1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

World Wonders Poll

Discussion in 'Civ - Ideas & Suggestions' started by The Fanatical, Jan 30, 2018.

?

What World Wonders would you like to see next in the game?

1. Statue Of Zeus

93 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Parthenon

73 vote(s)
    47.1%
  3. Pergamon Altar

5 vote(s)
    3.2%
  4. Paradise of Daphne

8 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Circus Maximus

31 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Pantheon(Rome)

40 vote(s)
    25.8%
  7. Temple of Jupiter Maximus

7 vote(s)
    4.5%
  8. Abu Simbel

51 vote(s)
    32.9%
  9. Arg e Bam

15 vote(s)
    9.7%
  10. Solomon's Temple/Herod's Temple

46 vote(s)
    29.7%
  11. Borobudur

74 vote(s)
    47.7%
  12. Moai

40 vote(s)
    25.8%
  13. Machu Picchu

127 vote(s)
    81.9%
  14. Himeji Castle

71 vote(s)
    45.8%
  15. Porcelain Tower

71 vote(s)
    45.8%
  16. Great Mosque of Djenne

69 vote(s)
    44.5%
  17. Tower of Piza

52 vote(s)
    33.5%
  18. Notre Dame

98 vote(s)
    63.2%
  19. Louvre

78 vote(s)
    50.3%
  20. Brandenburg Gate

55 vote(s)
    35.5%
  21. Other(please specify in the comments)

22 vote(s)
    14.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Zaarin

Zaarin My Dearest Doctor

Mt. Rushmore
    Must be built on hills in an occupied, unceded city formerly belonging to a civ you had a treaty with. :mischief:

2. durfal

durfal The Dutch Daredevil

Isn't Disney World becoming more of a National wonder with parks in LA, Orlando, Tokyo, Paris, Hong Kong, Shanghai, and I heard rumors about planned parks in Sydney (Australia) and Antalya (Turkey). There are even less substantiated rumors about parks in Russia, Dubai (UAE), South Africa and South America. It's becoming less and less wondrous, if you even ever could name it that anyway.

3. Sinchi Wayra

Sinchi Wayra Chieftain

Counter point:

Attached Files:

AbsintheRed likes this.
  4. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

That's deliberately there for beginners. It's bad game design to introduce someone to tons of new concepts and systems at the same time. By having no choice for civics at the time, you allow the player to ignore it for ~15 turns or so. Which means they're not overwhelmed at the start, and they have new things to do drip fed to them. Same reason that you can't get a pantheon earlier than that, and why religions/trade routes come even later.

Thormodr likes this.
  5. steveg700

steveg700 Chieftain

For the most part, I feel safe in saying that when someone mentions either Disneyland or Disneyworld, other parties don't reflexively ask which one you're talking about--"oh, South Africa or Hong Kong?" Everybody envisions the same place.

If you have people traveling from all over the world to get somewhere, and when they get there all but the most jaded souls go wide-eyed at the spectacle of it all, you've probably satisfied some major criteria for being considered a modern wonder.

How many tourists does a research station at the South Pole attract?

Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  6. lp_04

lp_04 Chieftain

Santa Maria da Vitória or Monastery of Batalha - Portugal (national pantheon of the second dynasty - classic historical golden age). May be used for increase loyalty pressure or something.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batalha_Monastery

7. pgm123

pgm123 Chieftain

That's a fair point. But we're on an expansion now. Techs start with multiple options.

8. durfal

durfal The Dutch Daredevil

Could be but it also depend on where you live, if anybody here (the Netherlands) for example says they've been to Disneyland, everybody will presume it's been to the one in Paris, unless you explicitly say it is the one in the US or elsewhere, and small kids don't know any better then the one in Paris anyway.
    It even meant that when I was in Orlando I went to Epcot first, I still went to Disney World and some other parks the days after though, even after being to the ones in Anaheim and Paris before, just because I like theme parks :). Even been to the ones in Tokyo and Hong Kong later during my travels around the world :lol:. And they really are all almost the same no matter which one you go too.

But most countries (or even states) in the world have there own "Famous" Theme/Amusement Park(s), which everyone knows at least locally, where you go with the family. So a Modern Age (neutral 1 per civ) "Amusement Park" in game could be OK.
    Though the new Water Park even looks like a Ocean World amusement park with a Ferris Wheel, Aquarium and Aquatic Center, it even got Sea Lions in there :crazyeye:. And the Entertainment Center looks more like a Circus, before the Stadium is build.
    So Disney has maybe the best known commercial "Brand" name for amusement parks, it doesn't mean to me that they are a world wonder.

Not to mention Las Vegas which is more an insane real civ city with a lot of (fake) world wonders build in it. I still enjoyed the place a lot though but nah, not a world wonder to me either.

9. Katakanja

Katakanja Warlord

There's a fun idea - allow civs in the late game to build knock-off replicas of ancient wonders. They don't give you the bonus associated with the real thing, but siphon tourism from the original based on the lifetime amount that it has generated over the course of the game :lol:

10. steveg700

steveg700 Chieftain

Disney set the tone. Everyone else is cribbing their notes. The Vegas Strip? It's an entertainment mecca built in a no-man's land. A wondrous accomplishment indeed, in a similar spirit as Petra. As with Disney, when you see other such meccas around the world, that's Vegas's influence.

Don't fall into the trap of rejecting their historical significance on their very basis of their impact today (that they inspired imitators around the world). Moreover, there's an even more basic quality about them: when these came on the scene, people marveled at them. Which begs the question of what else makes something quality as a modern wonder if those are shrug-inducing qualities.

It's a jaded world where it's easy to take the wondrous for granted. People feel ho-hum about the Statue of Liberty, and their memories consist mostly of getting sore feet walking up an endless stairs. I found the Uffizi to be something of a run-down dump badly in need of LED lighting and a fresh coast of paint.

That would be a fun idea for Vegas Strip. You get tourism and GPT for every wonder built in the game, and the design actually shows some miniature wonders from the current game.

11. Vahnstad

Vahnstad Chieftain

Pff, all those American wonders

And like seriously, McDonalds.

Yeah it's a wonder that 35 to 40% of all Americans are obese? And if McDonalds is a wonder, what about EA, Ikea, PizzaHut, Quick, Samsung, Nokia, Apple, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Fiat, Tesla, Coca Cola, DIsney, Fox and name it... . They can always add something as corporations and improve the economic system of the game late-game, enchance it, make it more complicated, but that will never happen, since they seem to simplify things greatly in this game.

AbsintheRed likes this.
  12. True_Candyman

True_Candyman Chieftain

Yeah, yeah pretty monkey...

IMO its not art unless there's a giant wang involved.

13. Ondolindë

Ondolindë Chieftain

Would love to see both of these from the Tiawanaku ruins:

La Puerta del Sol or The Sun Gate (it would be wonderful if the animation had the sun pierce its opening just like it does on the winter solstice, for example.

Templo de Kalasasaya

14. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

Not far from where you live is the Efteling, one of the most visited independent theme parks in Europe. It's rumoured that Disney himself visited it while looking for inspirations for the Disneyland in Anaheim.

Six Flags and Cedar Fair are two major theme park chains in North America (Six Flags over Texas and Cedar Point are the flagship parks (no points for guessing which chain owns which)); both even have theme parks in Canada: La Ronde in Montreal (Six Flags) and Canada's Wonderland just north of Toronto (Cedar Fair), the latter being among the most attended seasonal theme parks in the world (though behind Efteling).

15. steveg700

steveg700 Chieftain

Yes, America could certainly offer its fair share to the modern wonder department. Had a good run for a while there.

Slow down. Your nation-bashing and your dev-bashing are running together. One diatribe at a time.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
  16. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Warlord

Actually I wouldn't mind seeing a return of corporations. But yeah McDonald's as a wonder is silly. Same with Disney. Not like my awesome suggestion of Hoover Dam, which was good enough to be in Civ2 dammit. :) I think it was in Civ3 as well.

AbsintheRed likes this.
  17. Olleus

Olleus Warlord

I'd prefer sticking to wonders which are well, wondrous, from an architectural/engineering point of view. I know older civs had more abstract wonders (Magellan's voyage in Civ2 for example), but I think there are better ways to represent such achievements in Civ6.

For things like Macdonalds, I wouldn't mind a civic called "Multinational Corporations" or the like. They could give you a flat income of +3 gold per trade post you have established abroad or something. But a wonder? How would that work, it isn't a single localised thing that could be on the map...

Zaarin likes this.
  18. Meluhhan

Meluhhan Chieftain

What about Cristo Redentor?

19. halfhalfharp

halfhalfharp Chieftain

It is good to add more chinese wonders. But the Great Canal...? I don't oppose to the idea that it was a great construction. But what should it look like... its just a canal lol? and it stretches across the entire nation so it wont make sense to exist as a 1 tile wonder. I would propose other wonders that exist as a single building or complex.

p.s. I want Notre Dame too.

20. AbsintheRed

AbsintheRed Chieftain

Actually some Civ IV mods already do this, like History Rewritten: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/about-history-rewritten.431470/
    There are wonders for all civs, including Kongo, Hittites, Tibet, Iroquois, Anasazi, etc.
    (btw, I find the civ roster great in that mod, worth to check it out)
    Hopefully it will also make it into V / VI, like so many things from great Civ IV mods.