Wonder priorities

kf97mopa

Chieftain
I recently had an interesting situation in a game. I was the Persians (Monarch) on a somewhat odd Continent map: 3 big continents + 2 largish islands, me and the Americans on the smallest continent. My Immortals made short work of the Americans, so I'm alone there now. I have the Colossus, Sistine Chapel, and Copernicus Observatory in three different cities. Now, Newton's University is coming up, and I plan to build it in the city where the Colossus is, so I start Palace there. I'm simultaneously building Smith's Trading Co. in my capital (where Sistine's is). Only other Wonder around to build is Shakespeare's.

The thing is, it takes forever to get to Gravity, so by the time I get there I have enough shields in my Colossus city to get Smith's first (like 2 turns left or something). Should I take Smith's and try for Newton's in my capital (and risk not getting Newton's at all), or stick to the plan (and most likely not getting Smith's at all, but getting the Colossus/Newton's combo)?

Consider the benefits of either:

Newton's in your Colossus city, which I'm assuming is size 12. Assuming it's generating as much as 50 commerce (which would be a lot) then Newton's, at 100% science, will give you 50 extra beakers. Proportionally lower at lower levels.

Adam Smith's will give you free harbours, marketplaces, banks, stock exchanges (PTW) and airports. You're on a continet, so I'm guessing you have a quite a few harbours. And you do have marketplaces in every city, I hope? :) Assuming you have a decent sized empire - after all you've taken over another civ already - I'd guess you have at least 20 cities, of which 10 are coastal. Assuming market places in 20 and harbours in 10, that means Adam Smith will save you 30gpt in maintenance - minimum - whereas Newton will give you 50gpt science, maximum. Personally, that's a no-brainer - Adam Smith every time for a large empire. Once you add in banks etc, it's clearly the better option.

Personally I would watch the AI very, very carefully. After all, until one of your cities gets to the point of enough shields for Adam Smith, you can prevaricate. It might even be worth spending some $$$ on city investigation if a largish city is building one of the wonders - then you can try to estimate how much leeway there is to finesse the race.

Your assumptions are correct, in all, though the Americans weren't all that large when I grabbed them. I spent some cash taking a peek at the competition. Didn't consider the free Harbors from Smith's, I have a number of those...

It turned out that though several had Gravity, they were all building Smith's, but if I was to finish Smith's they'd flip to Newton/Shakespeare and get that in one turn. I'm thinking... how about I continue to build a Palace for a while, even though that will waste shields, and see if I can get to Newton's level in my Capital before I switch the Palace to Smiths, that way maybe getting both (though not the Colossus/Newton combo). I think I'll save there and try it both ways to see what I'll get.

Top Bottom