Wonder Graphics: Insula

Kenta'arka

King
Rome was the capital of nearly the whole known world in ancient times, but it got no great wonder? I'm gonna change that ;) Here it is, the Insula!

Insula were the roman tenement houses. Just found in Rome and Ostia (Rome's ancient harbor) these buildings made it possible for Rome to be the biggest city in ancient world with around 1 million inhabitants.

As stats I suggest:
- Great Wonder
- Requires Construction
- Allows City size 3 (like hospital)
- eliminates citizen's pollution
- Expire with Electricity

Again no splash, found no good looking pic yet...sorry for that

File:

Attachments

• insula.zip
    15.3 KB · Views: 257
Another (better?) idea for a "Roman" wonder would be the Aqua Claudia (I think that was its name) - the huge aqueduct which provided water for Pompeii and surrounding towns. Puts an Aqueduct in every city (OK not every city needs one, but...)

Great addition. I agree with Oz on the city pop limit raising thingie :)

Originally posted by Tweedledum
Another (better?) idea for a "Roman" wonder would be the Aqua Claudia (I think that was its name) - the huge aqueduct which provided water for Pompeii and surrounding towns. Puts an Aqueduct in every city (OK not every city needs one, but...)

Hmm, maybe, but I think the Insulae are more worth to be a wonder, because they were something very special, and were not found anywhere alse than Rome and Ostia.

Originally posted by Gogf
What if the city it's in is sive 13 when it expires?

Hmm, unfortunately I had no time to test that, but I think the city just would stop growing until you build a hospital

Would it be possible to give it a second graphic with a Flat Topped Roof to represent Tenement Buildings in the 19th century to make it era-specific?

Originally posted by Ossric
eliminates pollution? Rome was a very dirty city

Eliminates pollution from citizens, thats just because you usually don't have 13+ size cities in ancient times. if the citizens start creating pollution at that time it would make too big changes in gameplay, as you would need time to clean pollution you could normally use to build roads, irrigation or mines...

Originally posted by Warlord 101
Would it be possible to give it a second graphic with a Flat Topped Roof to represent Tenement Buildings in the 19th century to make it era-specific?

giving it a flat topped roof wouldn't be that a big problem, but I think 19th century houses didn't looked similar to this, I guess they were completely made from bricks, not from wood in the upper floors...So it would need a whole new building for industrial era (and maybe medieval too)

Originally posted by Kenta'arka

Hmm, maybe, but I think the Insulae are more worth to be a wonder, because they were something very special, and were not found anywhere alse than Rome and Ostia.

Actually, I think they're both good ideas. Now if only I had any graphics skills, I could just modify the standard aqueduct graphic...

giving it a flat topped roof wouldn't be that a big problem, but I think 19th century houses didn't looked similar to this, I guess they were completely made from bricks, not from wood in the upper floors...So it would need a whole new building for industrial era (and maybe medieval too)

Some were wooden, I think, but many were brick and stone buildings. And had a privy outside.
So all that I guess would be necassary is that the building be made of only stone/brick and have a flat roof. Finally, they should only be 5 storeys tall and have windows closer together to represent the size of rooms.

Why 5 storeys? Before the Elevator, they didn't think people would want to walk up more then five floors.

Some were wooden, I think, but many were brick and stone buildings. And had a privy outside.
So all that I guess would be necassary is that the building be made of only stone/brick and have a flat roof. Finally, they should only be 5 storeys tall and have windows closer together to represent the size of rooms.

Why 5 storeys? Before the Elevator, they didn't think people would want to walk up more then five floors.

5 floors? exactly like the one I made

Originally posted by Tweedledum

Actually, I think they're both good ideas. Now if only I had any graphics skills, I could just modify the standard aqueduct graphic...

if you can find me some good pics, I think i could create something ;)

Rufus the splashmaster... We are waiting for you! :)

Originally posted by Rufus T.Firefly
Another improvement for increase population maybe the Cloaca maxima, the sewer system in Rome. It maybe also a wonder (only Rome had an efficient sewer system)

In my mod I do have the Cloaca Maxima as a wonder, allowing the city that builds it to grow into a metropolis before sewer systems are available. Works great.

5 floors? exactly like the one I made

Yes. But with the whole building constructed of Stone and/or brick with a flat roof and perhaps a Privvy outside.

Yes. But with the whole building constructed of Stone and/or brick with a flat roof and perhaps a Privvy outside.

Sorry, but what is a privvy?

Top Bottom