WOTM16 Final Spoiler

I suspect DynamicSpirit was unconsciously linking the obor in obormot to the German uber ...

obormot etymology:
It seems DS is close to truth. We can find two words in obormot: obor (indeed from uber or ober ) and mot (=squanderer). But real today meaning of obormot was described in my post before.

What English words might sound powerful or magical to the non-speaker? How about Cretin (sounds powerful), Imbecile (sounds magical) and Defective (just one D away from effective)? :lol:
dV

as for me, Defective is much more close to Detective than to effective :mischief:
All your examples are international words. They differ with russian words only by pronunciation.

What English words might sound powerful or magical to the non-speaker?

I know english people can do sit down and stand up.
But why they do not use: sit up and stand down?! :rolleyes: :D

PS I know what is loudspeaker. So non-speaker is broken loudspeaker. :D

:lol: dV, if you are going to try to use english words, make sure they are actual english words, not ones we stole borrowed from other languages :rolleyes:

in case anyone was curious...the original start didn't have stone on that hill. After getting destroyed by the barbs in less than 100 turns, I added them there to make the Great Wall at least a viable option...I hadn't expected nearly EVERYONE to settle on them and build the great wall :lol:

:lol: dV, if you are going to try to use english words, make sure they are actual english words, not ones we stole borrowed from other languages :rolleyes:
True ... my point was what might sound magical or powerful to a person who does not know the real meaning ... but I did not consider the original origins from other languages or the contamination of other languages with English in the way I phrased it. :blush:

dV

in case anyone was curious...the original start didn't have stone on that hill. After getting destroyed by the barbs in less than 100 turns, I added them there to make the Great Wall at least a viable option...I hadn't expected nearly EVERYONE to settle on them and build the great wall :lol:

I wonder... wouldn't settling on the stone to the southeast of that hill have been just as good ? From memory, you get stone also, some gems and some food. On the downside, you settle one turn later, and not on a hill. That would have invalidated my strategy, where I defended my capital very poorly while most of my warriors were out stealing workers.

Edit: on the other hand, if you hadn't put the stone on the hill, I wouldn't have thought to go southeast, probably.

Gosha, if...

BEMEP 'reads' VETER

how does OBORMOT 'read' ?

(to I, it reads OH-BOOR-MOTT)

And the geeky/leet english word that sounds good is 'CELLERDOOR' isn't it?

to I, it reads OH-BOOR-MOTT

you must read "boor" the same way as "mott", so oh-borr-mott. There is no equivalent in english to sound 'rr'. Try to image dog growl - you must get sound enough close to russian 'rr' in "obormot". If you will do that like russian speaking people you must get good result :lol:

I do not understand 'CELLERDOOR' at all. I understand what means door, but what is 'celler'? May be you mean 'cellar'.

Yes, I'll growl like a dog when I say Obormots name, it will be fun !

rr.....rr

And Cellardoor, to me that sounds like a French Town.

Gosha, if... BEMEP 'reads' VETER

BTW, 'BEMEP' does not sound as 'veter'. 'Bemep'='veter' - only! It is case sensitive word. Capital 'M' in russian and in english has same way of writing (and similar sound). Lowercase english letter 'm' in russian means sound 't'.

So 'mama' - means mother if you read it as russian word written by english letters. If you read it as russian word with russian letters it sounds like 'tata' and means father (childish,become obsolete).

Goaded on by DynamicSpirit to post something about my disasters (as well as my successes), here is a brief description of this fiasco.

After practising the fastest way to get GW up settling on the stone (prechopping, etc), I founded there and got the GW up 2530 BC, before there was any damage from barbs.

Founded Uttica NE for wheat, rice, lake, dye and two hills

Was all set to found another city NW for 2 corn, sheep, bannana, copper, horse, marble, gems, incense when musa founded there.

So I became obsessed with taking that ... and right as my six axes and 3 warriors arrived, his wall went up ... already a hill city.

Well, if I did not take that city, the game was going nowhere, so I attacked, and failed miserably. No point continuing, so I exited the game in 580 BC in disgust at my play, and did not submit.

A game for the ambulance graveyard if there ever was one ... :sad:

dV

Top Bottom