Wonders

Himalia

Overlord of Eternity.
In games you play do you lean towards certain wonders are ther one that make you think why bother maybe if there snothing else to do ill have it i guess. Myself i alway build the great librarey. Not because i like what it does, i have only ever got one skill form it ever and that was Sailing. Its to stop the AI getting anything from it. This seems to apply to many of the wonders, the Oracl springs to mind it not a case of i want it, its i dont want the AI to have it. The Colousses (spelling ?) and the Pyramids are must haves to me tho but i would still take the Great library over them just to spite the AI or more importantly another human player. How do any of you feel about wonders.

Himalia said:
How do any of you feel about wonders.
Don't build any. I rush one with SGL, but almost never build a wonder. On higher levels, this is mostly because I can't, not because I wouldn't want to.

I agree with Pentium. AA-wonders are to be conquered only, the first wonder I´ll go for myself is Theory of Evolution (and then Hoover if successful).
If I had the opportunity to pick a MA-wonder I´d probably choose Sistine or Bach (I always have to build cathedrals, can´t help it).

I suppose im abit of a wonder freak. I like having them they say its a very poor tactic but its seems to pay off for me. But i well agree the Hoover Damn and Theory of evolution ar great wonders indeed. I like Hydro and Solar plants and this help no end. I realise that Nuclear Power is better for production but i jsut got sick to death of th meltdown. I realise its not that likely but when it happens like 5 or 6 times in one game and then happens in other you get sick of it. Im also puzzled sometimes to the logic of why certain wonders stop working. For example once you get Eductaion the great Library serves no purpose other than culture. Im trying to get this round my head. Sir we have discovred the concept of education. They explain what it can lead to and what new building we can produce. O and one more thing we are shutting the great Library down. Same with Colossues. Sir we have discovered flight the Colossues is obsolete. O ok i reply and why is that ? They certainly become a bit more valuable this way.

except in variants where building a certain wonder is sometimes something to think about, you best don't build any wonders at all early in the game. They are not worth the investment and capturing them is cheaper anyways.

of course, there is a difference in the value of the wonders. I'll take a most important few of them.

The pyramids is the strongest wonder in the game. It is however not good to try and build it this early because there is loads of AI competition for it and you need to build it during the early part of your expansion phase. In this time, you cannot afford such an investment. This wonder is however a number one priority to capture.

Hoover Dam is imo the second priority. At this point in the game, you can build wonders. Pre build on the hoover dam and get it asap. If you have this and factories in your major cities, the game is over.

The great lighthouse is very strong on archipellago maps. On lower difficulties building it can often help you win the game faster. On higher difficulties, the investment becomes a heavier burden and the reward becomes less important.

Leo's workshop is very strong for a warmongerer, zero research play style. My playstyle that is. I do not have the priority on it to actually build it though. After the pyramids, it is often the second priority for capture.

The happiness wonders are a mere small bonus. Better go capture luxury resources. ToA is an exception to this as it will provide you culture in all your cities and thus widen your borders. Another nice one to capture, certainly for an early domination victory.

The great library is a redundant wonder. If you can trade well, you don't need it. If the difficulty level is too high to stay in trade, you can't build it. in AW games it becomes an important option.

Do not build wonders because i don't want the AI to have them. Just capture them from them.

I like to get the Colouses because if you start with bronze working as a tech then you get a chance to build it pretty quick and the GL in the UN the great lighthouse is good if your playig an arcepelligo map so is megillans voigue>I always try for them if I@M playing that kind of map.

If that would be VC3/PtW, I'd 100% agree with no early wonders.
However, in C3C the tourism bonus is often overlooked. If the game will last longer than Knights, any ancient wonder will be a huge help.
Of course, prebuilding one is no valid concept here - you want a wonder in the capital, nowhere else (FP, ok; but, I prefer to build the FP where the AI has Wonders anyway ;) ).
So, your best chances are Colossus (on island maps, with a very shield-rich start), and MoM. And of course, SoZ (on the highest levels, you will build that one only if you hold the Ivory monoploy anyway).
For my style, that works well up to Deity. Expand like mad in the beginning, and at some point you need to grow the capital anyone - good time for the MoM.

But, I of course fully agree that building the more expensive wonders (400sp and more) is never worth it.

Twonky said:
the first wonder I´ll go for myself is Theory of Evolution (and then Hoover if successful).
Right, I forgot the those two. Also UN, but nothing more.

Pentium said:
Don't build any. I rush one with SGL, but almost never build a wonder. On higher levels, this is mostly because I can't, not because I wouldn't want to.
Pretty much the same for me. I bet if I tried, I could get MoM or Colossus, but I usually just forget because I'm so used to no Ancient/Medieval Wonders.

when i played on chieftain i used to get almost every single wonder (no joke)
but now i play on monarch (sometimes regent) and get maybe 3-4 wonders in the game. if i could get a wonder for every age id choose:

ANCIENT AGE statue of zeus (great for early warring),

MED_EVIL AGE leo's workshop (i love mass upgrgades),

INDUSTRIAL AGE (i think)darwin (love the two free techs),

MODERN AGE and the UN. (it may seem useless but if no one likes you and you have diplo victory on, its great to have the power NOT to hold elections)

Leo's, Hoover, ToE, and sometimes Sun Tzu.

Shujaa said:
I always try to build Sun Tzu as China...
I never go for Sun Tsu because my biggest weakness is building too many barracks, and I already have them in most of my cities by the time ST is available. Instead I go for Leo's and the cheap upgrades.

I also like ToE and Hoover's, and Smith's Trading post can give a huge economic boost if I can get it.

I usually try to get ToE, then with my free techs, get Atomic Theory and Electronics, and start building Hoover's

Let's see... my current game should serve as an example of what I build.

Emperor level, Dutch, 60% water continents map.

The Pyramids would've been built if I'd lucked out with an SGL - but I didn't. Ah well.

First off, I was going for the Great Lighthouse (with it, I could send Galleys safely to the other continent). I got beaten to it. However...

Ivory was on my continent, so I tried for SoZ - but it was too far away and I was beaten to the SoZ too, which luckily I was able to turn into a pre-build for the Hanging Gardens, rather than lose all those shields.

Next, an early Medieval wonder - Sun Tzu. Sometimes, you just get a hunch that a certain wonder is "right" for the map you're on. With this map, Sun Tzu was that wonder. Again, I was lucky, and got it. (Sistine would've been useless as I don't tend to build Cathedrals, Leo's would've been a nice consolation prize!)

Then a long, long time with no wonders (I captured: SoZ, ToA (and lost, and re-captured, and lost, and eventually razed), Great Library).

I was first to both Astronomy (Copernicus) and Theory of Gravity (Newton's). The AI must've been a bit off their game, because I also built Shakespeare's (but not in my capital).

Right now the Shakespeare's city is building a Factory, then a Coal Plant, then Universal Suffrage in probably 9 turns. It will also build Hoover's, with my capital building ToE. I plan to win a UN vote. If Music Theory comes in, I'll build JS Bach's. If Navigation is researched, I won't be building Magellan's.

My capital right now is building a wonder everyone's ignored so far, that I find to be very, very, useful: Adam Smith's. Free Markets, Banks, Harbours, Stock Exchanges, Commercial Docks! Money money money....

First wonder I will try to build is Sun Tzu (Pyramid is Number One but can only be captured).
I like Sun Tzu to allow your units to heal quickly during war.
I don't line Great Wall but I can't stand having an AI building Great Wall in front of me.

Top Bottom