Wonder timing guidelines

ifinnem

Keep it interesting
Been messing around with some of the older gauntlets and wanted some input from Warlord-Prince players regarding key wonder timing - ie latest you can safely build them

Standard Speed and Quick Speed
GL
Oracle
HS
HG
Chi Itza

Main reason for asking was I had the GL go on T41 Warlord Quick and I was a little shocked!

Well, can't tell for Quick, since I play Standard mostly, but up to King and often Emperor the following lines work very well for me:

GL Turn ~45-50
Oracle Turn ~100-110 (don't know why this late but although I often do not prefer this wonder I can fill it in and still get it)
Hagia Turn ~100-120
Pyramids Turn ~70
HG Turn ~80-90

That are the times I can finish them easily without being "stolen" by the AI.

I mostly start this way: monument, scout, warrior, GL, Pyr, HG, Settler, HS, CI, another wonder from liberty/NC ... works quite well up to emperor.
In this time I mostly buy the standard buildings for my capital (water mill, grainery, ...).

Hope this helps a bit, since it should easily work for warlord an prince.

I don't know... on Warlord/Prince AIs don't seem to build wonders at all in a timeframe where you have to worry them to get it before you, except:
Great Lighthouse, the Colossus, Chichen Itza, the Great Wall and the Pyramids (sometimes Ankor Wat).
edi) oh... and Forbidden Palace! (though I ignore it for too long, as at the time when you can build it the effect is not so great - it gets better though later when you are larger).
In nearly all my games exactly these wonders are gotten by the AI (Chichen Itza is the only one that kinda hurts not getting myself).

I had the GL go on T41 standard Prince again last nite - so much for bulbing education with it!

Thats really weird, GL on prince on 41?! Thats incredibly fast, I rarely have emperor games were the GL is gone before T50 (although 50 is very late and risky on emperor).
Must be very bad luck for you so ;)

But despite your bad luck it should be no real challenge to get 9 out of 10 of the first wonders on Prince, especially if your 2nd city is well placed and can take 1 or 2.

I had the GL go on T41 standard Prince again last nite - so much for bulbing education with it!

I loaded the game to make sure - turns out the level was actually mistakenly set to my usual Immortal so that at least explains this one altho not the T41 warlord quick!

Top Bottom