Worker function - permanently remove bonus resource?

LukaSlovenia29

Emperor
Hi!

I was wondering if there's been any discussion on whether to allow workers to permanently remove a bonus resource (cattle, sheep, deer, stone,...)? The function might be created to be sufficiently cost-prohibitive (like 30 turns or so), but I'm struggling to see the benefit (gameplay-wise, realism-wise,...) for not being able at all to permanently remove a bonus resource, so I could use the "empty" tile for a village, farm, unique improvement, ... Thnx!

I think the larger issue is not that you should be able to remove the resource, but that you should be allowed to put the improvement you want on the tile to start with. A better penalty would be that a tile with the "wrong" improvement for it's resource loses it's base bonus yield (i.e. mining a sheep would cause it to lose the +1 food). I assume if that were easy to do, it probably would have been done already though.

I agree with your sentiment though, as I never improve bananas EVER because losing the jungle makes the tile so much worse, and if I happen to have mined a sheep tile before it became visible, I never ever build the pasture there because the mine is simply so much better (like +3-5 hammers vs +1 hammer +1 food, depending on tech levels).

What isn't mentioned above and is probably the most important potential thing is farming clusters. If you were able to remove stone or cattle the potentail adjacency bonus gains are huge.
You can try putting great person improvements on bonus resources if you don't want the bonus from the standard improvement

That is a good point about farms, but I would say those are already much more limited by the map type (number of nonfresh hills/tundra/desert, mountains, water tiles) than by nonwheat resources: i.e. playing wet old pangaea vs dry young archi already produces a much larger difference in farmability of land than resource blocking does.

I think the fact that bonus resources sometimes spoil adjacencies is somewhat the point. It makes those adajcent rarer and therefore more valuable. Certain UI work the same way, they are very strong but can't always be used due to bonus resources.

That's what I was trying to say, the bonuses for farm adjacencies are huge, its okay for them to be disturbed.

However for UIs I think its a little bit different. It just feels wrong to get a "bonus" that is actually quite bad. For example I try to delay the wheel as maya in case banasas mess up my Kuna plan. And if they discover them after, its a buffed Kuna, but if I discover before its complete it means I get a much worse tile, and the issue is that its sort of gamey to get the Kuna on first. I wonder if there should be a bonus resource tuning thread, as currently a banana plantation is pretty bad compared to jungle + herbalist.

Top Bottom