1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

World Wonders Poll

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by The Fanatical, Jan 30, 2018.

?

What World Wonders would you like to see next in the game?

1. Statue Of Zeus

93 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Parthenon

73 vote(s)
    47.1%
  3. Pergamon Altar

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Paradise of Daphne

8 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Circus Maximus

31 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Pantheon(Rome)

40 vote(s)
    25.8%
  7. Temple of Jupiter Maximus

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. Abu Simbel

51 vote(s)
    32.9%
  9. Arg e Bam

15 vote(s)
    9.7%
  10. Solomon's Temple/Herod's Temple

46 vote(s)
    29.7%
  11. Borobudur

74 vote(s)
    47.7%
  12. Moai

40 vote(s)
    25.8%
  13. Machu Picchu

127 vote(s)
    81.9%
  14. Himeji Castle

71 vote(s)
    45.8%
  15. Porcelain Tower

71 vote(s)
    45.8%
  16. Great Mosque of Djenne

69 vote(s)
    44.5%
  17. Tower of Piza

52 vote(s)
    33.5%
  18. Notre Dame

98 vote(s)
    63.2%
  19. Louvre

78 vote(s)
    50.3%
  20. Brandenburg Gate

55 vote(s)
    35.5%
  21. Other(please specify in the comments)

22 vote(s)
    14.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Don't we have enough dubious wonders? :rolleyes: I'd call the film industry more of a monstrosity than a wonder these days. :lol:

2. steveg700

steveg700 Chieftain

Bad culture is culture nonetheless. I wouldn't be surprised if certain wonders weren't designated as eyesores in their day. "A giant bronze statue over the harbor? Overcompensating much? Tsk, that's money that could be spent on more social programs!"

Modern wonders are obviously more subjective, since we can take feats of engineering for granted and recreate most wonders that ever existed, and probably in a much shorter time than they were originally constructed. The wonders of antiquity skate by on their place in history when any mammoth labor stood out.

As far as designating a site as a wonder, a la Broadway (or Disneyland or The Vegas Strip, etc.), we have stuff like Chichen Itza, Machu Picchu, and Angkor Wat designated as wonders that opens the door. I wouldn't say the Hollywood sign should be a wonder, but Hollywood itself could be. Then again, I would not disagree with someone who pointed out that America's film studio covers that unique and notable element of world history.

Personally, I think the most compelling cases for wonders now are based on Civ's mechanisms. For instance, a Vegas Strip wonder is compelling to me because it provides an argument for a late-game desert city, and could justifiably provide a significant surge in tourism for a culture victory (one that doesn't involve slots for great works of art). Plus, y'know....big neon cowboy.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  3. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Hoover Dam. :p I am biased because I live relatively close to it. But I suppose I'd settle for 3 Gorges. Hoover Dam is still impressive, they built that thing back before modern air conditioning. It isn't exactly pleasant down in the bottom of Black Canyon.

Ondolindë, Thormodr and steveg700 like this.
  4. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

The sign was originally built to advertise a new residential subdivision called Hollywoodland, with the final four letters removed a few decades later.

5. Chasethemage

Chasethemage Chieftain

In terms of colorful wonders, the Sri ranganathaswamy temple would look beautiful if done in the civ vi art style

6. orasis

orasis Chieftain

Mc'Donalds. It sort of is a modern wonder considering how they changed fast-food and food delivery/storage in general.

7. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Two problems:

First, there's well more than one McDonald's in the world. Second, it's trademarked.

Thormodr likes this.
  8. Thormodr

Thormodr Servant of Civ Supporter

A third problem would be how to model the negative effects of fast food on your nation's health. Lol.

Pythakoreas and Siptah like this.
  9. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Chieftain

Came here to post exactly this.

World wonder: First McDonalds branch

Effect: Increased unrest among populations you are at war with, and +10% gold income for each Civ you have made peace with within the last 20 turns

orasis likes this.
  10. TheSpaceCowboy

TheSpaceCowboy "Save a horse..."

Realistic or not, I’d be happy with the following being the Wonders in the next expansion:

1. Akihabara
    2. Disney World
    3. Gateway Arch
    4. Hollywood
    5. Large Hadron Collider
    6. Louvre
    7. Mount Rushmore
    8. Neuschwantein Castle
    9. Pentagon
    10. Space Needle
    11. St. Peter’s Basilica
    12. Statue of Zeus
    13. Temple of Solomon
    14. Vegas Strip

11. steveg700

steveg700 Chieftain

Now, Mt/ Rushmore is tricky because it has the faces of specific people on it. Would the Civ version bear the same faces, or have faces of different people?

12. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Would be weird having Teddy Roosevelt's face on there if you are playing as China. :lol: . Even more awkward if he's your rival.

Zaarin likes this.
  13. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

Do people zoom enough on the wonders for that to matter? I think I always play on maximum zoom out.

As for the people clamouring for information era wonders, there's a big problem. Such wonders are basically useless, there's isn't enough time in the game for them to pay themselves back.

14. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Warlord

I think I'd give Mt Rushmore a pass anyhow.

15. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Chieftain

I miss the fountain of youth and el dorado from Civ V

I’d love to have a buildable Atlantis wonder unlocked by certain pantheon picks or something

Pythakoreas likes this.
  16. steveg700

steveg700 Chieftain

I liked the ancient ruins from Civ Rev. Some were in the water, so it was another incentive to fast-track some ships.

Could certainly see a DLC with these mythical artifacts. But that's another thread.

17. Katakanja

Katakanja Warlord

I miss Zeus and Machu Picchu too, but I also wouldn't mind seeing the Louvre or Himeji Castle back - I felt like the lack of Japanese wonders in vanilla was a shame, but at least we are now getting Kotoku-in.

It would be nice if Scotland got a wonder at some point, since England has Oxford and Big Ben :p Admittedly I don't know what they could use - Edinburgh Castle? Though I guess that is "just" another medieval castle and the type of bonus you could give it would be defensive in some way, which would be generic enough that any famous castle would work. :think:

Wasn't this one supposed to be in BNW, but got cut for some reason? Possibly just because it was low on the list of priorities and they ran out of time? IIRC there was some loading screen art of it in the final game that could have also been used as the background for the popup when you built it, and some leftover mentions in the game files?

18. Sinchi Wayra

Sinchi Wayra Chieftain

I agree with most suggestions here, but I haven't seen a couple that I definitely want in.

The Nazca Lines first and foremost; could be an early culture or faith desert wonder.

Newgrange as another ancient wonder

The Bamiyan Buddhas as a mountain wonder

Naqsh-e Jahan Square could convert some faith into culture

Shalimar Gardens could give amenities

Zaarin likes this.
  19. pgm123

pgm123 Chieftain

Just a thought. It might be interesting to look at this based on the Civics (and possibly the Tech) tree.

I still hate that the game forces you to start with Code of Laws. I wouldn't mind if there was an alternative first civic. Maybe it could provide you something other than policy cards, if you associate those with a code of laws (a first wonder? a setter?). Something to think about.

Anyway... currently only the Oracle and maybe the Colosseum are Ancient/Classical before Drama and Poetry.

• Foreign Trade allows Joint Wars. Would you put a Wonder there too?
    • Craftsmanship doesn't give anything except policies, but they're good policies. Plus you won't have the card for wonder building.
    • Military Tradition allows Flanking Bonuses. But you could also put a Wonder there to balance Mysticism and Oracle.
    • Drama and Poetry could use a Wonder, even if it doesn't help you get the boost.
    • Military Training parallels Theology, but doesn't have its own Wonder. It seems the religion-based civics get wonders, but not the military ones.
    On the tech tree (Ancient and Classical):

• Currently you have Astrology, Irrigation, Archery, Masonry, Celestial Navigation, Shipbuilding, Mathematics, Construction, Iron Working
    • Ancient: Writing to parallel Irrigation (but you get a district); Bronze Working (provides a district); Wheel (provides a city center building)
    • Classical: Horseback Riding (good tech, but really fits here);
    • Post Classical, Stirrups, Machinery, Military Engineering
    Going off this:

• Bronze Working - Statue of Zeus. This is what it was in Civ V. I'd hate to replicate the same wonder, but it has logic. You could also go with Military Tradition here, but I'm probably reaching here.
    • Drama and Poetry - Parthenon. Also what they had in Civ V, but it makes a lot of sense here.
    • Horseback Riding - Circus Maximus.
    • Military Training - Arg e Bam.
    Any thoughts?

20. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Chieftain

Forget the Nazca Lines, if you want something truly magnificent, go for the Cerne Abbas Giant...

Attached Files: