WOTM 69 (Saladin) Final Spoiler - Game Completed

DynamicSpirit

Fear him of the pink tie
GOTM Staff

WOTM 69 Final Spoiler

So how did your game after 1AD go? Tell everyone about your amazing victory (or your embarrassing defeat)!

Reading Requirements

Stop! If you are participating in WOTM 69 then you MUST NOT read this thread unless
  • You have submitted your entry

Posting Restrictions
  • Do not post any savegame file from the game. Discussions and screenshots are fine but not actual games.

The game gradually fell apart for me after a promising start. By 1AD Shaka was toast, but I was one unit shy of taking his capital and it took dozens of turns to march a new stack in to capture it, long delaying the National Epic. Khan attacked me, but did not manage to do much damage before the truce. Monte was easily rolled over, and by 1000AD I reduced him to two offshore cities. I sent my veteran troops against Khan and we essentially traded cities in the second war.

From 1200AD to 1500AD I focused on infrastructure, setting up Banks, Oxford, etc. However, the AIs were easily outpacing me in techs. So, nowhere close to getting a military tech edge I instead built three massive stacks of ~40 units each (mostly Cannons and Grenadiers) and attempted to swarm Khan with overwhelming numbers. It actually worked pretty well - between collateral damage and withdrawals units were being exchanged at close to 1 to 1 rate and three Mongolian cities quickly fell as arrows rained down on tanks. Spaceship parts rolled off production docks elsewhere in the world while Camels led the charge for me.

During the war, Brennis attacked me from the east, and though he never captured a city, his Destroyers starved my Heroic Epic city and I had to divert units to deal with marauding Celtic troops. Eventually my troops stalled out against the fourth Mongolian city just as Bismark declared war (seems like Khan vassaled to him). Now fighting on three fronts with almost no hope of victory, I conceded around 1750AD.

Bummer, wasn't able to finish this because of house renovations and my Civ computer becoming inaccessible. I don't think I got much beyond my 1 AD report, but recall wiping out Shaka. Given Minou's experience, though, I suspect the rest of the game would be quite a challenge so maybe it's good I didn't spend more time on it. ;) Thanks for the game, DS, and sorry I can't even submit an incomplete. Maybe I can finish it later.

I took care of Shaka in short order with elepults. Kublai had become a monster and had actually boxed Monty to the point that he only founded 3 cities. My plan was to stomp Monty right after Shaka and then go for Kublai with Cavalry. Then something I've never seen before happened: Monty peace vassaled to me!

Unfortunately Kublai had already run away with this one. I forgot how nasty warlords ai could be. By the time I had enough cavs to declare he already had rifles. I still took 5 cities before my production just couldn't keep up, and by then he had cavs, rifles, artillery, and SAM infantry and wouldn't capitulate. I probably could have sued for peace and gone for Brennus/Alex/Bismark instead, or just attempted a space race, but my heart just wasn't in it anymore. Game abandoned :(

Hi -

I must have played this map about a dozen times till 800ADish. Like the others, Kublai was just too overpowering. Obviously replaying a game isn't the point of GOTM, but I'm a very casual player, still learning, explore many of the GOTMs and was very intrigued by the map. Very nice.

Do the maps ever get posted after the competition has ended? I really enjoyed this one and would like to try it some more with a little nerfing/edit. :)

Look out for when the results of this game are published (which I'm intending to do this weekend). On all games, at the top of the results, there's a link to download the WorldBuilder file for that game, which you can use to either replay the game or explore the map. So once this game's results are out, you'll be able to download the map. (To get to the game results for any previous game, go to http://gotm.civfanatics.net/ then click on the Results link under C-IV GOTM near the top right of the page).

Also, when we publish the results, we always include a small map of the starting area that shows where everyone who submitted founded their first city.

Oh wow thanks for the heads up DSpirit. I've visited the results page many times, but somehow missed those files. What a great map.

Someday I hope to finish one of these GOTMs as they were meant to be played, submit a save, and be a participant rather than just an onlooker. Sure is a lot of fun and thnx to all that have kept this going for so long.

This map made for quite a challenge!

By following the "obvious" move of sending our Settler 1E to settle on a G Riv Sugar, at least as per the Pre-Game Discussion thread's general consensus, we missed out on getting Copper in our capital's big fat cross.

So, I felt forced to settle a poor City with just dry Rice and Copper to the north east.

Meanwhile, the Barbs were brutal, appearing in pairs of Barb Warriors that swarmed my Warriors. A few times I had to defend against the Barbs in my capital.

I then decided to take the time to research Archery and with Protective Archers, the Barbs became a non-threat.

But, the damage had been done and Monte had enough time to settle where I'd planned to put my third City to the north-west, near a Cow, a Wheat, an Ivory, and a few Jungled Dye Resources (we started with Calendar but not with Iron Working, so Calendar wasn't a particularly strong early-game benefit due to all of the nearby Jungles).

So, I settled a closer City to share some of the capital's Food and started spamming Spearmen, Axemen, and Archers. I captured that City from Monte but then I couldn't find where his other Cities were located... I ended up exploring with my army, vainly searching the darkness, only to discover where Kublai was located and where he had ample room to expand--he would have to be dealt with before he had the chance to become a monster.

Someone had taken out a Barb City to the south-west of our capital area and Monte resettled it, so I turned my army south-west, finding more of his Cities. I just kept spamming Military Units like no tomorrow and took down another City of Monte's, only to accidentally end up splitting up my Axemen (who had been healing) from my stack of Spearmen and Archers, with Monte having a stack of Archers and Chariots in between.

Then, the Barbs landed a Warrior on my captured Jungled Ivory, so I took the risk of having my Archer attack that Barb Warrior, but I lost the fight and the Barbs raised Monte's ex-City. With Monte forcing my Axemen to retreat from his Chariots, I had to pull out a Cease Fire.

I then found Monte's capital and collected enough forces near to it inside of Kublai's Cultural Borders, waiting for Monte to send out a Settler party.

Ironically, had I kept Monte's ex-City, he would have been able to recapture it while I was busy taking down his capital, but instead Kublai resettled the area and Monte had nothing to do with his army except for settle an emergency City. After taking Monte's capital, I made Peace and then decided that Kublai had to go.

I sent a stack of Chariots, a Horse Archer, and an Axeman to Kublai's Copper and placed the rest of my army next to his Horse Resource. Before I had my forces in position, Creative Kublai's Cultural Borders had expanded, making it a lot harder to reach his Copper quickly, but I declared war anyway. I only had to fight a couple of Keshiks, but Kublai pulled out Feudalism and Longbowmen before I could capture even a second City. So, I recaptured the City that he'd resettled in a better location in the ex-Monte location and threw everything that I had at his Horse City, using about 18 units to take down 7 defenders, and yet still taking 2 turns to capture the City.

Meanwhile, Kublai had bribed Shaka on me, and Shaka still didn't have Longbowmen, so I stayed at war with Kublai so that I could keep Pillaging Kublai's Resources (it had turned out that I'd missed seeing his second Copper and his Iron until later, but had gotten his Ivory, so I only saw 2 War Elephants out of Kublai) while playing defensively against Kublai--it was War Elephants, Macemen, Cats, and Longbowmen on Kublai's side against my Archers, Axemen, and Spearmen, but I managed to defend successfully.

After I took one of Shaka's Cities, he learned Feudalism, probably in trade from another warmongering AI, and the war stalled. I took out a nearby Barb City and was forced to Cease Fire with Shaka due to lacking the forces to take his heavily-defended capital and with his Food-heavy capital, Shaka spammed several new Cities in the area.

Meanwhile, I teched up to War Elephants and Cats and sent all of my troops at Kublai, after having failed to take a City by losing a good 15 troops, then with the help of Cats arriving, slowly but surely taking Kublai down.

Eventually, I was able to own our home continent which had generously been large, while each of the other AIs in the game had smaller continents. Unfortunately, due to WFYABTA constraints, the remaining AIs didn't really want to trade with me. I'd been able to trade with Bismarck temporarily by getting him up to Friendly status, but then he settled a City on my continent in a cap left by Kublai's disappearing Culture and got down to Pleased status, due to Close Border Tensions.

Lacking real-lift time to launch an inter-continental invasion with Galleys, and having 5 of the world's Religions on-continent, I settled in for a Cultural Victory, doing whatever I could to keep the remaining 3 AIs pleased with me while continuing to tech up the tech tree. Once I had Rifling and Mass Media, I felt safe enough to turn on the Cultural Slider. With Shaka's awesome capital and its 20+ surplus of Food, I was able to start building Buildings there as late as 1240 AD and still make it one of my Legendary Cities.

I hardly had any Wonders--no Pyramids, no Great Lighthouse, an obsolete Great Library, no Sistine Chapel, but once Alex made a Demand of me that I gave into and he declared war on Bismarck, I knew that it was only a matter of racing through the turns to reach the real-life submission deadline without fear of losing to the AIs.

I had to refuse joining in on the war and to stop trading with both of Alex and Bismarck, further souring my relationship with both of them, but they stayed in their petty war until the end of the game, meaning that their newfound dislike of me wouldn't amount to any further warring.

I'd even converted all of Bismarck's and all of Brennus' Cities to my State Religion, but they adamantly stayed in Religions matching their respective Holy Cities, so I really didn't get much help from the AIs' advanced techs, other than the percentage discount for piggyback research on techs known by other Civs.

It was quite a fun map, and very challenging with all of the warmongers and their mutual liking of each other, and fairly balanced without there being a single other continent on which one super power AI could have emerged--AIs are not very good at vassalling other AIs on other continents. Kublai was definitely the biggest threat, as long as one didn't care that the off-continent AIs grabbed almost all of the World's Wonders, and once Kublai had been neutralized, the game was tense, but winnable. Thanks for the fun game! :cool:

Top Bottom