1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Wonder 50% return

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Victoria, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Uberfrog

Uberfrog Warlord

This is interesting.

The fact that you get nothing in compensation for a failed wonder bid has been discussed a lot here ever since the game came out. Does this suggest that Firaxis intended you to get 50% of your production back, and just botched the implementation?

2. TomKQT

TomKQT Chieftain

You began with "No, it's not meant to be" and only then you included "I think" when you were starting to talk about possible reasons, so it confused me ;)

3. nzcamel

nzcamel Nahtanoj the Magnificent

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm pretty sure this isn't correct @Victoria when I have tested it. I think you do get a discount on the next item you select.
    Been a while, so I could be wrong...

4. rjg85

rjg85 Chieftain

You can definitely chop forests etc. when nothing is being produced in the city and then have that production subtracted from the next item you produce - I use that all the time for districts. But all that is still within the same turn I guess, whereas getting beaten to a wonder happens at turns end.

nzcamel likes this.
  5. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Chieftain

I always felt like when you lose a wonder race, the uncompleted wonder should stay in the tile into you go there and "chop" it with a builder, getting a percentage of your production back.

Duuk, nzcamel and Gagilence like this.
  6. Hajee

Hajee Chieftain

In early game play promos before release that was a thing.

In fact the in the code this does exist, under the hood the builder can collect a unbuilt wonder. However I have not found away to active it in a mod.

WillowBrook likes this.
  7. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I suspect they intended to implement this but never got it working correctly and gave up. A 50% salvage return seems quite reasonable.

I'm pretty sure that every version of Civ before VI has included some sort of compensation for a failed wonder (except maybe Civ I?); I was surprised to get nothing in VI.

8. Kyro

Kyro Chieftain

Ahhh....as I suspected. I was wondering how a spring sound would come to represent a beaten Wonder. I didn't know that commercial had such an impact.

9. leandrombraz

leandrombraz Chieftain

I guess they didn't want players to be confused by the unfinished wonder in the map. If it just vanish, it's more clear to the player that he lost that wonder. They could add a special "lol, you lost" version of the unfinished wonder, making it look more like a pile of fancy rubble than an unfinished construction.

It's also likely that losing the 50% production if you don't have something else queued is an unintended behavior that came from this change.

10. Hajee

Hajee Chieftain

Maybe, but in the LOC it says that "This World Wonder has been constructed by another civilization, so we cannot complete it. But we can reclaim its raw materials", The game does make know you lost the wonder race, if it left a half broken wonder sitting there

I don't know the reason why they disable it.

If any one knows how to gave a unit a Command it should be possible then to add this mechanic in to the game.

11. DWilson

DWilson Where am I? What turn is it?

Oddly enough, I have a distinct memory of reclaiming materials from an unfinished wonder, near release time. Maybe that was a dream....

12. FurionHuang

FurionHuang Chieftain

Monkey is Scout (from ICON in Civ5 (just realized it was actually an Eagle... The word Scout in Chinese sounds like some kind of monkey that should be why), FYI)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  13. FurionHuang

FurionHuang Chieftain

Oh it's not an original Chinese word but using the Chinese "pinyin" (phonetic transcriptions of Chinese characters) to spell something sounds like that. and @Kyro is 100% right about where it came from: the Jackie Chen Shampoo Commercial:lol:.

liv and Victoria like this.
  14. FurionHuang

FurionHuang Chieftain

By the way, that shampoo makes your hair dry like straw... If you ever see it still available, DON'T buy it.