1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Worlds Longest CivIII Game

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Strategy & Tips' started by ironfang, Nov 19, 2001.

1. ScrewWorkn

ScrewWorkn Chieftain

Turn off animated battles... It speeds things up a lot!

2. Chillion

Chillion Chieftain

I'm playing a Japanese game on the latest satya world map from apolyton... Huge map, Warlord, 15 other civs.

Turns are excruciating. Im researching Sanitation, a 4 turn improvement (Turkey/Babylon/Caucuses/greece is my location)
    on a Pentium 3 1Ghz with about 20 gigs of free hard drive space and 128 mb of RAM. it takes roughly 15 minutes to complete a single turn, and my empire is really no larger than say 12-15 (im at school currently so I cant check, and if I wanted to it would take 5 mins to load anyway at which point I wouldnt return to forum;P), and I havent gotten anywhere near Africa or South Asia in terms of the civs ive encountered.

I will probably restart on a more conservative huge/7 civs. more empires than nations.:goodjob:

3. Robin

Robin Chieftain

I started a new game a while ago, the map I believe was small, medium difficulty, barbarian=medium.... I'm probably 15hours into the game, around 1550... England just got finished off by Persians, and I've been under siege by Persia and Zululand for about... 200-400 years now. Arghhhh........ All I ever wanted were tanks...

4. Tomji

Tomji Chieftain

I played on the huge earth map with 16 civ's

by the modern age turn took seldom more then 1-2Min's (I keep shift pressed)

then again... I do have an XP1800 and 512 ram

5. knowltok

knowltok Guest

Your specs far outmatch mine, but what does pressing shift do?:confused:

6. mrlobber

mrlobber Chieftain

But I doubt this one will be fixed in the next (and actually the first, as you all know) patch, since Firaxis seem to be still busy with their accounting figures...

That one about "patrol" almost made me laugh... if just it was not so tragic...

7. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

Okay, I think I have one of the world's shortest games. 3 hours. Tiny/Continent/mostly-water/Deity. I played Aztecs and got a lucky start--all 3 civs started on my continent!! I Jaguar-rushed the heck out of 'em. Next thing I know, "You have achieved a Conquest victory"-- in the mid-Ancient Age. What? It's over???

I'm sure you could get shorter if you started with only 1 civ, but...you'd have to try....

8. kelper

kelper Chieftain

Here is my plan of attack: I play about 9 hours a day...my last game (on a tiny map) took me 4 or 5 days!

I won by space race, but could have won by world domination, lots of cities, lots of units, lots of war, etc..

btw:
    900mhz
    640megs o ram
    50 GIGs o space, etc

9. Adam Wallock

Adam Wallock Chieftain

This wide range of performance kinda freaks me out. I have had the game since Day1 and have never waited more than perhaps 1 minute for a turn to pass even in the thick of modern Warfare. I always play Standard, 8 Civs. My machine is an Hp Pavillion, Celeron 733, upgraded to 256MB RAM under WinME. It has crappy integrated Intel 810 Video with 11mb on demand, but I still play in 1024x768. I turn off the enemy animations that seems to free up some resources.

But seriously! My machine is far from top of the line and Civ3 runs smoothly and flawlessly even when I am running other apps in the Background. I don't understand how machines with specs twice as powerful are dragging... Can anyone explain this ?:confused:

10. vihutuo

vihutuo Chieftain

quote:

"I don't understand how machines with specs twice as powerful are dragging... Can anyone explain this ?"

I think its bc most of them are playing on huge maps whereas yours is on a standard map.

On my comp - 1 ghz tbird, 256mb,32mb riva tnt2, Large maps with 8 civs runs fine , takes around 1 min for the ai to finish their moves in the modern age.

But on huge maps it takes double the time.