Workarounds and suggestions for making Civ III run well in 2023

Thank you! The mystery of what the point of that was, has bothered me pretty much since the gog version was released! Sorts out the pink text, that's all.

Yep, and makes sense too. GOG probably got tired of answering all those support threads complaining about pink text and trying to explain how to disable ClearType each and every time you launch the game. In fact, it's such a obvious solution, it's a wonder 2K Games didn't include something similar when they shipped Conquests :shifty:

It's weird, I did note that I had to enable XP compatibility mode on first run (this was on Windows 11 as well), but found after that I could switch it off again and it was fine. Good point re not installing in program files, I'll add that in.
I noticed that disabling XP compatibility after first run also dramatically improved the frame rate of the game. While keeping it on, the game felt VERY sluggish. And turning it off the game now feels like it did 20 years ago.

Even with KeepRes=1 and PlayIntro=0, Civ III doesn't work on my UHD / Multi monitor setup, anything else I can try?
Unfortunately Civ III does not cope well with particularly large monitors. KeepRes appears to have an upper resolution limit (and the text does not rescale and will get smaller and smaller). The suggested workarounds here are not perfect and will be very much dependent on your particular setup.

-Check your high DPI scaling settings as per the black screen section above.
-Drop your desktop resolution before you play and continue to use KeepRes=1 (not ideal because it will mess up your desktop and is tedious to change every time)
-Play windowed using Video Mode in conquests.ini and experiment with sizes to get the best fit.
I've had great luck getting Civ III to run in full widescreen AND preserving the aspect ratio (i.e. not distorting it), while still being to able read the text comfortably and see all the details on the map, etc. My conquests.ini file settings are:
PlayIntro=0
KeepRes=1
(NOT using Video Mode at all)

And then I found this little applet called Reso that dynamically changes your screen resolution before running any program and then changes it back after exiting said program. It allows command line options so you can essentially run it as a shortcut. For example, I run Civ III at 1280x800 and this is the shortcut I use: C:\reso.exe "C:\GOG Games\Civilization III Complete\Civ3Launcher.exe" 1280 800 32 60 -- (32 is the bit depth and 60 is the frame rate)

Nice to get a second opinion on that, I added that in based on personal experience without much to back it up. O think it needs xp mode for some initial registry stuff but after that it runs better without it. At least that's my current working theory anyway

And then I found this little applet called Reso that dynamically changes your screen resolution before running any program and then changes it back after exiting said program. It allows command line options so you can essentially run it as a shortcut. For example, I run Civ III at 1280x800 and this is the shortcut I use: C:\reso.exe "C:\GOG Games\Civilization III Complete\Civ3Launcher.exe" 1280 800 32 60 -- (32 is the bit depth and 60 is the frame rate)
Oooh I'll have to try that on some other games.

It's been a loooooooong time since I played Civ 3 but I've been wanting to go back and play through the anthology of all Civ games (or at least all of the ones I have there seems to be no way to get Civ 1 and 2). I was doing technical testing and Civ 3 runs fine on modern hardware but the UI is way too small at 4K I was curious if there is a mod somewhere to scale the UI?
Old post, but Civ1 is definitely available and I played the hell out of it around Thanksgiving through DOSBox. I think I downloaded it through MyAbandonware. You can play it online as well but I don't recommend. There is no ability to save, etc.

Top Bottom