Wonder 50% return

This is interesting.

The fact that you get nothing in compensation for a failed wonder bid has been discussed a lot here ever since the game came out. Does this suggest that Firaxis intended you to get 50% of your production back, and just botched the implementation?

Of course not. That’s why I said “I think” but that is based on some overflow problems at the start.
It does seem odd the way it works but then there are plenty of other stranger things.
You began with "No, it's not meant to be" and only then you included "I think" when you were starting to talk about possible reasons, so it confused me ;)

A city will normally be building something and if it gets additional production from another source (like chopping) the current item being built will get this production. If it finishes any additional overflow can be added to the next item.

If additional production comes from another source when nothing is in the queue then that production is not kept for the next item.

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm pretty sure this isn't correct @Victoria when I have tested it. I think you do get a discount on the next item you select.
Been a while, so I could be wrong...

I know I'm late to the party, but I'm pretty sure this isn't correct @Victoria when I have tested it. I think you do get a discount on the next item you select.
Been a while, so I could be wrong...

You can definitely chop forests etc. when nothing is being produced in the city and then have that production subtracted from the next item you produce - I use that all the time for districts. But all that is still within the same turn I guess, whereas getting beaten to a wonder happens at turns end.

I always felt like when you lose a wonder race, the uncompleted wonder should stay in the tile into you go there and "chop" it with a builder, getting a percentage of your production back.

I always felt like when you lose a wonder race, the uncompleted wonder should stay in the tile into you go there and "chop" it with a builder, getting a percentage of your production back.

In early game play promos before release that was a thing.

In fact the in the code this does exist, under the hood the builder can collect a unbuilt wonder. However I have not found away to active it in a mod.

I suspect they intended to implement this but never got it working correctly and gave up. A 50% salvage return seems quite reasonable.

I'm pretty sure that every version of Civ before VI has included some sort of compensation for a failed wonder (except maybe Civ I?); I was surprised to get nothing in VI.

Speaking as a Chinese native... Duang is a meme from Jackie Chan’s viral shampoo commercial that is used to imitate sound effects. It is so viral that it is used to represent sounds that don’t actually sound like it. So if someone beats you to a wonder we say you get “Duanged”. As for monkey, some use it to refer to the scout, for the two words sound similar in Chinese.

Ahhh....as I suspected. I was wondering how a spring sound would come to represent a beaten Wonder. I didn't know that commercial had such an impact.

In early game play promos before release that was a thing.

In fact the in the code this does exist, under the hood the builder can collect a unbuilt wonder. However I have not found away to active it in a mod.

I guess they didn't want players to be confused by the unfinished wonder in the map. If it just vanish, it's more clear to the player that he lost that wonder. They could add a special "lol, you lost" version of the unfinished wonder, making it look more like a pile of fancy rubble than an unfinished construction.

It's also likely that losing the 50% production if you don't have something else queued is an unintended behavior that came from this change.

I guess they didn't want players to be confused by the unfinished wonder in the map. If it just vanish, it's more clear to the player that he lost that wonder. They could add a special "lol, you lost" version of the unfinished wonder, making it look more like a pile of fancy rubble than an unfinished construction.

It's also likely that losing the 50% production if you don't have something else queued is an unintended behavior that came from this change.

Maybe, but in the LOC it says that "This World Wonder has been constructed by another civilization, so we cannot complete it. But we can reclaim its raw materials", The game does make know you lost the wonder race, if it left a half broken wonder sitting there

I don't know the reason why they disable it.

If any one knows how to gave a unit a Command it should be possible then to add this mechanic in to the game.

Oddly enough, I have a distinct memory of reclaiming materials from an unfinished wonder, near release time. Maybe that was a dream....

I am Chinese and I can do some translation. I have no idea what the monkey (猴子 Hóuzi) refers to, I think it's a player in-game name and what Duang is though.

Translation:
To list a simple example, suppose we hammered 400 production into a Wonder, then cut into a Monkey, at the end of the turn* (Duang???), in an instant, Monkey receives a 200 production overflow and even retained 170 production. Actually, on the turn when you saw that everything else seemed very cheap to produce, you were looking at it with an excess of 170 production. This excess production was then removed because the city lacked any target for production for that turn the overflow existed.

What I think it means:
A player missed a 400 production wonder and 200 production was retained. 30 of that 200 production was used to build something which is why the production seemed cheap since it was using the overflow of 200 production. However, even though there was an excess of 170 production leftover, the game completely removed the access production at the end of the turn and reverted it back to the city's turn-based output because there was no target being produced for that turn and cities cannot be idle in Civ 6.
Monkey is Scout (from ICON in Civ5 (just realized it was actually an Eagle... The word Scout in Chinese sounds like some kind of monkey that should be why), FYI)

Last edited:
Non no, it’s my fault for using those words. They were intended to everyone (including myself) who does not read all those central Brown signs that come up when diplomatic visibility improves. I know they help my game but I just cannot be bothered despite them reducing quantity.
I should have been clearer in my reply, apologies @Jackanape
I am unaware of a ‘near ending’notification. There is a beginning and an ended.

@FurionHuang , @Rogue-star or @Wandering_Dandelion would one of you be so kind and reply to this?
Oh it's not an original Chinese word but using the Chinese "pinyin" (phonetic transcriptions of Chinese characters) to spell something sounds like that. and @Kyro is 100% right about where it came from: the Jackie Chen Shampoo Commercial:lol:.

Oh it's not an original Chinese word but using the Chinese "pinyin" (phonetic transcriptions of Chinese characters) to spell something sounds like that. and @Kyro is 100% right about where it came from: the Jackie Chen Shampoo Commercial:lol:.
By the way, that shampoo makes your hair dry like straw... If you ever see it still available, DON'T buy it.

Top Bottom