Wonders in Civ V: Modern and Future

What modern/future wonders would you like to see in Civ 5?

• Bauhaus

Votes: 15 14.9%
  • Empire State Building

Votes: 42 41.6%
  • Hoover Dam

Votes: 52 51.5%
  • Pentagon

Votes: 66 65.3%
  • Manhattan Project

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • United Nations

Votes: 83 82.2%
  • Rock N Roll

Votes: 36 35.6%
  • Delta & Zuiderzee Works

Votes: 13 12.9%
  • SETI Program

Votes: 50 49.5%
  • Apollo Program

Votes: 77 76.2%
  • CERN

Votes: 49 48.5%
  • World Bank

Votes: 34 33.7%
  • World Trade Center

Votes: 36 35.6%
  • Sydney Opera House

Votes: 50 49.5%
  • Itaipu Dam

Votes: 12 11.9%
  • Internet

Votes: 70 69.3%
  • Channel Tunnel

Votes: 38 37.6%
  • Palm Islands

Votes: 17 16.8%
  • International Space Station

Votes: 63 62.4%
  • Three Gorges Dam

Votes: 58 57.4%
  • Burj Dubai

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • Cure For Cancer

Votes: 42 41.6%
  • Longevity

Votes: 19 18.8%
  • Space Elevator

Votes: 62 61.4%
  • Other, please describe

Votes: 15 14.9%

• Total voters
What about Tchernobyl, Windfire-Scale or Three Miles Island ?

What about Malpasset Dam, Serre-Ponçon Dam

What about Quartier de la Défense, Promenade des Anglais or La Croisette...

What about Video-Games Company which produce three "video game" ressource ?

:goodjob:

What about "positive wonders", "neutral wonders" and "negative wonders" :goodjob:

But there has to be some sort of incentive to build wonders. What would that incentive be for Chernobyl, for instance?

But there has to be some sort of incentive to build wonders. What would that incentive be for Chernobyl, for instance?

Eng : Low Cost Wonder with more production with more risk of Melt Down...
Fra : Merveille pas chère avec plus de production avec plus de risque d'explosion...

Eng : Because Russians are the best for tech with less of money :goodjob:
Fra : Parce que les Russes sont les meilleurs pour faire de la technologie avec peu de moyens...

Eng :Think to Russian Surgery, these surgeons can even operate the brain with an cycle's pump.
Fra : Pensez à la Chirurgie Russe, leurs chirurgiens peuvent même opérer le cerveau avec une pompe à vélo.

Brief a category of wonders to build at your own risks !
Bref une catégorie de merveilles à construire à vos risques et périls !

What do you think of that ?
Que pensez-vous de cela ?

;)

Is that Bauhaus the school of architecture or Bauhaus the band ?

Bauhaus was THEE premier design school in the world before the Nazi's shut it down. Contributed greatly to graphic design and architecture.

Eng : Low Cost Wonder with more production with more risk of Melt Down...
Fra : Merveille pas chère avec plus de production avec plus de risque d'explosion...

Eng : Because Russians are the best for tech with less of money :goodjob:
Fra : Parce que les Russes sont les meilleurs pour faire de la technologie avec peu de moyens...

Eng :Think to Russian Surgery, these surgeons can even operate the brain with an cycle's pump.
Fra : Pensez à la Chirurgie Russe, leurs chirurgiens peuvent même opérer le cerveau avec une pompe à vélo.

Brief a category of wonders to build at your own risks !
Bref une catégorie de merveilles à construire à vos risques et périls !

What do you think of that ?
Que pensez-vous de cela ?

;)

Well I would've assumed that wonders in the game would have the same effects as their real life namesakes. So a Chernobyl wonder would definitely lead to disaster, rather than just having a chance to.

Well I would've assumed that wonders in the game would have the same effects as their real life namesakes. So a Chernobyl wonder would definitely lead to disaster, rather than just having a chance to.

But it would be a chance that Chernobyl doesn't make a disaster...

If not you can replace chances of Meltdown by more pollution with a chance each X turns to have a fallout on nearby tiles... What do you think of that ? :goodjob:

I just don't see the feasibility of having wonders with negative effects. It doesn't fit into the conventional structure of wonders in the game, and there'd not really be a reason to build them. Now, if you are going to call it Chernobyl, then you have to make it a disaster, to reflect the real Chernobyl. If you want a wonder that has a chance of having negative effects, then call it something else. Calling it Chernobyl is misleading. But again, it wouldn't seem to be all that good to build.

Doesn't anyone think that the World Trade Center would be a little, ahem, debatable?

Well, they still were great buildings..............when they were around. But they still should be there. It's not like they didn't exsist. And what about the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur, or The World in Dubai? I know we already have a few Dubai wonders, but The World is just plain cool!

What's the obsession with towers and dams?

Wonders should be really epic advances or works of engineering for their time. Dams and towers are easy now. Things like a Space Elevator are great, but things like the Petronas Towers or the Burj Dubai are just boring. Oooh, another tall building!

Three Gorges Dam was quite challenging--it tames the strongest river at its strongest stretch, & HAD to juggle (& briefly interrupt) riverbound traffic never interrupted during the previous 5,000 years. It is also located at a geologically risky area (2008-9? Sichuan earthquake, anyone?) & has gigantic implications for economical development of the region (better river traffic, water & electricity for MANY people--Beijing already got much of its waters from TGD by the time of the Olympic Games), displacement of many people & flooding rich archaeological sites... That sounds like a good wonder to me.

But, regarding truly epic wonders for the modern & future era are rather hard; as they'd need to be structures that require new & complicated game mechanics (i.e. major underwater train tunnels); scientific projects or related to them (Large Hadron Collider), or they have to be buildings not usually associated to the traditional wonder concept (say, any of the huge malls in use or construction by now).

I do have a wonder suggestion I'd like to add (which does fit in the more traditional concept but is still a modern wonder)--give me a moment to get the info...

+1 for the Large Hadron Collider.

The "project" wonders that abound in the modern age have always felt a little wrong to me. The Manhattan Project, the Cure for Cancer, the Internet: it's like the game is taking a concept that it already has a robust system to model - scientific research - and all of a sudden throwing that system out the window and saying, "You know what, you're researching this with hammers instead". Nuclear weapons, curing cancer, and the Internet should be technologies, plain and simple.

I think the Apollo Program is okay, though, because it of the sheer amount of engineering effort that went into it and because that effort was localized. For god's sake, though, it has to be a great wonder - it's probably the closest thing real-life history has to a wonder race!

So this game is going to have a "future" era with cloaking type technologies or is kind of like late 20th century?

Cloaking technologies? Yes, please. Let's make the Future Era actually futuristic instead of just getting the same tech over and over.

Phasers--*ahem*--I mean, lasers, underwater cities, starships . . . why, if we just get Stardock and Firaxis to work together, we'll have a great combination of GalCivII and the Civilizations series.

-LHC (Large Hadron Collider): Here I include a description of what I think it this world wonder would do. It would be a late-modern to early-future era wonder. This is what it makes: ALL labs of the possessing civ will research another 25% faster, the city with the wonder will gain 2 free engineers & 2 free scientists. It'll also provide a +4 :culture: bonus (for all the superstition it arose among ignorant & fatalist people due to its inauguration). Its prerequisite techs would be fusion, composites & superconductors; & its production cost would be the same of the Three Gorges Dam (1750 :hammers: on Normal speed). Having it would be a nice add-up to a GP farm, as well as a nice research boost in the late era, a boost especially useful in games with a good amount of futuristic techs (i.e. Next War mod). It will provide +2 :gp: for Great Scientist.

How about it also gets a small chance that the whole world can get sucked into a black hole, that's something I'd like to see

Top Bottom