World Wonders Poll

What World Wonders would you like to see next in the game?

• Statue Of Zeus

Votes: 93 60.0%
  • Parthenon

Votes: 73 47.1%
  • Pergamon Altar

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Paradise of Daphne

Votes: 8 5.2%
  • Circus Maximus

Votes: 31 20.0%
  • Pantheon(Rome)

Votes: 40 25.8%
  • Temple of Jupiter Maximus

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Abu Simbel

Votes: 51 32.9%
  • Arg e Bam

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Solomon's Temple/Herod's Temple

Votes: 46 29.7%
  • Borobudur

Votes: 74 47.7%
  • Moai

Votes: 40 25.8%
  • Machu Picchu

Votes: 127 81.9%
  • Himeji Castle

Votes: 71 45.8%
  • Porcelain Tower

Votes: 71 45.8%
  • Great Mosque of Djenne

Votes: 69 44.5%
  • Tower of Piza

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • Notre Dame

Votes: 98 63.2%
  • Louvre

Votes: 78 50.3%
  • Brandenburg Gate

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Other(please specify in the comments)

Votes: 22 14.2%

• Total voters
Speaking of... the Hollywood sign would make a great wonder. Even if it is just a sign.
Don't we have enough dubious wonders? :rolleyes: I'd call the film industry more of a monstrosity than a wonder these days. :lol:

Don't we have enough dubious wonders? :rolleyes: I'd call the film industry more of a monstrosity than a wonder these days. :lol:
Bad culture is culture nonetheless. I wouldn't be surprised if certain wonders weren't designated as eyesores in their day. "A giant bronze statue over the harbor? Overcompensating much? Tsk, that's money that could be spent on more social programs!"

Modern wonders are obviously more subjective, since we can take feats of engineering for granted and recreate most wonders that ever existed, and probably in a much shorter time than they were originally constructed. The wonders of antiquity skate by on their place in history when any mammoth labor stood out.

As far as designating a site as a wonder, a la Broadway (or Disneyland or The Vegas Strip, etc.), we have stuff like Chichen Itza, Machu Picchu, and Angkor Wat designated as wonders that opens the door. I wouldn't say the Hollywood sign should be a wonder, but Hollywood itself could be. Then again, I would not disagree with someone who pointed out that America's film studio covers that unique and notable element of world history.

Personally, I think the most compelling cases for wonders now are based on Civ's mechanisms. For instance, a Vegas Strip wonder is compelling to me because it provides an argument for a late-game desert city, and could justifiably provide a significant surge in tourism for a culture victory (one that doesn't involve slots for great works of art). Plus, y'know....big neon cowboy.

Last edited:
Hoover Dam. :p I am biased because I live relatively close to it. But I suppose I'd settle for 3 Gorges. Hoover Dam is still impressive, they built that thing back before modern air conditioning. It isn't exactly pleasant down in the bottom of Black Canyon.

Mc'Donalds. It sort of is a modern wonder considering how they changed fast-food and food delivery/storage in general.

Two problems:

First, there's well more than one McDonald's in the world. Second, it's trademarked.

A third problem would be how to model the negative effects of fast food on your nation's health. Lol.

Mc'Donalds. It sort of is a modern wonder considering how they changed fast-food and food delivery/storage in general.

Came here to post exactly this.

World wonder: First McDonalds branch

Effect: Increased unrest among populations you are at war with, and +10% gold income for each Civ you have made peace with within the last 20 turns

Now, Mt/ Rushmore is tricky because it has the faces of specific people on it. Would the Civ version bear the same faces, or have faces of different people?

Would be weird having Teddy Roosevelt's face on there if you are playing as China. :lol: . Even more awkward if he's your rival.

Do people zoom enough on the wonders for that to matter? I think I always play on maximum zoom out.

As for the people clamouring for information era wonders, there's a big problem. Such wonders are basically useless, there's isn't enough time in the game for them to pay themselves back.

I miss the fountain of youth and el dorado from Civ V

I’d love to have a buildable Atlantis wonder unlocked by certain pantheon picks or something
I liked the ancient ruins from Civ Rev. Some were in the water, so it was another incentive to fast-track some ships.

Could certainly see a DLC with these mythical artifacts. But that's another thread.

I miss Zeus and Machu Picchu too, but I also wouldn't mind seeing the Louvre or Himeji Castle back - I felt like the lack of Japanese wonders in vanilla was a shame, but at least we are now getting Kotoku-in.

It would be nice if Scotland got a wonder at some point, since England has Oxford and Big Ben :p Admittedly I don't know what they could use - Edinburgh Castle? Though I guess that is "just" another medieval castle and the type of bonus you could give it would be defensive in some way, which would be generic enough that any famous castle would work. :think:

The Motherland Calls (Volovograd) - Early Atomic
This 90-meter statue just looks awesome. I think of this is like the Soviet equivalent of the Statue of Liberty, meant to inspire nationalistic pride.
Must be built on a hill next to a military academy. Nearby cities never suffer loyalty issues, and all combat units immediately gain 1 promotion.

Wasn't this one supposed to be in BNW, but got cut for some reason? Possibly just because it was low on the list of priorities and they ran out of time? IIRC there was some loading screen art of it in the final game that could have also been used as the background for the popup when you built it, and some leftover mentions in the game files?

I agree with most suggestions here, but I haven't seen a couple that I definitely want in.

The Nazca Lines first and foremost; could be an early culture or faith desert wonder.

Newgrange as another ancient wonder

The Bamiyan Buddhas as a mountain wonder

Naqsh-e Jahan Square could convert some faith into culture

Shalimar Gardens could give amenities

Just a thought. It might be interesting to look at this based on the Civics (and possibly the Tech) tree.

I still hate that the game forces you to start with Code of Laws. I wouldn't mind if there was an alternative first civic. Maybe it could provide you something other than policy cards, if you associate those with a code of laws (a first wonder? a setter?). Something to think about.

Anyway... currently only the Oracle and maybe the Colosseum are Ancient/Classical before Drama and Poetry.

• Foreign Trade allows Joint Wars. Would you put a Wonder there too?
  • Craftsmanship doesn't give anything except policies, but they're good policies. Plus you won't have the card for wonder building.
  • Military Tradition allows Flanking Bonuses. But you could also put a Wonder there to balance Mysticism and Oracle.
  • Drama and Poetry could use a Wonder, even if it doesn't help you get the boost.
  • Military Training parallels Theology, but doesn't have its own Wonder. It seems the religion-based civics get wonders, but not the military ones.
On the tech tree (Ancient and Classical):

• Currently you have Astrology, Irrigation, Archery, Masonry, Celestial Navigation, Shipbuilding, Mathematics, Construction, Iron Working
  • Ancient: Writing to parallel Irrigation (but you get a district); Bronze Working (provides a district); Wheel (provides a city center building)
  • Classical: Horseback Riding (good tech, but really fits here);
  • Post Classical, Stirrups, Machinery, Military Engineering
Going off this:

• Bronze Working - Statue of Zeus. This is what it was in Civ V. I'd hate to replicate the same wonder, but it has logic. You could also go with Military Tradition here, but I'm probably reaching here.
  • Drama and Poetry - Parthenon. Also what they had in Civ V, but it makes a lot of sense here.
  • Horseback Riding - Circus Maximus.
  • Military Training - Arg e Bam.
Any thoughts?

I agree with most suggestions here, but I haven't seen a couple that I definitely want in.

The Nazca Lines first and foremost; could be an early culture or faith desert wonder.

Newgrange as another ancient wonder

The Bamiyan Buddhas as a mountain wonder

Naqsh-e Jahan Square could convert some faith into culture

Shalimar Gardens could give amenities

Forget the Nazca Lines, if you want something truly magnificent, go for the Cerne Abbas Giant...

Attachments

• 7D98CA7E-8E79-4BFF-B4FA-2A9C34955530.jpeg
    7D98CA7E-8E79-4BFF-B4FA-2A9C34955530.jpeg
    34.8 KB · Views: 58
Top Bottom