalypse ensued and global warming turned most tiles to desert. There were a lot of nukes to go round :lol: . Its an idea for a different start anyway. Good luck.

Los Tirano said:
No no no ;) . If its apocalyptic scenario you've got to have mutants and zombies. :lol:
I find that in civ if you have a stockpile of nukes and you launch them. You pretty much have an apocalyptic scenario soon enough.

HP for extra fun you could start the scenario when it isnt yet an apocalypse. Create that disease you were mentioning, or the game starts with a small barbarian island somewhere having a LOT of nukes. A friend did this for laughs, as the turn ended the barbarian city randomly nuked everyone. Apocalypse ensued and global warming turned most tiles to desert. There were a lot of nukes to go round :lol: . Its an idea for a different start anyway. Good luck.

That's a very cool idea! I actually have a few ideas for the 'disease,' including turning religion into a form of it. Of course, it wouldn't be called religion, then. ;)

MrUnderhill said:
Make sure you have a New California civ.
I'd hate to see my home state go down without a fight. Figuratively speaking, of course. :D

Well, for this first scenario it's ONLY Canada, except for a few northern US cities. The US is in a bit rougher shape than Canada, as far as my storyline goes. The remnants also pose a bit of a quandry for the free provinces of Canada. It shall be fun to create! I put up another screenshot... The map building process is time consuming as all hell.

Ahh religion as the disease, is see how that could work. High rate of spread and each time it spreads the city loses population. An ingenius idea HP. But i am going to have to say that in my view religion often proves to be a disease of the mind. :lol:

Cmon make disease zombies... :ar15: :drool: :drool:

Quick update, not that I know if anyone is actually reading these or not, of course.

I've finalized all the factions, and only have to place the final three northern Canadian ones.

The list is as follows:

Prince Edward Island
New Brunswick
Newfoundland
Nova Scotia
État indépendant du Québec (Independent State of Quebec)
Ontario
Manitoba
Saskatchewan
Alberta
British Columbia
Yukon
Northwest Territory
Nunavut
American Reclamation Force - Northern Sector
United Nations - Unplayable

Along with these, there are scattered 'city-states,' of both prior Canadian and American cities. The ARF is only the northern most sector of it. They will play quite a large role, and the various Canadian provinces will be plying for their favour during the beginning and mid-game. They will be the only faction in posession of some of the most advanced units in the game from the start, including nukes -- which, again, will play a large part in it.

I've attached a few more pics.

Attachments

• mil.JPG
    mil.JPG
    271.8 KB · Views: 1,168
  • olympia.JPG
    olympia.JPG
    275.5 KB · Views: 1,092
Ahh, gotcha! I might end up moving this to the Complete Mod forum once it's complete, anyways...

I've added 20 new units to the mod, and there will likely be a few more, still... They're all concerning modern combat. I still have toedit their stats and what-not, but at least the models are finally in-game!

Still on the to-do list:

Revamp the tech. tree.
Revamp religions.
Edit all the new units.
Complete Civilopedia entries and the storyline.

Here are a few more screenshots for anyone out there who's listening...

Screenie 1: The Civilopedia entry for the American Recalamation Force.
Screenie 2: The Civilopedia entry for General Kleff, CICARF
Screenie 3: A view in the editor after the United Nations (the U.N. in name only!) lands an expeditionary force in the former Washington state. Don't mind the barbarion warriors. I just haven't made them modern yet.

Attachments

• infoarf.JPG
    infoarf.JPG
    210.6 KB · Views: 1,123
  • arfleader.JPG
    arfleader.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 1,123
  • un.JPG
    un.JPG
    255.1 KB · Views: 1,021
oh, this looks great!!! :goodjob:
please please contact me, if it is completely finished :)
The fact that it has a deeper storyline(at least it seems so) makes this scenario really interessting.

Without a good story the best map gets boring...

greetings,
Sviothid

Sviothid said:
oh, this looks great!!! :goodjob:
please please contact me, if it is completely finished :)
The fact that it has a deeper storyline(at least it seems so) makes this scenario really interessting.

Without a good story the best map gets boring...

greetings,
Sviothid

Thanks for the interest. :)

I've also decided on how I'm going to redo religion. It will now act as 'foreign influences.' For example, with North America now splintered, the larger powers in Europe and Asia are beginning to exert 'influence' on different groups. So, Russian Influence may spread throughout Canada, battling with Chinese Influence and French Influence. If you fully switch to say, the Russian sphere of influence, they'll even be kind enough to supply you with some military machinery... Like, say, the ability to train T-72 tanks and older MiG-21 jets.

An incomplete tech. tree. I still need to add the offensive air branch, stealth technology, anti-armor craft, and possible advanced anti-armor of some sort. I may add the Gunship to a branch of the Modern Armor Doctrine tree. Possibly as Armor Support or something. I also need to add Satellites, and POSSIBLY a seperate tree for Naval craft. The scenario doesn't really concentrate on those, though, since there's not much water to begin with... And, of course, I need to fine-tune requirements and unit placements on the tree itself.

The tree will end up not being as large as some mods, but I despise tech. advances that don't give you anything and are just there for filler to reach the good stuff, so I've tried to avoid those as much as possible. factions will, of course, be recieving two techs to begin with, depending on their style -- what branch of the military the storyline says they specialize in the most. And there will also be the units not buildable by way of the tech. tree, but instead by over-seas influence.

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 863
Yeah, upon reading this thread that's all I have to say...and that I CAN'T WAIT to play this!!!! It sounds awesome...and it's such an involved back story and characters it's like I'm actually playing out the future, I simply cannot wait to play this. It looks like it's going to be my new favorite Civ Mod!:D

griff09 said:
Yeah, upon reading this thread that's all I have to say...and that I CAN'T WAIT to play this!!!! It sounds awesome...and it's such an involved back story and characters it's like I'm actually playing out the future, I simply cannot wait to play this. It looks like it's going to be my new favorite Civ Mod!:D

Hey, thanks for the kind words! It's greatly motivational to see a post like that, instead of just views with no replies. :(

Civ4 is one of the easiest games I've modded, so I'm making great progress in little amount of time. I didn't mean to make the 'scenario' this big, I meant to use it as a practice scenario to get used to Civ4 modding, but it's kind of snowballed and 've got lots of new stuff added. :p

hmmm the idea is fantastic, so basicly whats the world order? there was a global war? i am not sure if i really catched the background story ... well that could might be my not native english and you wrote on an very "educated level" :goodjob:

i think the mod will be great, i cant wait to play it and - especially - the idea with more then just canadian map sounds interesting, a real story

xxJFKxx said:
hmmm the idea is fantastic, so basicly whats the world order? there was a global war? i am not sure if i really catched the background story ... well that could might be my not native english and you wrote on an very "educated level" :goodjob:

i think the mod will be great, i cant wait to play it and - especially - the idea with more then just canadian map sounds interesting, a real story

Nope, not a 'global war.' The route cause of it all was a disease that began in the U.S. and spread throughout the country and into the southern part of Canada before being contained to a respectable level. By then, a lot of stuff had already happened. America descended into anarchy, events happened in Canada that caused civil war to erupt, although not wide scale. It was, though, enough to break the confederation. So, you take control just after the confederation DID break up... So, provinces haven't had time to establish dominance over others, etc.

It's not the most original idea, and I hope you can understand that, with your native language not being English. The governments and countries in Europe and other continents remain basically the same. No war has happened there, although they are fighting for influence and dominance in the new world order that has arisen in North America. FOr instance, France's citizens view it as a sort of second age of colonization. This back story is in the game in civilopedia entries.

EDIT: Here's a pic of a number of the new units in the game. These were all skinned and modelled by members of the community here, and they'll be given the proper credit!

Attachments

• units.JPG
    units.JPG
    307.2 KB · Views: 1,112
hmmm you talked about a confederation...which confederation do you mean?
hopefully this question isn't too stupid but I was always wondering about "the confederation"

can't wait for this scenario...i agree with/to/for(??) griff09 estimating that this scenario has alot of potencial :)

Top Bottom