1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Worst start

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by 68Thor06, Sep 8, 2006.

1. 68Thor06

68Thor06 Chieftain

I had my worst start and couldn't recover. Fractal map, Otto, Noble. Bronze working-no copper. Iron working-no iron. Animal Husbandry-no horses. Rush to Feudalism to get longbowman for defense. Whew made it. Next, shorten the story here, no coal, no oil...bah, no ones trading it to me either. Can't live on Janissaries alone. Time to retire. Anyone else have a bad start? Next time, going to restart after I see there is no copper and no iron.

2. BlackJAC

BlackJAC Prince

Resource wise - it was a tough roll a' the dice, however, I've won games on prince (luckly never encountered this above prince) without any starting resources. All you need are rifles, grenadiers and a few trebs. You can easily capture a few cities only using these units

3. Civ4rulesTH

Civ4rulesTH Warlord

I hate not having either iron, copper or horses as it limits your possibilities immensely. The best thing is to hold tight and hope there is no war really.

Welcome by the way :)

4. HectorSpector

HectorSpector Chieftain

Have started on a 10 tile peninsula on a continents map, separated from the main continent by a mountain tile :mad:

Such a ****** handicap.

5. oopsy poopsy

oopsy poopsy Warlord

I don't think I'd have the stomach for this and reload. Now, it might be very fun depending on if you were playing a level you felt very comfortable at. If you were trying to push the difficulty this would be an insane extra handicap. Having to get galleys before you could make your 2nd city would be aggravating though. Hopefully the capital is a commerce city and not a production city, otherwise ferrying units around all the time would be annoying.

6. HectorSpector

HectorSpector Chieftain

Nah, I chucked it pretty early. Got a settler and warrior over to the mainland asap, and got chewed by a barb archer. It was an emperor game too, and seeing as Monarch is my usual level, I shouldn't even have bothered trying.

7. Older than Dirt

Older than Dirt King

Another reason to always use "balanced" setting - even then things can be dicey.

8. Bushface

Bushface Deity

Recently found myself starting on one of two tundra tiles at the extreme north - and I really mean extreme - of a continent, adjacent to two sea tiles (with Crab each, but I didm't have Fishing) which were ice-blocked from the rest of the ocean. To the south was a vast expanse of ice, six tiles wide, which gave way to treeless and waterless tundra. Here I gave up.

9. Slade19

Slade19 Chieftain

Started as Toku on a continents/random/random/random custom game.

Turned out to be a duel size map against Isabella and Louis XIV. It was just me and Izzy on our continent.

I got started just outside the tundra, and founded my second city on the ONLY reasonable plot available.

By the time my 3rd city had to come, I realized I had spawned a little too close to Izzy and I was completely locked in by cultural borders.

I had to put my 3rd city in a horrible spot, with half of my fat cross tiles being desert and mountains.

I was at the very bottom of the scoreboard with my 2 decent and 1 horrid city. I had no iron, no copper, and no horses. Izzy hated me because of religious reasons and I gifted everything I could in an attempt to break through the diplomatic wall she had put up. Eventually I ran out of options and began the massing of Catapults and Longbows.

65+ cats/longbows later, I declare war on the ***** and clean her off the face of the planet.

She had several cities with 18+ population and had AMAZING tiles. I came back to win a space race victory because Louis was too afraid to attack me because of my massive army of low tech units.

10. Rabbit_Alex

Rabbit_Alex Prince

That's quite an impressive comeback! :goodjob::goodjob: