1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Wonder 50% return

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Victoria, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Jackanape

Jackanape Chieftain

Aha. Thanks! Maybe we'll see a build queue return in the XP...would solve a lot.

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

So I swapped from a campus to the mausoleum while the campus was at 11 production
    I then used Firetuner to give myself 200 production, with Catherines +20% for some reason this came out at 221 production
    I then swapped back to building the campus
    I then went to a persian city and force built the Mausoleum
    I then looked at my campus production and it has grown 110 production before my turn has finished.
    I was playing as Catherine and she does not get a higher % on return as she has already got 20% on this before.
    It looks a lot like 50% to me

upload_2018-1-2_19-51-54.png

Well when you get to an open level of diplomatic visibility you are warned when an civ is starting a wonder if you can be bothered reading the info given to you.
    More traditionally you can see it on the board and judge how much it has grown. This judging is part of the design as you see the developers assessing this also in let’s play scenarios.

3. Art Morte

Art Morte Chieftain

Is this meant to be like this? Sounds like a hidden thing to me. Not that I've read the civilopedia.

Secondly, would make more sense to me if you simply got some production back even without a build queue. Maybe hammers that can only go towards districts or buildings, not other wonders or units.

4. Kyro

Kyro Chieftain

I am Chinese and I can do some translation. I have no idea what the monkey (猴子 Hóuzi) refers to, I think it's a player in-game name and what Duang is though.

Translation:
    To list a simple example, suppose we hammered 400 production into a Wonder, then cut into a Monkey, at the end of the turn* (Duang???), in an instant, Monkey receives a 200 production overflow and even retained 170 production. Actually, on the turn when you saw that everything else seemed very cheap to produce, you were looking at it with an excess of 170 production. This excess production was then removed because the city lacked any target for production for that turn the overflow existed.

What I think it means:
    A player missed a 400 production wonder and 200 production was retained. 30 of that 200 production was used to build something which is why the production seemed cheap since it was using the overflow of 200 production. However, even though there was an excess of 170 production leftover, the game completely removed the access production at the end of the turn and reverted it back to the city's turn-based output because there was no target being produced for that turn and cities cannot be idle in Civ 6.

5. Victoria

No, it’s not meant to be but I think the overflow mechanic is shared with other things and they had to stop some incorrect bleeding, purely my view.Another civ VI plaster on a wound that needs better healing

I already have a translation of the whole text from the esteemed @FurionHuang and Duang is their slang for when another civ has beaten you to the wonder. I think we should use it, we have no such word.
    I was quoting part of @Rogue-star own posts to him for clarification.

Icicle and Art Morte like this.
  6. Kyro

Kyro Chieftain

@Victoria

Ahh I was wondering why Chinese was floating around in these forums. Now I see.

As for "Duang" I don't think there's actually a Chinese word that sounds like that, the closest is 挡 (Dǎng) which is to block somebody. (Would be interesting to find out how they came up with it.)

7. liv

liv Chieftain

I am all for adoping "duang"
    and thanks Victoria for this

Duuk likes this.
  8. Jackanape

Jackanape Chieftain

I hope my question didn't come off as arrogant as the answer implies, and if so, I apologize. Naturally, I "can be bothered" to pay attention to everything the game gives me, and I am aware of the starting notification you get when wonders are begun by civs with whom you have sufficient visibility. (Which are devilishly hard to find when you want to go back and see which civ that was, by the way...)

However, I was unaware that there was an ending notification, as implied above...as it turns out there is no ending notification at all, which was the answer I had sought.

Ultimately, the UI needs a better way to display all this info, and retrieve it after the fact...here's hoping the XP solves that.

9. Victoria

Non no, it’s my fault for using those words. They were intended to everyone (including myself) who does not read all those central Brown signs that come up when diplomatic visibility improves. I know they help my game but I just cannot be bothered despite them reducing quantity.
    I should have been clearer in my reply, apologies @Jackanape
    I am unaware of a ‘near ending’notification. There is a beginning and an ended.

@FurionHuang , @Rogue-star or @Wandering_Dandelion would one of you be so kind and reply to this?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2018
  10. ONDOLINDE

ONDOLINDE Chieftain

CQUI mod has one and I have seen how one can benefit from having the second item in your queue. Don’t know by how much, but there’s a benefit.

Duuk likes this.
  11. Kyro

Kyro Chieftain

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duang

Could it be? Not a real Chinese Word though, made by a combination of the characters of Jackie Chan's chinese name with its pronounciation derived from the "Duang" he said during a commercial.

It would explain why they chose to use english since that character doesn't exist in the fonts.

Edit: I actually remember this commercial and the way it is pronounced would be more accurately described as the sound a Spring makes when released.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  12. kaspergm

kaspergm Chieftain

Duuk likes this.
  13. Victoria

Ah no, I found it in the original PM
    “So if a Wonder is "Duanged" (Chinese players use "Duang" for losing Wonder competition because of the viral sound effect in Civ 5), the overall finished production to the Wonder will discount 50% and counted as leftover production to whatever is on the current production queue. ”

14. Kyro

Kyro Chieftain

Oh dear I guess I'm not chinese enough then. I have brought dishonor to my ancestors...kidding.

That may be true but I still suspect it is a play on the word that went viral on Weibo. We do not have a character that sounds like that after all.

15. Jackanape

Jackanape Chieftain

Thank you, @Victoria, for clearing that up for me! As a longtime lurker, only just beginning a more active participation level, I don't quite have the rhythm of things yet, so I worry sometimes! Cheers!

16. gozon

gozon Chieftain

Speaking as a Chinese native... Duang is a meme from Jackie Chan’s viral shampoo commercial that is used to imitate sound effects. It is so viral that it is used to represent sounds that don’t actually sound like it. So if someone beats you to a wonder we say you get “Duanged”. As for monkey, some use it to refer to the scout, for the two words sound similar in Chinese.

17. Sagax

Sagax Chieftain

Pretty much this. And pls don't..............Civ fanbase is not ready for Chinese memes yet...

gozon likes this.
  18. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Chieftain

Scouts also have a similar strength as monkeys.:crazyeye::crazyeye::crazyeye:

19. TomKQT

TomKQT Chieftain

Are you sure? It could either be what you are saying, or it could have been an intention, just badly implemented (quite common in Civ6...).
    I mean - people were always complaining about not getting anything back when you lose a wonder race, it simply didn't make sense - especially considering that Civ5 gave you at least some gold. So it sounds logical that the developers would give you 50% of the production back that you could use on something else. They just didn't notice that it actually didn't work, because the game mechanics don't allow this (unless you are building something else - which you cannot).

Duuk likes this.
  20. Victoria

Of course not. That’s why I said “I think” but that is based on some overflow problems at the start.
    It does seem odd the way it works but then there are plenty of other stranger things.