Votes: 11 42.3%
  • Connect+develop outer cities first, then go back to core last

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Automate workers

Votes: 2 7.7%

• Total voters

Veteranewbie

Prince
What are your workers working strategy. And which one is the best?
1. Develop core cities first, then connect and develop outer cities
2. Connect all cities first then work from where the workers are
3. Connect all cities first, and secondly go back to develop core cities, then finally to other outer cities
4. Outer cities first, connect and develop them, then go back to core last.
5. Automate workers

Lol, I was kinda expecting that answer from a top player :cool:

Originally posted by Qitai
6. Everything at the same time. Just build enough workers ;)

Same here. That's why I always have a few towns building only workers in the beginning of the game...

I don't like building workers, one per town is my max in the beginning, if I have an Industrial Civ usually less. Prefer building settlers as long as there is some nice free space to grab. I do like getting workers with diplomacy or in a war.

Originally posted by Qitai
6. Everything at the same time. Just build enough workers ;)

I would agree on that, except for issue #5, the automation.

But how do u keep up with the upkeep of the workers? Also, what do u do when all of the tiles are developed?

Somehow, upkeep is never a concern to me. Was it a concern for you? When RR is done, join the workers back to the cities.

This early in the game a worker pays for his own upkeep virtually every time he roads a worked tile.

Unless there are a ton of barbs around, every one of my new cities builds a worker as its first project. Guys in the center cities improve tiles, guys in the outer cities work on trade roads.

Of course, if I'm the Maya, I don't build workers, I just enslave barbs.

Originally posted by Veteranewbie
What are your workers working strategy. And which one is the best?
1. Develop core cities first, then connect and develop outer cities
2. Connect all cities first then work from where the workers are
3. Connect all cities first, and secondly go back to develop core cities, then finally to other outer cities
4. Outer cities first, connect and develop them, then go back to core last.
5. Automate workers

None of these are any good. The general idea is to have your workers finish ANY task just when the tile is about to get used.

I'm the only one so far to vote for 2, "Connect all cities first then work from where workers are."

It irks me to waste time moving workers when they could be building improvements. As a self-imposed rule I rarely play Industrious. I feel comfortable at Regent and go to Monarch when I'm feeling up to falling behind and trying to claw myself back into the fight.

IMHO, using workers effectively helps me gain an advantage on the computer, and I need to maximize their effectiveness.

My first post. Thanks to all you guys with the great ideas!

:D

Build enough workers to improve core cities, connect luxury strategic and bonus resources as well as outer cities all in same times will definitly make you a winner at Diety.
Improving city does not mean improving all and every tile of the city but only tiles (the best) that are in use.

My approach is the following:

-First worker improves 6 tiles around my palace and my palace city grows to size 6 as I build a temple or military units.. etc.

-After I place my first city, I will build a warrior and then a worker from that city.

-Using that worker, I improve the surrounding city and try to connect with my capitol. I may have built a second worker out of my palace. I will try to get a granary working early and hopefully I have placed this city next to a food bonus and a river. This city will produce workers and settlers latter.

-My third city and beyond will build a warrior and then a worker. If a city is placed on a floodplain with 4 food bonuses or something ridiculous like that I will start off with a worker instead.

-Lastly my rule of thumb is if a city is working a tile that is unimproved, build a worker next.

Top Bottom