Worth playing?

telephonik

Chieftain
In your opinion, is it worth learning all the ins-and-outs of this game? By that I mean is the general experience you get from this game worth the effort you put into learning it? How does this game compare with the Civ games? I ask because I want to hear your guys' opinions on this game before I really start playing it :)

I suggest that you just play and see whether you like it. Play a couple of games at the easier difficulty levels. If you have any questions or run into any problems, post here. All you have to lose is a couple of hours of your time. :)

I will put it to you this way. From around 2000 on, SMAC or SMAX has been on my hard drive. I always re install it and always go back, even though sometimes I may get tired of it and let it rest from time to time. Most of the folks vocal about it say the same thing.

This is even with some pretty stout heavy hitter games on my hard drive.

Only thing which may be a turn off is some folks do not get into transhuman sci-fi. The game is also complex even by Civ standards and was a fair critisicism of it, however I think it is a plus. Graphics at least are not Commodore 64 bad or worse ASCII, but newer gamers raised on lots of eye candy may be turned off. However, if that can be gotten past, the gameplay has not been matched even with modern 4x.

Oh yeah, SMAC/X also has storyline! It is like a novel.

Sad, they never really did aything with the franchise. This, along with some other games, are considered cult classic.

It is definitely worth learning to play. I haven't even figured out half the features, and every time I understand another one I start enjoying the game that much more.

Top Bottom